News: Woodson says Pay Dak

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If you draft college players based on stats you'll get into trouble quick.

You draft them on talent/upside.

Lawrence is about as talented as it gets and his upside is as high as anyone that's every played in this league.

Lawrence's ceiling was always very good. Not elite. We reached for him in the draft. We reached again when we signed him.

cowboyec

Reaction score
he's 100% correct.
sign Dak.
build around him thru the draft.
this f/o does much better building thru the draft than filling holes in f/a.
sign your own.
build thru the draft.
just stop bargin shopping.
please.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak made more money than anyone on the team this year and played 4 games.

quit acting like he made the league minimum and is in need of the stimulus to pay his rent.
hes eating hot dogs and ramen bro..

he broke and straight disrespected as a player..he could only afford half football field in his backyard..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“This guy is, I'm not going to say that he's a top-five quarterback, but he's the franchise quarterback of the organization, and he's the future of this organization," Woodson said on the "The Jake Asman Show" on SportsMap Radio. "So why not, instead of taking care of all the other players that you've paid, pay the most important player on your football team and make him happy."

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2067870

Another former player. Guess all these guys are wrong and the guys on here who sell skittles for a living know more about football.
Wait just a damned minute. We have some Skittle salesmen here and I am just now finding out about it? Point them out so I can get hooked up with some sour Skittles. Any Starburst salesman here, I'm good for a bag of those too.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
“This guy is, I'm not going to say that he's a top-five quarterback, but he's the franchise quarterback of the organization, and he's the future of this organization," Woodson said on the "The Jake Asman Show" on SportsMap Radio. "So why not, instead of taking care of all the other players that you've paid, pay the most important player on your football team and make him happy."

Another former player. Guess all these guys are wrong and the guys on here who sell skittles for a living know more about football.
I’ll say it, he’s top five. Best quarterback in his draft class

blueblood70

Reaction score

many say pay him but what? hes not getting an blank check homie..no freaking way and if he want even more then last year on non team friendly short deal..he wont get signed , maybe he can get skittles as sponsor make up some salary..

he would be signed already had he not drew a line in concrete and turned it down..

34mil yes 35plus NO WAY!!

Hadenough

Reaction score

He is getting paid! He just didnt get a long term contract. Its not like they didnt try to work things out but it appears that Dak was offered more than fair money and he chose not to sign the contract.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair though, all of these commentators are talking about "pay him the money" but from all information that was leaked about the negotiations, it was not about the money but rather the length of the contract.

The Cowboys wanted 5 years and Dak's agent wanted 4 years.

Tut tut!

Pay him. Make him happy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Much cheaper players get better production, but on a defense like ours? Hard to get many sacks when you're playing from behind in most games. DTs are worthless. Massive confusion in coverage.

By most accounts, Lawrence is playing very well despite the lack of production. He's a very good player, playing very well. That was always his ceiling, IMO. Shouldn't have signed him in the first place, but he's playing well.

I always thought his sack numbers were a mirage. Now the mirage is that he really sucks because he doesn't have sacks. He is more of a Greg Ellis than a War Daddy. He's not cap cancer like Crawford and Jaylon.

I'm not even complaining about the sacks. I think this is what Lawrence is. A 6-10 sack a season guy. I'm not mad at him for his lack of sacks.....I just can't pay that much for what he produces. I'm not advocating getting rid of him but I Think the poster said he is ok with his contract...I can't say that.

MikeB80

Reaction score
What did Dak make prior to this year? You going to pull the “he makes more than all of us” argument? With a Romo picture in your avatar? Lol.

He made what all 4th rounders make based on where he was picked. He is making a ton of money off the field in endorsements because he Plays in Dallas. So I imagine he made a ton more than all the other 4th rounders.

Also important to note He turned down a long term offer because he wants a shorter one so he can double dip and in 3 years do this again and demand a new contract.

He is no victim.

Romo in my avatar means what?

MikeB80

Reaction score
That's a nonsense argument. Every other NFL player that gets hurt still gets paid - that's just how it works, and therefore does not serve as an argument for you.

Neither does the comment about paying his rent. Whether any of these NFL players can survive on less money isn't the issue. The issue is getting paid what a person thinks is fair given the state of the market. Many people could get by with a lower salary, but nobody wants to get paid notably less than their peers.

He got paid the average of the top 5 quarterbacks this season. Ask yourself, is he as good as the top 5 quarterbacks?

This idea that he has been victimized while making more money than anyone on the team this year is laughable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not even complaining about the sacks. I think this is what Lawrence is. A 6-10 sack a season guy. I'm not mad at him for his lack of sacks.....I just can't pay that much for what he produces. I'm not advocating getting rid of him but I Think the poster said he is ok with his contract...I can't say that.

Ok. I think we're about the same. Very good player paid elite money. Bad value. Next year already guaranteed. Probably should move on in 2022.