News: Woodson says Pay Dak

dckid

Reaction score
“This guy is, I'm not going to say that he's a top-five quarterback, but he's the franchise quarterback of the organization, and he's the future of this organization," Woodson said on the "The Jake Asman Show" on SportsMap Radio. "So why not, instead of taking care of all the other players that you've paid, pay the most important player on your football team and make him happy."

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2067870

Another former player. Guess all these guys are wrong and the guys on here who sell skittles for a living know more about football.
These are all talking heads. Jerry is desperately begging ESPN, FS1 to try and drum up some noise so fans don't ignore the Cowboys.
Jerry is finally getting what he deserves. Real fans know that we have been irrelevant in terms of winning anything for a quarter of a century.
Pay Dak, don't pay Dak. The probability is we will be much better off not paying the guy. Don't be stupid.
Having a 40 million dollar anchor who is not Arod, or Wilson, Mahomes, Watson is a waste of cap space. Say thank you to Dak, he got his 33 million dollar parting gift. In the grand scheme of things we got 5 years of a good qb at a reasonable cost. Be smart and realized the team did the right thing. Go find a QB in this draft. There are good ones other than Lawrence or Fields.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Having a 40 million dollar anchor who is not Arod, or Wilson, Mahomes, Watson is a waste of cap space

Go find a QB in this draft. There are good ones other than Lawrence or Fields.

I get your point. But here's the rub:

Unknown if Lawrence is the next Mahomes, or Wilson, etc. Everything points to that. But what if he ends up like RGIII? Couple of nasty injuries and you have a backup running a team full of mediocre players, same as now. Just saying there's risk.

And "there are other good ones..,"? Are you saying Dak isn't good? Thought the problem was Dak "isn't elite" or "isn't a franchise quarterback"? So what does it benefit you to go from one "good" quarterback to another "good" quarterback? If you can't get the "blue chip" quarterback, you're just riding a stationary bicycle, lots of exercise but you aren't going anywhere...

dckid

Reaction score
I get your point. But here's the rub:

Unknown if Lawrence is the next Mahomes, or Wilson, etc. Everything points to that. But what if he ends up like RGIII? Couple of nasty injuries and you have a backup running a team full of mediocre players, same as now. Just saying there's risk.

And "there are other good ones..,"? Are you saying Dak isn't good? Thought the problem was Dak "isn't elite" or "isn't a franchise quarterback"? So what does it benefit you to go from one "good" quarterback to another "good" quarterback? If you can't get the "blue chip" quarterback, you're just riding a stationary bicycle, lots of exercise but you aren't going anywhere...
Good discussion.. the point is why have a 40 million dollar cap hit on a good qb? Don't pay a good QB elite money... simple rule to follow and has worked over the 75 years of the league.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Good discussion.. the point is why have a 40 million dollar cap hit on a good qb? Don't pay a good QB elite money... simple rule to follow and has worked over the 75 years of the league.

Well the cap only came around in the mid 1990's. so the prior 60 years or so there was no cap, teams could pay whatever they wanted. Of course you could say it still applies - Joe Namath got a $427,000 contract in 1965, that a lot of people were saying was totally wrong. It got the Jets their only SB so was it worth it? Some would say yes, some would say no. He was a multiple time AFL player of the year as well....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
and they will do it with Dak and others...The Jones are insecure so they listen to the media to validate their moves.....classic case MM hire
Well in the case of Dak he was a 4th round pick....so if they let him walk the investment wasn’t nearly the same as what they have Zeke. But yeah I expect them to overpay Dak.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's not like you pay elite quarterbacks top money and "good" quarterbacks league minimum. It's a matter of degree. Just on this site we've had posters say pay Dak no more than $20 million, $25 million, $30 million, $35 million, or even his asking price (supposedly) of $40 million. Just how much is he "worth"? And looking at what the cap/quarterback salaries will be in the future, do you "bite the bullet" and pay him $40 mil now, knowing before his contract runs out that won't be top money anymore? So you at least know what you have tied up in your starting (barring injury of course) quarterback for the next few years? Or do you pay him based on costs now and hope there is more cap money available in the future, if your "good" quarterback really blossoms and when his next contract is due you are forced into offering way more than you'd like to spend on the position?

That's one reason why companies pay salary for top people, rather than hourly pay, or rent/lease equipment, easier to set budgets when you can have fixed costs rather than estimated costs. (Though I worked for an insurance company for years and it was evident they paid salary so that they could work you as many hours as they could and it didn't cost them overtime).

It's not so cut and dried as we'd like....

dckid

Reaction score
Well the cap only came around in the mid 1990's. so the prior 60 years or so there was no cap, teams could pay whatever they wanted. Of course you could say it still applies - Joe Namath got a $427,000 contract in 1965, that a lot of people were saying was totally wrong. It got the Jets their only SB so was it worth it? Some would say yes, some would say no. He was a multiple time AFL player of the year as well....

Come on.. you know what I mean? I was not talking about the Namath era. We can say the cap era starting 1994 or even the more recent modern era 2011 cap and beyond.
It does not work out when you pay a good player elite money. And I will double down on that statement.
Baltimore had no choice but to do it after Flacco won the SB in 2012 and it was the wrong decision but one they had to make.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Saints made Brees the highest paid quarterback a few years ago, in fact he held out during camp to get that. That was after his SB win. Was that worth it? No more SBs, though they messed up one shot due to their own defense, and got rooked out of another shot with the blatant missed call, not Brees' fault entirely in either case.

Mahomes got a fat contract, but again after the SB win. Remains to be seen if that was worth it. Matt Ryan, etc. also got top dollar, but no SBs. (Please don't bring up Brady, he already had multiple SB rings and has a wife that makes millions a year herself, it's not applicable in general to this discussion).

As with a lot of things, impossible to make a judgment until after the contracts are over with, or the player is traded, etc....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd rather pay Prescott because he's extremely productive and plays at a high level. I'm opposed to guys getting paid who are not.

Take Crawford for example. 10 million to do what exactly? I don't get wrapped up in what I think a player should or shouldn't make, but if you're going to piss and moan about a player being "overpaid" and he's very good, what's your take on paying a guy who has done literally nothing?
How many sacks did Crawford have? Zero.
How many INTs did Crawford have? Zero.
How many tipped passes did Crawford have? Zero.
Oh, and ZERO tackles. He didn't register a freaking assisted tackle.
Not one statistic vs Baltimore. How is that possible?

He's not the only one getting paid to suck. Smith is right there, but at least he gets a few tackles.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Come on.. you know what I mean? I was not talking about the Namath era. We can say the cap era starting 1994 or even the more recent modern era 2011 cap and beyond.
It does not work out when you pay a good player elite money. And I will double down on that statement.
Baltimore had no choice but to do it after Flacco won the SB in 2012 and it was the wrong decision but one they had to make.

No team "has" to make that decision, just to be exact. The league doesn't make them sign anybody. Couldn't get teams to sign Kapernick, much as they' have liked some team to do.

And yes I do know what you mean....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got paid the average of the top 5 quarterbacks this season. Ask yourself, is he as good as the top 5 quarterbacks?

This idea that he has been victimized while making more money than anyone on the team this year is laughable.
You are changing the argument now - the fact he got paid while injured applies whether he was paid in the top 5 or bottom.

I don't buy that he has been "victimized", and I didn't say that he had been. Both sides have the right to negotiate as they see fit, and have to live with the results of however they negotiate.

But this argument against him isn't reasonable, just as the previous one wasn't. Salary is not a QB ranking. Nobody takes a poll of the best QB's before every new season and the salary of every QB adjusts to fit with that season's poll. Salaries are based on market conditions at a given point in time, and those conditions change every year.

As for what Dak got this year being within the top 5, that's the system, the Cowboys knew what it would cost to franchise Dak under that system, and willingly chose to go that route. Dak didn't screw anyone and the team didn't screw Dak. They both worked within the system that was dictated to them.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Well the cap only came around in the mid 1990's. so the prior 60 years or so there was no cap, teams could pay whatever they wanted. Of course you could say it still applies - Joe Namath got a $427,000 contract in 1965, that a lot of people were saying was totally wrong. It got the Jets their only SB so was it worth it? Some would say yes, some would say no. He was a MULTIPLE time AFL player of the year as well....
Joe Namath was AFL Player of the Year once - 1968, the season the Jets won Super Bowl III.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why fans/posters keep suggesting Dak wants $40M??????? There no proof of it out there, none, zero.......stop it! You can still make your point using the true numbers ( $35-37m) WE'LL have heard.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why fans/posters keep suggesting Dak wants $40M??????? There no proof of it out there, none, zero.......stop it! You can still make your point using the true numbers ( $35-37m) WE'LL have heard.
And some are even saying he didn't sign before the season because he wanted $40 million, and at that time $35-37 million wasn't even in play. Had they been able to agree on tehe number of years it likely would have been $33-35 million.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And some are even saying he didn't sign before the season because he wanted $40 million, and at that time $35-37 million wasn't even in play. Had they been able to agree on tehe number of years it likely would have been $33-35 million.

Exactly.....Stephen just confirmed this week what we knew/heard, the deal wasn't done not coz of money, but contract length meaning they both have a basic agreement on how much he's worth.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys record with Dak 1-3, without Dak 1-5. This team has a lot of issues and paying $40M for Dak won't help resolve them.
2-3 with Dak.....1-5 without.

However Dak loss to the Seahawks, Browns and Rams. Three of the better teams....the backups have lost to dreadful teams like the Giants and Eagles......That' the huge difference.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2-3 with Dak.....1-5 without.

However Dak loss to the Seahawks, Browns and Rams. Three of the better teams....the backups have lost to dreadful teams like the Giants and Eagles......That' the huge difference.
And the offense kept the team close and competitive in those early losses whereas the team has been blown out in several games since then.