World Cup 2014

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
How is it a myth if a European team has never won outside its timezone. Brazil won in Japan/Korea in 2002, in US in 1994

Spain won in Africa in 2010 so technically in Southern Hemisphere but was basically same timezone

Small sample size. The World Cup is only every 4 years and even less so in South America. It's just a stupid argument, European teams will do fine and they will be there long enough to not have jet lag. It's just talent, South America has talented teams. Japan is a different time zone than Brazil... yet they won. It's the same thing as Europe winning in another time zone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I disagree with you when you say Germany is more tactical than anything. Germany is as skilled and talented as any team in the world. You're forgeting Silva with Brazil's backline... They should start Maicon/Silva/Luiz(or Dante)/Marcelo, and I agree they have the best back line.

Silva is imho the best FB in the world. If I omit him it was me typing faster than my brain issue....

I believe Germany is far less skilled than Spain or Brazil. Probably Belgium as well.
But my point wasn't that they lack skill; it is that they play a tactical game. --they are disciplined and execute what the staff asks of them. it is effective but can lack creativity.
I'd contrast them with the Brazilians where as many as 6 guys will be looking to make runs into goal range. Sometimes they are bat bleep crazy runs but they score off that stuff.

I am a fan of Germany and would advise youth players to watch them to learn soccer IQ.
But as a fan being entertained Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay just deliver.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything to that myth... The last World Cup in South America was in 86' and Germany was in the final. A European has made the final in every single World Cup across the pond except for 1930 and 1950. Talent will prevail as it always does. Obviously Brazil has a great shot at winning but you can pretty much guarantee somebody from Europe will be in the final.

It may be overstated but the facts are there.
A lot of WC in the Americas and no European champ yet.

Europe represents a large amount of the field every time so there is probably something to be said for it.
There has been the same impact on NFL teams traveling to just the opposite coast.

By the same token virtually every time the event is held in Europe a Euro team not only wins(all except 1958 where they took 2-4) but they take 3 or 4 of the top 4 places.

Where the event is held has had a huge say. There's been 6 home side winners which is statistically amazing.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Errr..... Hummels, Howedes, Boateng, Mertesacker is easily one of the deepest back lines in the world, if not the deepest. They will be outstanding and if you're that worried about pace you can start Boateng. Not to mention they have the best RB in the world, Philipp Lahm. Then they have the best GK in the world (Neur) who will be backed up by Weidenfeller.

i think hummels is way overrated. Internationally he makes tons of errors and it costs germany goals. Watch how Italy destroyed him last time they played. Against a team like Brazil forget it. I wont be suprised if portugal exploits them game one. Lahm may good offensively but he is not even close to being the best defensive RB in the world. Ill take Coutois over Neuer . I doubt Courtois woulve looked so terrible vs Real Madrid.

MC KAos

Reaction score
I don't see how you can discount the location of the World Cup as not important. It's no accident that no euro team had won outside their continent b4 Spain did it. It took one of the all time greatest teams to break that. Hell, the only South American team to win outside or the Americas was the 58 Brazil team with freaking pele and the 02 team, both among the greatest all time squads. That's why I say, there is no way in hell a European team is winning this World Cup

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It'll be a big factor . The humidity in central / South America should not be underestimated . I visited south and Central America last year(May) , and it's difficult to breath while excercising . It will be a huge advantage to south and even Central American teams .

joseephuss

Reaction score
What does that have to do with the point being made.

What is the point being made? You are the one that brought up time zone with respect to Spain winning in South Africa. That same standard that you applied to Spain's victory applies equally to Brazil winning in the U.S. in 1994. South Africa is one time zone ahead of Spain. Brazil is one to two time zones ahead of the United States. Both situations are both basically the same time zone.

JBS

Reaction score
im in for a tough world cup. i really dont like any of the elite teams. definitely dont want germany, argentina, or brazil to win. id prefer if spain didnt win either. i find it hard to believe anybody else will win but i will definitely be rooting for it to happen.

id love for belgium to make a run. i think they have a great squad, so they are probably my best hope. i love netherlands, but not sure what to expect from them. my wife is colombian, so it would be great if they made a deep run, but im not sure they are quite good enough to do it. I think England is better than most expect, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
im in for a tough world cup. i really dont like any of the elite teams. definitely dont want germany, argentina, or brazil to win. id prefer if spain didnt win either. i find it hard to believe anybody else will win but i will definitely be rooting for it to happen.

id love for belgium to make a run. i think they have a great squad, so they are probably my best hope. i love netherlands, but not sure what to expect from them. my wife is colombian, so it would be great if they made a deep run, but im not sure they are quite good enough to do it. I think England is better than most expect, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

Sounds like you don't have any beef with Italy ? I think they make it to the final but lose to Brazil .

JBS

Reaction score
Sounds like you don't have any beef with Italy ? I think they make it to the final but lose to Brazil .

have nothing against italy. id have to peep there roster to know for sure...i dont follow italian soccer very much

JBS

Reaction score
italian midfield is stacked...not a big fan of mario b...but i love their midfield

JBS

Reaction score
I'm really liking englands wc squad. I hope they do well. They have a very balanced team

joseephuss

Reaction score
I didn't think Uruguay was a contender for this WC, but I did think they were capable of playing spoiler at some point. Now probably not.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27514880

Luis Suarez: Uruguay hopeful on striker's World Cup chances

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez could play at the World Cup despite having surgery on an injured knee, according to the country's football association.

The Liverpool striker "suffered intense pain" in training on Wednesday and had an operation to repair meniscus damage.

"Suarez might be ready to play in Brazil," said the Uruguay Football Association (AUF) in a statement.

Estimates on his recovery range from 15 days to a minimum of four weeks with Uruguay's Group D opener on 14 June.

They then face England in their second group game in Sao Paulo on 19 June.

The statement added that "no other damage to the knee was spotted".

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-21/colombia-to-make-last-minute-falcao-call/5468758

Colombia to make last-minute Radamel Falcao injury call for 2014 World Cup

Radamel Falcao, Colombia's big hope for the World Cup, but also a major injury doubt, will join the country's squad in Buenos Aires in preparation for the tournament in Brazil, the Colombian Football Federation (FCF) said on Tuesday.

That ended rumours that the striker was set to travel to Bogota to announce that he would not be going to Brazil, having failed to fully recover from knee ligament surgery.

"Radamel Falcao Garcia will join his team-mates in Buenos Aires. At present, the forward is continuing with his physical work at his club Monaco," the FCF said in a statement.

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...u-s--s-23-man-world-cup-roster-214259229.html

Landon Donovan misses out on the U.S.'s 23-man World Cup roster, heads explode

he U.S.'s final 23-man World Cup roster has been released and Landon Donovan, the country's all-time leading scorer, is not a part of it. Donovan was by far the most surprising of seven cuts that also included Maurice Edu, Michael Parkhurst, Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson, Joe Corona and Terrence Boyd.
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...u-s--s-23-man-world-cup-roster-214259229.html

Landon Donovan misses out on the U.S.'s 23-man World Cup roster, heads explode

he U.S.'s final 23-man World Cup roster has been released and Landon Donovan, the country's all-time leading scorer, is not a part of it. Donovan was by far the most surprising of seven cuts that also included Maurice Edu, Michael Parkhurst, Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson, Joe Corona and Terrence Boyd.
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

its both a sad and exciting day for USA soccer. As a galaxy and USA fan I'm gutted by this decision. But if i am honest , Donovan has not looked good at all this season. Yes i know he is a legend and I'm one of his biggest fans. But sometimes you've got to head in a different direction. I give Klinnsman credit for having the fortitude to make this call.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Donovan always steps up for the National team and his experience out there will be desperately needed.

Absolutely stupid move that the US will regret come world cup.

He is still our first or second best attacker regardless. Good one Klinsmann.