World Cup 2014

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Um Donovan looked great at Everton (I would bet you didn't watch him there , I won't even ask ) So good they wanted to permanently sign him . Donovan refused and wanted to play in USA to continue to grow soccer here.He was also offered a contract with AC Milan just over a year ago . He consistently refused offers overseas to grow soccer here.Who is calling him elite ? Very few are elite , Ronaldo , messi , insiesta , hazard those are elite . But Donovan is by far the best American outfield player in history . Not acknowledging that is pure soccer ignorance . He was a very talented player and proved himself time and time again on international stages . He was named on fifas best 11 world all team in in 2010 . You don't know his story it's obvious your talking out of your ..,,in fact it's so dumb you're going on ignore .

He did not prove himself with Everton and it wasn't a huge deal that Bayern signed him on loan. If he was truly elite those teams would have kept him on. They chose not to extend loan deals or sign him out right. Teams just don't let elite players walk away. MLS would have grown with or without him. That is just a poor excuse as to why he wasn't playing in Europe. He didn't garner great interest from the top teams, so he chose to stay in the MLS. He is perhaps the best US player, but that doesn't make him an elite international talent. I am constantly amazed at the overrating Donovan receives.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
BTW very good win today vs a good Turkish side today for our Yanks . Minus the last brain fart by chandler a solid game . A win is a win . If we can beat turkey we can beat Portugal .

joseephuss

Reaction score
Um Donovan looked great at Everton (I would bet you didn't watch him there , I won't even ask ) So good they wanted to permanently sign him . Donovan refused and wanted to play in USA to continue to grow soccer here.He was also offered a contract with AC Milan just over a year ago . He consistently refused offers overseas to grow soccer here.Who is calling him elite ? Very few are elite , Ronaldo , messi , insiesta , hazard those are elite . But Donovan is by far the best American outfield player in history . Not acknowledging that is pure soccer ignorance . He was a very talented player and proved himself time and time again on international stages . He was named on fifas best 11 world all team in in 2010 . You don't know his story it's obvious your talking out of your ..,,in fact it's so dumb you're going on ignore .

I watched most of the games I could while he was at Everton. He didn't look great.

Who is calling him elite? You did. It was in the post to which I responded. I don't think he is elite, which doesn't mean he isn't the best U.S. player. Where did I not acknowledge that?

I don't care about his story. He was too afraid to play full time against the best competition, so he stayed with the MLS. He also wasn't getting the best offers from the best and biggest teams in terms of contract length and money. A one year offer from AC Milan for little pay was the best he was ever going to get from a top notch team and he thought he was too good for that.

http://www.fifpro.org/en/news/fifpro-proudly-presents-2010-fifa-fifpro-world-xi

The 2010 FIFA FIFPro World XI consists of the following players:

Goal: Iker Casillas (Spain, Real Madrid);
Defence: Maicon (Brazil, Internazionale), Lúcio (Brazil, Internazionale), Gerard Piqué (Spain, Barcelona) and Carles Puyol (Spain, Barcelona);
Midfield: Wesley Sneijder (The Netherlands, Internazionale), Xavi (Spain, Barcelona) and Andrés Iniesta (Spain, Barcelona);
Attack: Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona), David Villa (Spain, Barcelona) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid).

JBS

Reaction score
There are hundreds of donovans in europe... Lets not kid ourselves here

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
United States national team
  • United States all-time goalscorer (57)
  • United States all-time assists leader (57)[59][60]
Major League Soccer[edit]
  • Career regular seasons goals list: 1st place
  • Career regular seasons assists list: 2nd place
  • Career playoff goals list: 1st place
  • Career playoff assists list: 4th place

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
GO LEARN TO READ , NEVER CALLED HIM ELITE.
I watched most of the games I could while he was at Everton. He didn't look great.

Who is calling him elite? You did. It was in the post to which I responded. I don't think he is elite, which doesn't mean he isn't the best U.S. player. Where did I not acknowledge that? NEVER CALLED HIM ELITE GO LEARN TO READ.

I don't care about his story. He was too afraid to play full time against the best competition, so he stayed with the MLS. He also wasn't getting the best offers from the best and biggest teams in terms of contract length and money. A one year offer from AC Milan for little pay was the best he was ever going to get from a top notch team and he thought he was too good for that.

http://www.fifpro.org/en/news/fifpro-proudly-presents-2010-fifa-fifpro-world-xi
The 2010 FIFA FIFPro World XI consists of the following players:
Goal: Iker Casillas (Spain, Real Madrid);
Defence: Maicon (Brazil, Internazionale), Lúcio (Brazil, Internazionale), Gerard Piqué (Spain, Barcelona) and Carles Puyol (Spain, Barcelona);
Midfield: Wesley Sneijder (The Netherlands, Internazionale), Xavi (Spain, Barcelona) and Andrés Iniesta (Spain, Barcelona);
Attack: Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona), David Villa (Spain, Barcelona) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Was glad Gonzales was firmly rooted to the bench.
US looked good in attack vs Turkey, shaky when asked to just defend.
My biggest concern right now is the US backline building chemistry and timing.
Really like Fabian Johnson and Timmy Chandler for the speed they bring.

Need Jozy to get a finish in the next game so we can stop talking about his drought.
He has done good work up top but it's going to be a story until he finishes one.
Hate that goal was wiped out if only to move the narrative along.

Donovan:
He was not very good in Germany early in his career (thought that development laid the foundation) but he was very good for Everton when he was at his peak. He was a top 50 player in Europe(the world) in 2010 easily.
He should have never been playing in MLS. I hate the fact we are using the best American players to build a league instead of develop them to their fullest.
ALL of our best players have developed elsewhere.
It's like the Euro basketball players in reverse. Nothing really matters until they get to the US.
Donovan dominating MLS then taking a sabbatical was why he is not on the team.
Bradley and Dempsey probably won't make the US squad in 4 years if they don't play above MLS level the next 4 years.

Its a shame Guiseppe Rossi decided to be permanent man 24 in Italy... instead of a starting American.

joseephuss

Reaction score

• Fifa Best 11 2010 World cup

This is the second link I have provided that does not list Donovan as either FIFA Best XI of 2010(which is what you said initially) or FIFA Best XI of the 2010 World Cup(which you have changed the standard).

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/w...2/world-cup-2010-fifa-all-star-team-announced

Iker Casillas

Maicon - Sergio Ramos - Carles Puyol - Philipp Lahm

Wesley Sneijder - Xavi - Bastian Schweinsteiger - Andres Iniesta

Diego Forlan - David Villa

GO LEARN TO READ , NEVER CALLED HIM ELITE.

I read fine. Here is what you wrote. Your words.

He was an elite talent and easily the USA's best offensive player ever.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bradley and Dempsey probably won't make the US squad in 4 years if they don't play above MLS level the next 4 years.

I agree. Plus Dempsey will be 35 years old at that time, so I hope some other options have developed by then.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can say whatever you want about Donovan but if there is 20 minutes left in a match and you need a goal there is not a lot of guys you would want over him. Another reason I can't believe he is not going to the World Cup.

The US looked good yesterday. Turkey is no pushover. They are right there with Ghana imo.

I thought the attack looked a lot better. Michael Bradley was the opposite of what he was in the first friendly.

The clinical play in the final 3rd has to get better. Hopefully this will get straightened up.

I would like to see more of Brooks at CB. He played really well when he was in there. The starting CB's kept getting separated.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Brooks will be our best defender, I was excited when he got selected. Has Aron Johannsson seen any playing time?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You can say whatever you want about Donovan but if there is 20 minutes left in a match and you need a goal there is not a lot of guys you would want over him. Another reason I can't believe he is not going to the World Cup.

The US looked good yesterday. Turkey is no pushover. They are right there with Ghana imo.

I thought the attack looked a lot better. Michael Bradley was the opposite of what he was in the first friendly.

The clinical play in the final 3rd has to get better. Hopefully this will get straightened up.

I would like to see more of Brooks at CB. He played really well when he was in there. The starting CB's kept getting separated.

If you could have played Donovan in that role I'd have liked it but it probably would have been a big distraction for him to be on the bench.

Agreed on Brooks. He certainly looks the part. Big, athletic dude that will become a backline mainstay.
US could have a top 10 backline in 4 years.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you could have played Donovan in that role I'd have liked it but it probably would have been a big distraction for him to be on the bench.

Agreed on Brooks. He certainly looks the part. Big, athletic dude that will become a backline mainstay.
US could have a top 10 backline in 4 years.
Tangent, but, realistically, you could see almost an entirely different 11 in 2018 than in 14.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

brooks was impressive toward the end. Gotta agree with that final 3rd though . Missing that one last pass.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Tangent, but, realistically, you could see almost an entirely different 11 in 2018 than in 14.

with the exception of bradley and fabian johnson i have to agree. We have lots of young players overseas on some top clubs coming through the ranks. Junior Flores at Dortmund and Zelaham At Arsenal are particular top talents.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
with the exception of bradley and fabian johnson i have to agree. We have lots of young players overseas on some top clubs coming through the ranks. Junior Flores at Dortmund and Zelaham At Arsenal are particular top talents.
The combination of young guys and old guys on this roster should mean lots of turnover, regardless.

I can't imagine Dempsey, Howard, Jones, Beasley, even Howard who would be 39...on the next roster. If Jozy doesn't perform well, at 28, I'd bet he's out too.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The combination of young guys and old guys on this roster should mean lots of turnover, regardless.

I can't imagine Dempsey, Howard, Jones, Beasley, even Howard who would be 39...on the next roster. If Jozy doesn't perform well, at 28, I'd bet he's out too.

they'll all be out except maybe Dempsey , he keeps himself in top shape. I don't think he'll be starting anymore but he should still be part of it.