World Cup 2014

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
Not a fan of Italy this time through. Too much age amongst their best players. Their style can give anyone fits tho.
Very much like Chelsea this year under Mourinho. Defend and outwork teams.

Donovan was always one of my favorite players so it sucks he missed the cut but I respect Klinnsman enough to not doubt the move.
Donovan hasn't been as good lately and it seldom helps to take a lot of age to the WC.
The US is loaded with kids but that makes sense considering they are hardly favorites.
Experience for 4 years form now matters more than rewarding old guys.
Sadly, Donovan, needed to be cut unless he was first team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
gonna toss 100 at the US and 100 at Belgium for bets.
Crazy good odds for US tho an extreme long shot.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Donovan always steps up for the National team and his experience out there will be desperately needed.

Absolutely stupid move that the US will regret come world cup.

He is still our first or second best attacker regardless. Good one Klinsmann.
I dont really agree with that. He's proven time and time again that, against the elite defenses, he isn't an elite offensive player.

In 2010 he had the goal against Algeria, scored against Slovenia, and then had a PK goal against Ghana.

In 2006, the US managed one measly goal in the entire group stage. It was scored by Dempsey, I think.

In 2002, in the QF against Germany, he had a golden opportunity to score and choked it away.

He's been good, not great, internationally, and against teams like England, Slovakia, and Italy was a non-factor. At some point, you have to move on.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I dont really agree with that. He's proven time and time again that, against the elite defenses, he isn't an elite offensive player.

In 2010 he had the goal against Algeria, scored against Slovenia, and then had a PK goal against Ghana.

In 2006, the US managed one measly goal in the entire group stage. It was scored by Dempsey, I think.

In 2002, in the QF against Germany, he had a golden opportunity to score and choked it away.

He's been good, not great, internationally, and against teams like England, Slovakia, and Italy was a non-factor. At some point, you have to move on.

I agree.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Donovan is the greatest player in American history . But as a galaxy fan , let me say this , he has been bad . Poor form , looks slow and out of fitness . I know we all expect him to be able to flick that switch on the biggest stage but , at some point you can't rely on that anymore . That is why I respect klinnsman's decision to try something new and exciting .

Rogah

Reaction score
Donovan is the greatest player in American history . But as a galaxy fan , let me say this , he has been bad . Poor form , looks slow and out of fitness . I know we all expect him to be able to flick that switch on the biggest stage but , at some point you can't rely on that anymore . That is why I respect klinnsman's decision to try something new and exciting .
It wasn't about something new and exciting. It was personal. And when the guy's son make a tweet (I swear I am not making this up): "HHAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA." then you know the talk around the Klinnsman dinner table involves something a bit more than just impartial analysis of the Donovan's soccer ability.

Landon Donovan is having, by his standards, a down year. BUt there is no way there are 23 U.S. players better than him.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It wasn't about something new and exciting. It was personal. And when the guy's son make a tweet (I swear I am not making this up): "HHAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA." then you know the talk around the Klinnsman dinner table involves something a bit more than just impartial analysis of the Donovan's soccer ability.

Landon Donovan is having, by his standards, a down year. BUt there is no way there are 23 U.S. players better than him.

IT was about something new and exciting . Julian Green is just that. I watch every single Galaxy game in person as a ticket holder. Donovan is not a world cup player right now. He is also out of shape , there are several pictures around to prove this. 0 goals 1 assist this season for Galaxy is not productive. If Donovan was dominating and scoring goals like his usual self this wouldn't even be a conversation. For those who think its something personal , explain why donovan has been called up by klinnsman several times in the past?

did you watch mexico vs USA april 2nd? did that look like a world cup player ? have you watch any Galaxy games ? Landon has looked bad ! and this is coming from one of his biggest fans :( . In Donovan position , rite now he is NOT better than zusi , bedoya , Wondo or even julian green. Only guy he could make a case for is Brad Davis . Ill trust klinnsman knows what he is doing this has been the best year in USA soccer history.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Putting the best team together is not only about choosing the best players, but also choosing the players that fit the best. Ideally the best players are also ones that fit the system the best; however, that is not always the case. Donovan does not fit in with what Klinnsman is trying to accomplish and most could see that when Klinnsman took over and Donovan went on his sabbatical. I don't consider it a 100% personal decision, but it plays a part as it often does. Argentina made a similar choice when they left Carlos Tevez off their team. He is a talented player, but a bit of a headache.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think the USA team deserves its own thread instead of the posting about them in the Prem. thread.

Anyways.. We play Turkey Sunday. I'm hoping Donovan finds his way back onto the roster at some point

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
lets see what happens sunday first. If you watched the 30/30 inside USMNT tonight . We all saw that the players were tired. Thats why we started with a weaker opponent. Lets see what happens Sunday vs Turkey. A win would be a great result. Do you foresee any lineup changes ?

ill like your post if you delete that Donovan comment lol . Lets move on !

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
lets see what happens sunday first. If you watched the 30/30 inside USMNT tonight . We all saw that the players were tired. Thats why we started with a weaker opponent. Lets see what happens Sunday vs Turkey. A win would be a great result. Do you foresee any lineup changes ?

ill like your post if you delete that Donovan comment lol . Lets move on !

I missed it. I usually watch it a day later on youtube so I can see it commercial free.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Here is a video discussing the USA's formation. Something we were discussing yesterday

I agree with the guy on the left. I want to see the 4-2-3-1.

erickb

Reaction score
I am glad LD is gone, he is NOT the best US Player ever, maybe to those that only watch the LA Galaxy or MLS he is but when you see what Americans can and have done overseas he is in the middle of that group! Look at some of the past and present US Goal Keepers alone. That being said, I hope the US can make a surprise run or at least play competitive, they don't have to win just need to hang with the best. Well except for Ghana they need to destroy them lol

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
What is this "soccer" you speak of?
tis the world most popular sport friend. The WORLD CUP !!!! i think its a great sport once you understand and it helps the USA is really making strides , gaining popularity!!!

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I am glad LD is gone, he is NOT the best US Player ever, maybe to those that only watch the LA Galaxy or MLS he is but when you see what Americans can and have done overseas he is in the middle of that group! Look at some of the past and present US Goal Keepers alone. That being said, I hope the US can make a surprise run or at least play competitive, they don't have to win just need to hang with the best. Well except for Ghana they need to destroy them lol

goalkeepers aside , he is the best outfield USA player ever. It doesn't matter if you like him or not . Is he now ? Not even close and he shouldn't have made the team. But , he has played his best soccer in the biggest stages world cups . He has proven himself at everton and was signed by bayern munich .He had several offers to stay at everton , to sign with AC Milan etc , but he chose to stay in MLS to grow the league. He was an elite talent and easily the USA's best offensive player ever.

Bigdog

Reaction score
goalkeepers aside , he is the best outfield USA player ever. It doesn't matter if you like him or not . Is he now ? Not even close and he shouldn't have made the team. But , he has played his best soccer in the biggest stages world cups . He has proven himself at everton and was signed by bayern munich .He had several offers to stay at everton , to sign with AC Milan etc , but he chose to stay in MLS to grow the league. He was an elite talent and easily the USA's best offensive player ever.

Agree. What gets me about the decision is Klinsman basically went back on his word that you have to be playing for your club. Green wasn't even playing for his 1st team club but was on the 4th team reserve. I am hoping that he turns out to be what everyone thinks he will be and not another Freddy Adu. One can argue that Donovan waffled on his comittment to the team but so did Chandler who only played in one game for the US in qualifying (I admit he was hurt ) but would not play in some friendlies.

joseephuss

Reaction score

He did not prove himself with Everton and it wasn't a huge deal that Bayern signed him on loan. If he was truly elite those teams would have kept him on. They chose not to extend loan deals or sign him out right. Teams just don't let elite players walk away. MLS would have grown with or without him. That is just a poor excuse as to why he wasn't playing in Europe. He didn't garner great interest from the top teams, so he chose to stay in the MLS. He is perhaps the best US player, but that doesn't make him an elite international talent. I am constantly amazed at the overrating Donovan receives.