World Cup champ scores 8 goals in 7 games. Outstanding!

jimmy40

Reaction score
What a snoozefest soccer is. Can anyone imagine the Super Bowl champ scoring 4 times in the playoffs?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40;3457086 said:
What a snoozefest soccer is. Can anyone imagine the Super Bowl champ scoring 4 times in the playoffs?

As long as it is the Cowboys and they win the Super Bowl, I'm okay with it :D :D

-Reality

joseephuss

Reaction score
jimmy40;3457086 said:

I can imagine a team winning the Superbowl by playing great defense and limiting how much the other team scores. That and controlling the ball. Dallas did that in 1971 when they won the SB. They allowed only 18 points in 3 post season games and controlled the clock with the running game. They only passed for 257 yards total in all 3 games combined.

Spain did the same thing. They controlled the clock and only gave up 2 goals in the whole tournament.

You may think it is a snoozefest. I won't try to change your mind on that. It is how good soccer is played. Many times it is how good football is played as well. You will win a lot of NFL games by controlling the clock and playing great defense. You won't have to score a lot of point to do it, either.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
joseephuss;3457109 said:
I can imagine a team winning the Superbowl by playing great defense and limiting how much the other team scores. That and controlling the ball. Dallas did that in 1971 when they won the SB. They allowed only 18 points in 3 post season games and controlled the clock with the running game. They only passed for 257 yards total in all 3 games combined.

Spain did the same thing. They controlled the clock and only gave up 2 goals in the whole tournament.

You may think it is a snoozefest. I won't try to change your mind on that. It is how good soccer is played. Many times it is how good football is played as well. You will win a lot of NFL games by controlling the clock and playing great defense. You won't have to score a lot of point to do it, either.
Even in the modern era... the 2000 Ravens gave up 23 points in 4 post-season games... or less than 6 per game, not even a full touchdown w/ extra point. They did score 34 points in the Super Bowl in an offensive explosion for them however.

jimmy40

Reaction score
peplaw06;3457160 said:
Even in the modern era... the 2000 Ravens gave up 23 points in 4 post-season games... or less than 6 per game, not even a full touchdown w/ extra point. They did score 34 points in the Super Bowl in an offensive explosion for them however.
and even they managed at least 3 scores per game

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Not a snoozefest at all. Spain was definitely a low scoring team but there were some other great scoring sides, most notably the two teams that played in a pretty exciting third place game. It's too bad Torres couldn't get on form he definitely could have added some goal scoring to Spain but he never really played up to his potential.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It wasnt a snooze fest it was a flop fest! Any time a player was touched, tapped or bumped they fell down and acted like they were shot or suffered a career ending injury. 10 seconds later they were perfectly fine and running around like nothing happened.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know how any NFL fan can complain that soccer is a snooze fest. NFL games are littered with inactivity. Just look at the Super Bowl. Consider the average play lasts an average of 10 seconds, we will be generous here and make it 15 seconds. In the Super Bowl a total of 122 plays were ran. 122 plays at 15 seconds each is a total of 1830 seconds of activity or 30.5 minutes. In 3+ hours of watching the Super Bowl you saw half an hour of play on the field.

That is WAY more exciting than 120+ minutes of near-nonstop action for the World Cup Final :rolleyes:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Near nonstop action? Which World Cup were you watching, surely not the same one I was.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Cythim;3457815 said:
I don't know how any NFL fan can complain that soccer is a snooze fest. NFL games are littered with inactivity. Just look at the Super Bowl. Consider the average play lasts an average of 10 seconds, we will be generous here and make it 15 seconds. In the Super Bowl a total of 122 plays were ran. 122 plays at 15 seconds each is a total of 1830 seconds of activity or 30.5 minutes. In 3+ hours of watching the Super Bowl you saw half an hour of play on the field.

That is WAY more exciting than 120+ minutes of near-nonstop action for the World Cup Final :rolleyes:

Every single time the ball is snapped in an NFL game it can lead to a score by either team, something that soccer fans cannot claim.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3457830 said:
Every single time the ball is snapped in an NFL game it can lead to a score by either team, something that soccer fans cannot claim.

No, because the ball is not snapped. However, they can claim that every single second the players are on the field a goal could be scored. The NFL cannot claim that.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Cythim;3457833 said:
No, because the ball is not snapped. However, they can claim that every single second the players are on the field a goal could be scored. The NFL cannot claim that.

Yeah, right. I do watch a bit of soccer and the bolded is patently absurd.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cythim;3457815 said:

An NFL time out is more interesting than an entire soccer match.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3457837 said:
Yeah, right. I do watch a bit of soccer and the bolded is patently absurd.

You started the patently absurd comments, not me. We are talking possibility, not probability and both statements hold true along the lines of what is possible. In the Super Bowl either team had the possibility of scoring on 122 attempts. During the World Cup Final either team had the possibility of scoring during any of the 7200 seconds that were being played. The probability of either happening are low (though yes, in the NFL it is measurably more probable for a team to score) but with soccer you get the excitement of never knowing when it would happen.

burmafrd

Reaction score
in soccer you get the excitement of knowing it will almost never happen.