World Cup champ scores 8 goals in 7 games. Outstanding!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
DallasEast;3458138 said:
Really? I've often believed that non-baseball fans simply hate the over-extended pace of the game. Heck, some are bewildered over the need of a 'seventh inning stretch' or the need for a substitute pitcher to warm up after watching him warm up in the bullpen, etc.

I haven't observed the same opinions centered on scoring, perhaps baseball's scoring is way more varied than soccer's. For example, scoring in baseball games can typically range from 1-0 to 9-7, sometimes happening as often between the same two teams playing each other during doubleheaders on one day.

The anti-comments I have listened to are often, "It makes no sense for hitters to stand outside the batter's box forever!" or "Why is the manager talking to the pitcher for the umpteenth time?" or "What's with the fifteen throws to first base? He's not going to freeze that guy! Throw home, #%&$#!" or etc., etc. Negative comments concerning scoring? Not so much.

Just my two cents.
Yes, there are other critiques of the game. But scoring is one of them, at least I've heard it. It's probably not as big of a critique as was during the dead-ball era.

joseephuss

Reaction score
People who don't get soccer will never get soccer. That is not meant as a put down, either. I know typically when someone says, "you just don't get it" they use it in a negative fashion. My stance is more of a factual one. If you don't like something , you have your reasons and are not likely to change. Just the way it is.

It does not make someone dumber or smarter than another. Same goes with pretty much anything. I don't get hockey. I don't get NASCAR. I don't get American Idol. Doesn't make me more ignorant than those that do. It also doesn't make me more intelligent than those that do. I doubt anything will ever change my opinion on these subjects and am fine with that.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
peplaw06;3458057 said:
Problem is, the US did just that in their second game of the World Cup... only to have the 3rd and game-winning goal taken away by a horrible ref.

*GASP* I'm sure no other sports have horrible officiating.

Yeah, it was a bad call BUT the game ended 2-2. There was no comeback win was there? Officials, just like in every other sport that has them, are human.

Point is, you named one match, that ALMOST had a comeback win, but didn't. If someone comes back from 2 goals it's considered a classic game. It's completely lame.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Going by the BBC coverage as well as what many lifelong soccer fans here in Cyprus have told me ... this World Cup final was an anticlimactic disappointment. Folks here are generally pleased that Spain won, but not particularly impressed with their performance. Actually, most fans here are more psyched up to watch Champions League play. Because after the World Cup, there is no break. Professional league play is underway.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peplaw06;3458226 said:
I wish I believed that you didn't read the entire post before responding. Alas, I do not. You'd be paying for those Vegas odds.
I'd take a lie detector test if you really want to push the point.

This is the "Sports Zone." Last I checked, soccer was still a sport.
So is bashing it. :)

Finally, you got the point. Yay Hos! The best points are the most elementary... especially when the other side of the debate is against it. I actually got you to admit what I was trying to get you to admit. I should win some kind of award.
Wait, so you are now saying that soccer fans were disappointed for 6 games but happy with only the final win?

I'm not going to buy that Pep.

Like I said above, you'd lose money on those odds.

Hey... Hos understood another point! Kudos. But you don't understand the belief. I'll put money on the Vegas odds that you are as closed-minded with any discourse on that topic as you usually are.
Close minded on baseball? No, not really. Close minded on soccer? Absolutely.

No one is ever going to make me change my mind about soccer. If I were single and a woman who looked like Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Alba who was beyond wealthy and wanted nothing more than to travel the world enjoying the finest things of life, having sex with me and her only requirement in return was that I attend soccer matches with her in the places we visit...I might actually tell her goodbye.

Why would I post one? I am a baseball fan.
I have no idea. I didn't bring it up like it's some kind of a foul calamity that they don't exist.

I take it by your lack of response to that point that you again understand it. So I'll just pretend the "four times in one post" comment is referring to the points you now understand... I should get paid to work these kinds of miracles.
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I failed to respond to a "point."

Okay, I would have to say the Super Bowl with the 2 teams I hate the most combined was the Super Bowl you named. Let me choose another one. I hate Washington more than the Giants and Denver almost as much as the Ravens, so Washington and Denver, 42-10 for the Commanders. Doug Williams blows up. Damned Commanders win it. I still cared. I watched every second of the game. It's the Super Bowl. I'm a football fan. It's just a natural marriage of peanut butter and jelly.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Doomsday;3457821 said:
Near nonstop action? Which World Cup were you watching, surely not the same one I was.

I was watching the one that didn't have a single commercial during the entire half once play started.

Wish the NFL could replicate that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3458274 said:
I see folks are still hating on the World Cup.

Sometimes you just gotta let it go.
Hell no. Bashing it has been the most fun I've had this long blasted off season.

Soccer sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care who that offends.

MartinRamone

Reaction score
peplaw06;3457938 said:
I've never seen such hostility against a sport... what, this stuff couldn't go in the already viewed 6,000+ times "Anti-soccer thread?" Why do we need 18 different threads bashing the sport?

I don't understand cricket or rugby. I doubt most people in here do. But I don't see thread after thread decrying the faults of those sports every time their biggest event is played. Same goes for other less popular sports.

Why does soccer draw so much ire? Was this thread started to change the opinions of people who like the sport? Or was it just trolling?

Because we are the most popular sport in the world. :)
If it was so easy to score the sport wouldnt be as good as it is, let the haters hate, thats all they can do.

MartinRamone

Reaction score
ajk23az;3458244 said:
Yeah, it was a bad call BUT the game ended 2-2. There was no comeback win was there? Officials, just like in every other sport that has them, are human.

Point is, you named one match, that ALMOST had a comeback win, but didn't. If someone comes back from 2 goals it's considered a classic game. It's completely lame.

A 0-2 in football (soccer) is like being down 0-25 in football (nfl), but there have been a lot of comebacks from 0-1 to 2-1 or 3-1.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hostile;3458267 said:
Wait, so you are now saying that soccer fans were disappointed for 6 games but happy with only the final win?

I'm not going to buy that Pep.
Um, no I'm not saying that.

Close minded on baseball? No, not really. Close minded on soccer? Absolutely.
Not closed minded on baseball generally. But I would guess that if anyone debated the merits of a 1-0 baseball game with you, you wouldn't give an inch. It's not your MO.

No one is ever going to make me change my mind about soccer. If I were single and a woman who looked like Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Alba who was beyond wealthy and wanted nothing more than to travel the world enjoying the finest things of life, having sex with me and her only requirement in return was that I attend soccer matches with her in the places we visit...I might actually tell her goodbye.
Exhibit A.

I have no idea. I didn't bring it up like it's some kind of a foul calamity that they don't exist.
I don't think it's a foul calamity that they don't exist. I just brought it up to illustrate that there are people in this world who, while they may not be a fan of something, don't get their jollies off bashing it in thread after thread.

Okay, I would have to say the Super Bowl with the 2 teams I hate the most combined was the Super Bowl you named. Let me choose another one. I hate Washington more than the Giants and Denver almost as much as the Ravens, so Washington and Denver, 42-10 for the Commanders. Doug Williams blows up. Damned Commanders win it. I still cared. I watched every second of the game. It's the Super Bowl. I'm a football fan. It's just a natural marriage of peanut butter and jelly.
You cared? Sorry, I wasn't aware we were arguing about whether you cared about the Super Bowl.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peplaw06;3458670 said:
Um, no I'm not saying that.

Not closed minded on baseball generally. But I would guess that if anyone debated the merits of a 1-0 baseball game with you, you wouldn't give an inch. It's not your MO.
Eh, I don't know. It really depends on the circumstances. I am not a die hard baseball purist and thus I have floating opinions of it.

I don't have a favorite team for instance. I was a Nolan Ryan fan and I rooted for whomever he pitched for. So I guess I am sort of still a Rangers fan since he is so involved in them. But I root for the D-Backs because I get to see them. Yet I don't have a cap, t-shirt, or souvenir for either team. It is very different for me.

If someone tells me a 1-0 game is boring my response will likely be, "okay," and I will move on. I don't think I have ever in my life tried to convert someone to loving or appreciating baseball.

Football is another subject. I flat out don't trust men who aren't football fans. I think they must have a screw loose.

Exhibit A.
I make no bones about being unmovable on soccer. I am nto movable on a lot of subjects, but I am not close minded to them. Contrary to popular belief some of us who hate soccer actually understand the game. I just don't like it and I am never going to like it. It is not my cup of tea. I would feel this way even if my son was on the USA World Cup team. if I watched it would be for him, not for love of the game.

I don't think it's a foul calamity that they don't exist. I just brought it up to illustrate that there are people in this world who, while they may not be a fan of something, don't get their jollies off bashing it in thread after thread.
Oh. I don't care. I do get my jollies off bashing soccer and if it offends someone........oh well. Either they will get over it, or they won't. It is a fun sport to bash because it is so stupid.

You cared? Sorry, I wasn't aware we were arguing about whether you cared about the Super Bowl.
I wasn't aware that no one cares when a score is 34-7. You brought that up. Not me.

Dundalis

Reaction score
Hostile;3458408 said:
Hell no. Bashing it has been the most fun I've had this long blasted off season.

Soccer sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care who that offends.
I have no issues with this, however I think soccer, like Grid Iron, or any other sport for that matter, are often cultural things you need to grow up on to appreciate. Some people have a tolerance/patience for developing an interest and understanding of a sport they didn't grow up on, but ultimately even they don't understand it like someone who grew up with it.

It's like Indians and curry. Most Indians grew up on it, love the stuff and can eat it all week with no ill effects. Others whom haven't, try it and end up on the bathroom floor wishing for a quick death.

For me the greatness of the sport has nothing to do with scoring (well it does partly). But mainly, it's all about the build up. People that have never played don't understand how difficult it is to maintain control of that thing while surrounded by opponents. I love watching skilled players pretty much dance around opposition challenges with ball practically glued to their feet (see Lionel Messi), or fluid triangular passing (Argentina, and at times Spain) in the build up to an shot on goal. It's almost an artistic thing. Sports fans who just want major action/impact and constant highlight reel plays from their sporting entertainment, obviously are not going to like it. Soccer is more about appreciating the subtleties more than anything. I've seen better World Cup's, with more attacking teams and more of the technical/skill aspects of the game applied, but it was still on offer.

I suppose it's like seeing Felix Jones off on a 60 yard dash, but not quite score. It's somewhat disappointing he didn't score, but the run is far more exciting, to me anyway, than the actual crossing of the line. I'm not dismissing the scoring, as that is obviously the point to win games, just that scoring by and of itself isn't necessarily the most exciting part, particularly when it comes to soccer.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hostile;3458839 said:
Eh, I don't know. It really depends on the circumstances. I am not a die hard baseball purist and thus I have floating opinions of it.

I don't have a favorite team for instance. I was a Nolan Ryan fan and I rooted for whomever he pitched for. So I guess I am sort of still a Rangers fan since he is so involved in them. But I root for the D-Backs because I get to see them. Yet I don't have a cap, t-shirt, or souvenir for either team. It is very different for me.

If someone tells me a 1-0 game is boring my response will likely be, "okay," and I will move on. I don't think I have ever in my life tried to convert someone to loving or appreciating baseball.
That's the problem. You think I'm trying to convert you into loving soccer.

I wasn't aware that no one cares when a score is 34-7. You brought that up. Not me.
I didn't say that. I said that a 34-7 blowout in the Super Bowl isn't exciting when people have no rooting interest in the teams involved. And apparently the NFL agrees with me, considering the push for parity over the past decade or two. Sure, you may be in the .001% of people who can always find a team you hate more than the other. But the majority of people watching a Super Bowl who do aren't fans of one of the teams want to see an "exciting" game. 34-7 is not exciting for those people.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peplaw06;3458963 said:
That's the problem. You think I'm trying to convert you into loving soccer.
Or to stop bashing it.

I won't.

Ever...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hostile;3459023 said:
Or to stop bashing it.

I won't.

Ever...
Fine. Just if you're gonna do that you shouldn't get all bent out of shape when people defend it.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Sorry but when I watch a sporting event and the most memorable thing about the game is the effectiveness of one teams ability to FLOP and fake injuries (See Spain), I end up with a feeling that I just wasted a few hours of my life.

The other thing about soccer I noticed trying to give the World Cup a chance is 80% of the time players cant execute around the goal, it is missed headers, kicks over the net etc. The whole goal seems to be to flop in hopes of getting a free kick, penalty shot or to put the other team a man down.

I just dont see what the rest of the world loves about the sport. To me it is hockey for sissies.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peplaw06;3459026 said:
Fine. Just if you're gonna do that you shouldn't get all bent out of shape when people defend it.
I haven't got all bent out of shape. That's just anyone's reaction to me when I don't agree. I can't be bullied into concessions so naturally I am "bent out of shape." Not the case at all.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
in another "testament" to the greatness of soccer...

i just got an email from Cowboys Stadium offering FREE tickets to a soccer
match to be played there the 17th.

for kicks i responded and was offered 4 FREE tickets in the CLUB section
for this saturdays game

either I am the luckiest person in the world or tickets to this epic matchup
just arent flowing out the door. hmmmm

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hostile;3459062 said:
I haven't got all bent out of shape. That's just anyone's reaction to me when I don't agree. I can't be bullied into concessions so naturally I am "bent out of shape." Not the case at all.
You apparently got irritated enough to go start a cricket thread.

And I can't believe you actually think I'm the bullying one.