World Cup is boring

rynochop

Reaction score
I've given soccer multiple tries and just can't do it, it's just too much back and forth, I know there's strategy but it doesn't look like it at all. And the flopping is the worse

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Was house hunting in Sarasota last week so stopped at the Hard Rock in Hollywood for a few days on the way back to NY. WAS watching one of the matches poolside and mentioned to my wife how there were no commercials, board around the stadium always changes the advertising and how the NFL has commercials every 2 minutes. Never really into Worldcup in the past but learned to get into it from people at work who are from all around the world so we would always switch over from CNBC to the matches. Definitely an exciting game and the constant play is great, the NFL could learn a thing or two from them. I'm surprised that Jerry has not caught on to the constantly changing advertising around the ring of the stadium, would be a big revenue producer.

Not only that, but I've noticed that a growing number of NFL owners are investing at least partially into football clubs. Kraft owns the NE Revolution. The 49ers own Leeds United. The Jags owner is in full control of Fulham. The Bucs owners at least partially-own Manchester United if not moreso. The Seahawks partially own and share the stadium with the Seattle Sounders. I could continue. The point is, I'm surprised that Jerry hasn't gotten in on this. I could see him investing in both FC Dallas and/or an EPL/Championship League team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've given soccer multiple tries and just can't do it, it's just too much back and forth, I know there's strategy but it doesn't look like it at all. And the flopping is the worse

Yes, the flopping can be annoying, but I've noticed that in at least the majority of the major US sports as well. Maybe not as consistently (though, basketball might give football a run for it), but it's growing around US sports.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I can't understand people saying the games if their preferred sports last too long. If you're not enjoying the time spent, why are you watching?

I LIKE when the games are long and exciting. I'm a waking Buffallo Wild Wings commercial where I enjoy overtime. I watch college ball all Saturday as long as it's not something like Alabama vs. Roast Beef Tech.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s boring. To each his own. I don’t watch Soccer until the World Cup and every time I watch I’m amazed at the talent of the top level Soccer players. I played Intramural Soccer in the Military and knows the game a bit. Ronaldo is freakin amazing.

Incredible athletes for sure. Thats why its surprising why its so boring.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I'm confused, is it this particular WC that's boring, or do You just hate Footie?
If it's the former, I'd say it's about what You'd expect, some good games, some bad.
If it's the latter, don't watch.....problem solved (if someone is forcing You to watch, You have My sympathy)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, if the concern is the lack of goals, I do think also that the actions that the keeper takes can be even more enjoyable than the goals themselves.

The rules need to be changed in my opinion to create more scoring. 4-3 games and a few 6-8 scores will make the games much much more fun to watch. You would be on the edge of your seat. And all the plays and shots on goal would go up as well.

To me the biggest issue is the offsides. Keep the offsides, but make it only inside the penalty box for example. To have it all the way from the midline forward is ridiculous. This would spread out the players on the field and give more room to work. Skill in dribbling would come into play. More action. Not all these long balls that dont work and then the ball comes back the other way. Ball would move up and down the field much faster.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm confused, is it this particular WC that's boring, or do You just hate Footie?
If it's the former, I'd say it's about what You'd expect, some good games, some bad.
If it's the latter, don't watch.....problem solved (if someone is forcing You to watch, You have My sympathy)

When you are a sports nut, what else is there to watch at this time of year? I would say in 1/3 of the matches, I cant even tell who is playing who. CRC who the heck is that? Croatia?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not only that, but I've noticed that a growing number of NFL owners are investing at least partially into football clubs. Kraft owns the NE Revolution. The 49ers own Leeds United. The Jags owner is in full control of Fulham. The Bucs owners at least partially-own Manchester United if not moreso. The Seahawks partially own and share the stadium with the Seattle Sounders. I could continue. The point is, I'm surprised that Jerry hasn't gotten in on this. I could see him investing in both FC Dallas and/or an EPL/Championship League team.

Maybe that is what it will take. All these American owners will start buying up teams and they will change some of the rules to liven up the game in the U.S. At some point, maybe the international game will adopt them. Pipe dream?

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
The rules need to be changed in my opinion to create more scoring. 4-3 games and a few 6-8 scores will make the games much much more fun to watch. You would be on the edge of your seat. And all the plays and shots on goal would go up as well.

To me the biggest issue is the offsides. Keep the offsides, but make it only inside the penalty box for example. To have it all the way from the midline forward is ridiculous

First point: if you want a high scoring end to end game watch basketball. You don't like football because there's not enough scoring, I love it because each goal has such importance on the outcome. Why should I give a **** when my team scores a basket when I know they can score another 30 or 40 and still lose.
Each to their own and all that.

Second point: you'd achieve the opposite. Inferior teams would leave a big guy hanging around the box and lump long balls for him bypassing the oppositions superior players in the middle of the park.

Don't get why people feel the need to change something they don't like. I've got no interest in baseball but I don't spend time advocating the addition of water hazards in the outfield to liven it up.

Londonboy

Reaction score
First point: if you want a high scoring end to end game watch basketball. You don't like football because there's not enough scoring, I love it because each goal has such importance on the outcome. Why should I give a **** when my team scores a basket when I know they can score another 30 or 40 and still lose.

Second point: you'd achieve the opposite. Inferior teams would leave a big guy hanging around the box and lump long balls for him bypassing the oppositions superior players in the middle of the park.

Don't get why people feel the need to change something they don't like. I've got no interest in baseball but I don't spend time advocating the addition of water hazards in the outfield to liven it up.

Great idea.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe that is what it will take. All these American owners will start buying up teams and they will change some of the rules to liven up the game in the U.S. At some point, maybe the international game will adopt them. Pipe dream?

I dunno, but I think rather like football the way it is now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

To me the biggest issue is the offsides. Keep the offsides, but make it only inside the penalty box for example. To have it all the way from the midline forward is ridiculous. This would spread out the players on the field and give more room to work. Skill in dribbling would come into play. More action. Not all these long balls that dont work and then the ball comes back the other way. Ball would move up and down the field much faster.

I do agree that the offsides calls are a bit cheeky. I think it is bad when a clearly earned goal is waved away by an offside. However, there is a massive weakness when a team decides to try and play the offside trap. If the opposing team does this, then what you do is lob it over their heads, and have your speed players track it down. If you're successful, it's just you and the keeper. With how wide that goal is, saving it is unlikely.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Basketball is similar to Soccer that late in games players breakdown from exhaustion. Teams that can't breathe can't score no matter how easy or difficult it is. Happens in most contact sports. When the Cowboys running game is working the opposing team defense looks half dead late in the 4th qt. That breaking point is why i watch and played most contact sports. People who don't like World Cup soccer but like all other major sports simply don't know what to look for when it comes to soccer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly right. Part of the beauty of football is the fact that it is that hard to score a goal. Just to even move the ball around some of these teams is impressive, not to mention scoring a goal. Now, sometimes, you will see absolutely outlandish scoring, but that's rare. Football is fun to watch because of the challenge of the goal scoring and, as stated, watching the keeper making the saves is almost as fun if not just as fun as watching the goals fly in. Having been a keeper before, I can tell you that it is one of the hardest jobs in sports. I'd argue that it's harder than playing Quarterback because you are literally the only man standing in the way, at times, between a goal and a save. If you make the slightest wrong reaction, that ball is going into the goal. To see these world class keepers making the stops that they do consistently is amazing.

The reason football is different than any other sport is because it's a sport of art and finesse. It is an art to weave the ball through midfielders and defenders, and then you have to have the finesse to be able to turn around and put the ball past a goalkeeper who is basically flying. Oh, and then you have to try and manage to get it between his body and the posts. As for the set pieces, that is harder than it looks. You have to levitate the ball over a wall of people, get it to your teammate who should be onside, and hope that he manages to get to the ball before the keeper delivers the punch. Sometimes, you get lucky as the ball curves into the goal, but a lot of the time, it goes into the keeper's glove or over the crossbar.

I actually can enjoy a 0-0 match if the keeper is just absolutely playing out of his mind. Sometimes a 0-0 result can be more entertaining than a 5-4 result depending on how that keeper is playing.