World Cup is boring

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Basketball is similar to Soccer that late in games players breakdown from exhaustion. Teams that can't breathe can't score no matter how easy or difficult it is. Happens in most contact sports. When the Cowboys running game is working the opposing team defense looks half dead late in the 4th qt. That breaking point is why i watch and played most contact sports. People who don't like World Cup soccer but like all other major sports simply don't know what to look for when it comes to soccer.

Exactly, and actually, football is a it harder on the players than basketball, I reckon. With how far those chaps have to run, it is absolutely astonishing the way that these players can manage to play it. It may look easy, and yes, you could basically play pick up anywhere. But, you have to be in a level of class that is barely able to be matched by others to reach the level of these athletes. Like I said, other sports are basically about brute strength. Football is different because it's an art and a finesse sport. One has to be able to appreciate the beauty of the game and know what to look for. The World Cup is a good introduction into football, but watching league play like the EPL (Up the Cherries!) or the UEFA League can really help one appreciate the complexity of football more.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I can't understand people saying the games if their preferred sports last too long. If you're not enjoying the time spent, why are you watching?

I LIKE when the games are long and exciting. I'm a waking Buffallo Wild Wings commercial where I enjoy overtime. I watch college ball all Saturday as long as it's not something like Alabama vs. Roast Beef Tech.

It's not that the games are too long. The issue is that the games are artificially too long to sell the same Bud Light and Ford Truck commercials over and over.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's not that the games are too long. The issue is that the games are artificially too long to sell the same Bud Light and Ford Truck commercials over and over.

Here's a brilliant and hilarious way that John Cleese (Monty Python) explains the difference:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When you are a sports nut, what else is there to watch at this time of year? I would say in 1/3 of the matches, I cant even tell who is playing who. CRC who the heck is that? Croatia?
Go and join a local soccer team. You will learn to appreciate the talent being displayed during the World Cup. The flopping sucks, but the beauty of the game is on full display.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Exactly, and actually, football is a it harder on the players than basketball, I reckon. With how far those chaps have to run, it is absolutely astonishing the way that these players can manage to play it. It may look easy, and yes, you could basically play pick up anywhere. But, you have to be in a level of class that is barely able to be matched by others to reach the level of these athletes. Like I said, other sports are basically about brute strength. Football is different because it's an art and a finesse sport. One has to be able to appreciate the beauty of the game and know what to look for. The World Cup is a good introduction into football, but watching league play like the EPL (Up the Cherries!) or the UEFA League can really help one appreciate the complexity of football more.
I don't watch league play that much anymore. When i was a kid (1980's) i used to watch Italian Serie A with my dad on Sunday mornings. I might go to a Roma game in stadio olimpico if they are playing there in early/mid November.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Go and join a local soccer team. You will learn to appreciate the talent being displayed during the World Cup. The flopping sucks, but the beauty of the game is on full display.

Exactly right. Every sport has it's flaws, and flopping is a flaw in football. Now, to those criticizing it, have you noticed that it's become very much available in American Handegg (let's face it, that's what it is) Flavours as well as basketball flavours. So, if you're put off by the diving (as it's more commonly referred to), then I do wish you luck not getting put off by it in Handegg as it's becoming much more frequent. How else do a lot of these holding calls happen? Part of the idea of holding is that the defender has to sell it. Thus, there's a bit of acting involved, isn't there? Well, that's just part of the creativity of football. Selling to the referee that the person that hit you should be booked for it. Annoying? Yes. Is it part of sports now? Yes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't watch league play that much anymore. When i was a kid (1980's) i used to watch Italian Serie A with my dad on Sunday mornings. I might go to a Roma game in stadio olimpico if they are playing there in early/mid November.

I do sort of understand that in the sence that the seasons can be rather long. However, I suppose it depends on the team you support. For me, I pull for a small team on the South Coast of England named AFC Bournemouth (AKA "The Cherries"). I do not often get to watch them in America because of their small size unless they're either playing Southampton (Quite a bit larger) in the South Coast Derby, or if they're playing the big boys like Chelsea. I do enjoy watching them though. I also like that, unlike some of the larger clubs, the Cherries have stayed mostly English. I like Chelsea, but they don't have much in the way of English players, do they?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly right. Every sport has it's flaws, and flopping is a flaw in football. Now, to those criticizing it, have you noticed that it's become very much available in American Handegg (let's face it, that's what it is) Flavours as well as basketball flavours. So, if you're put off by the diving (as it's more commonly referred to), then I do wish you luck not getting put off by it in Handegg as it's becoming much more frequent. How else do a lot of these holding calls happen? Part of the idea of holding is that the defender has to sell it. Thus, there's a bit of acting involved, isn't there? Well, that's just part of the creativity of football. Selling to the referee that the person that hit you should be booked for it. Annoying? Yes. Is it part of sports now? Yes.

For those doubting me about the flopping in the NFL, here we are with examples:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First point: if you want a high scoring end to end game watch basketball. You don't like football because there's not enough scoring, I love it because each goal has such importance on the outcome. Why should I give a **** when my team scores a basket when I know they can score another 30 or 40 and still lose.
Each to their own and all that.

Second point: you'd achieve the opposite. Inferior teams would leave a big guy hanging around the box and lump long balls for him bypassing the oppositions superior players in the middle of the park.

Don't get why people feel the need to change something they don't like. I've got no interest in baseball but I don't spend time advocating the addition of water hazards in the outfield to liven it up.

IM really not talking about what you like buddy. Its pretty clear its my point of view. Dont get up for to go pee because you may miss the one goal. But you could always watch that one highlight on sports center. If it even makes it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I do agree that the offsides calls are a bit cheeky. I think it is bad when a clearly earned goal is waved away by an offside. However, there is a massive weakness when a team decides to try and play the offside trap. If the opposing team does this, then what you do is lob it over their heads, and have your speed players track it down. If you're successful, it's just you and the keeper. With how wide that goal is, saving it is unlikely.

Another option would be to shorten the field or decrease the players on the field for each side by 2 or something similar.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
IM really not talking about what you like buddy. Its pretty clear its my point of view. Dont get up for to go pee because you may miss the one goal. But you could always watch that one highlight on sports center. If it even makes it.
Why the poo poo?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Love the passing and the talent. Played as a kid all my life. Its just too much keep away and not enough scoring. Not enough incentive to score.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I actually can enjoy a 0-0 match if the keeper is just absolutely playing out of his mind. Sometimes a 0-0 result can be more entertaining than a 5-4 result depending on how that keeper is playing.

This was true in the USA/Belguim knockout round game in 2014 World Cup. It was 0-0 heading into extra time but Tim Howard was playing out of his mind that day. Belgium had so many chances to blow out the USA but Howard was a monster. It's the same when a hockey goalie is standing on his head in the playoffs. Very entertaining. Plus the USA had a chance at the very end of regulation time to score a goal to advance but just missed. Near misses can be just as exciting if not more than actual goals. The buildup of a goal and how it transpires is what I enjoy about soccer.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why the poo poo?

You seem to getting offended. Im simply talking about my own opinion. Some guys love to watch it. Its the most popular sport in the world for a reason. I just dont get it.

These guys when they score a goal act like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread kissing to the crowd and prancing around. Oh goodie you scored a goal!!! Yipppeeee!!! Now go back and play keep away and run out the clock.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This was true in the USA/Belguim knockout round game in 2014 World Cup. It was 0-0 heading into extra time but Tim Howard was playing out of his mind that day. Belgium had so many chances to blow out the USA but Howard was a monster. It's the same when a hockey goalie is standing on his head in the playoffs. Very entertaining. Plus the USA had a chance at the very end of regulation time to score a goal to advance but just missed. Near misses can be just as exciting if not more than actual goals. The buildup of a goal and how it transpires is what I enjoy about soccer.

I can agree with that. But its rare.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You seem to getting offended. Im simply talking about my own opinion. Some guys love to watch it. Its the most popular sport in the world for a reason. I just dont get it.

These guys when they score a goal act like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread kissing to the crowd and prancing around. Oh goodie you scored a goal!!! Yipppeeee!!! Now go back and play keep away and run out the clock.
I agree with you there. They certainly over dramatize the goals and the flopping really rubs me the wrong way. I guess that’s why I only watch Soccer when the World Cup comes around. I do enjoy it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree with you there. They certainly over dramatize the goals and the flopping really rubs me the wrong way. I guess that’s why I only watch Soccer when the World Cup comes around. I do enjoy it.

When it gets down to the last 8 it will probably be much better.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I love the World Cup and other big championships like the European cup & Olympics. For some reason I haven't gotten into seasonal European soccer. I love the passion of the fans and how so many countries from around the world compete in the same sport & I loved playing growing up and wish I was still playing today.

The only thing I absolutely HATE is the flopping which I see is slowly making inroads into the the NFL. There are so many times where it appears if the player would just keep hustling to make a play vs trying to sell a flop, he might be surprised at the number of times he ends up with the desired result

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Another option would be to shorten the field or decrease the players on the field for each side by 2 or something similar.

No, I don't fancy the idea of shortening the pitch either. Like I said, I quite like the way football is now.