World Cup is boring

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Don't care, it will never be as big and mainstream as the big 3 here in the US. Stop trying to push it off on Joe A Public. I would rather paint the whole exterior of the house with a 2 inch paint brush.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't care, it will never be as big and mainstream as the big 3 here in the US. Stop trying to push it off on Joe A Public. I would rather paint the whole exterior of the house with a 2 inch paint brush.

Forget pushing the sport. No one cares what we play just like we don't care what others play. I created a game in my back yard that utilizes garbage cans, a football, yard markers and whiffel balls and guess what? I'm world champ! No one cares. The sport is not what matters, it's the worldwide competition that does. Think of it in terms of war. Civil war VS world war. We can ignore the world war all we want and focus solely on our civil war. But the world war is what everyone is focusing on, and is what matters most.

csirl

Reaction score
Forget pushing the sport. No one cares what we play just like we don't care what others play. I created a game in my back yard that utilizes garbage cans, a football, yard markers and whiffel balls and guess what? I'm world champ! No one cares. The sport is not what matters, it's the worldwide competition that does. Think of it in terms of war. Civil war VS world war. We can ignore the world war all we want and focus solely on our civil war. But the world war is what everyone is focusing on, and is what matters most.

Winning a World Cup is more important than winning a World War.

The English used to chant "two World Wars and one World Cup" when playing Germany. They had to stop when Germany won a 3rd World Cup in 1990 as a World Cup > a World War.

If you ask a random person in the world "what do you think of the United States" you are as likely to get a reply along the lines of ".....they must be rubbish if Panama qualified ahead of them ..." than a comment about US politics/society etc.

Flamma

Reaction score

The English used to chant "two World Wars and one World Cup" when playing Germany. They had to stop when Germany won a 3rd World Cup in 1990 as a World Cup > a World War.

If you ask a random person in the world "what do you think of the United States" you are as likely to get a reply along the lines of ".....they must be rubbish if Panama qualified ahead of them ..." than a comment about US politics/society etc.

No argument from me. What do they care about the NFL? They're going by what everyone competes in every 4 years, and we suck. What we do on our own time means little to them. Like I alluded to before, it's easy to be world champs at something no one else plays or cares about.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I can confirm this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No argument from me. What do they care about the NFL? They're going by what everyone competes in every 4 years, and we suck. What we do on our own time means little to them. Like I alluded to before, it's easy to be world champs at something no one else plays or cares about.

Put it this way. If the NFL is such a big event, then why did NFL Europe fail?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We could fill multiple threads with why NFLE failed. And it wasnt due to lack of interest in football in Europe.

I would be interested to know that actually. I would actually quite like it if the NFL decided to relaunch it. If it wasn't due to a lack of interest, then I think it could actually be quite the feasible venture, and the NFL could then sort of expand further and create a World Cup to determine who the best in the world really is.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I love the celebrations after a goal, the crowd and everyone goes nuts and sings for such a long time after, looks like so much fun to bond with other fans

On another note, Diego Maradona isn't looking too hot, I thought he was 70+ but he's only 57, looks drunk or high in this video (& that woman behind him looks like she's had all she can stand of his BS):

yimyammer

Reaction score
2cxpfc.jpg

csirl

Reaction score
I would be interested to know that actually. I would actually quite like it if the NFL decided to relaunch it. If it wasn't due to a lack of interest, then I think it could actually be quite the feasible venture, and the NFL could then sort of expand further and create a World Cup to determine who the best in the world really is.

My take on the main reason:

1. The presentation:
They made them wear stupid "soccerized" jerseys so it didnt look like serious football.

2. Aging soccer stars.
They got retired soccer players to play as kickers. This made the press and casual sports fans laugh i.e. if a 50 year old with no experience and a beer gut can play at pro level the sport must be rubbish.

3. This is a big one - wasnt competitive.
Players didnt earn starts or playing time on merit. The NFL teams sending them on loan specified certain playing time. So wasnt the best players on the roster or field - and often mid way thru you'd get an unexplained QB change. NFL didnt realise European football fans know football and know when its not meriticratic. Interestingly the WLAF version had proper competitive training camps and rosters which delivered a better product on the field.

4. Poorly paid players.
$10,000 per season. Wasnt good enough to attract fringe NFL players between teams. Old WLAF was paying several times this.

5. Poor local players.
Related to the above. League wanted to promote local talent, but the salaries on offer did not entice players to quit the day job. Even better European leagues often paid star players more. I've a friend who twice turned down NFLE contracts including guaranteed playing time as you couldnt live on the wages.

6. Subscription TV.
Poor product, but they only put it on subscription cable TV. Should have given it free to national networks to encourage a following.

7. Taking on GFL head to head.
German teams were well supported so they decided to put 5 teams in Germany going head to head with GFL teams - often in the same stadium, with team playing in similar colours to the GFL team. GFL reacted by discouraging support for NFLE. German attendances dropped from 30k plus to less than 10k almost overnight.

8. Lack of partnership with local Federations.
Originally deals were struck with national federations in Europe to work together and promote the sport. This initially worked well giving NFLE access to 10,000s grass roots fans. But there was a change in management in NFLs international development and they renaged on the deals deciding they knew best (not the locals involved in grass roots). The new approach had no local buy in or knowledge and flopped. The renaging on deals caused bad will locally and contributed to drop in attendances.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My take on the main reason:

1. The presentation:
They made them wear stupid "soccerized" jerseys so it didnt look like serious football.

2. Aging soccer stars.
They got retired soccer players to play as kickers. This made the press and casual sports fans laugh i.e. if a 50 year old with no experience and a beer gut can play at pro level the sport must be rubbish.

3. This is a big one - wasnt competitive.
Players didnt earn starts or playing time on merit. The NFL teams sending them on loan specified certain playing time. So wasnt the best players on the roster or field - and often mid way thru you'd get an unexplained QB change. NFL didnt realise European football fans know football and know when its not meriticratic. Interestingly the WLAF version had proper competitive training camps and rosters which delivered a better product on the field.

4. Poorly paid players.
$10,000 per season. Wasnt good enough to attract fringe NFL players between teams. Old WLAF was paying several times this.

5. Poor local players.
Related to the above. League wanted to promote local talent, but the salaries on offer did not entice players to quit the day job. Even better European leagues often paid star players more. I've a friend who twice turned down NFLE contracts including guaranteed playing time as you couldnt live on the wages.

6. Subscription TV.
Poor product, but they only put it on subscription cable TV. Should have given it free to national networks to encourage a following.

7. Taking on GFL head to head.
German teams were well supported so they decided to put 5 teams in Germany going head to head with GFL teams - often in the same stadium, with team playing in similar colours to the GFL team. GFL reacted by discouraging support for NFLE. German attendances dropped from 30k plus to less than 10k almost overnight.

8. Lack of partnership with local Federations.
Originally deals were struck with national federations in Europe to work together and promote the sport. This initially worked well giving NFLE access to 10,000s grass roots fans. But there was a change in management in NFLs international development and they renaged on the deals deciding they knew best (not the locals involved in grass roots). The new approach had no local buy in or knowledge and flopped. The renaging on deals caused bad will locally and contributed to drop in attendances.

I did not know that. I suppose if the NFL had taken more of a hands off approach and let the league develop properly on its own, they would have been in better position to actually develop better football globally.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
No reason to duck for cover, Brother. :laugh:

I just can't stand how in Futball you have to keep going back in order to move forward. Watch a game for 3 hours and it ends up 1-0.

Granted that does happen in baseball sometimes but not nearly as often.

Soccer is like watching a Monday Night Football game that ends in a 3-0 score.

Snooze fest.

JMO.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score

I just can't stand how in Futball you have to keep going back in order to move forward. Watch a game for 3 hours and it ends up 1-0.

Snooze fest.

JMO.
Er... yeah, except it couldn't possibly last 3 hours. Nice try though.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score

Snooze fest.

JMO.
Anyway, that misses the point as that 'low scoring' argument always does. A) a goal in soccer is worth 1 point, not the 6 that a touchdown is worth so yes, every game by comparison will be low scoring. B) In a low scoring soccer or NFL game, all that means is that the defensive players have demonstrated their skills better than the offensive players. Low scoring does not equal low quality.