World Cup

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Senegal likes to throw a lot of forearms and elbows to the head area. I wouldn't be surprised if the ref pulls out the red card soon.

csirl

Reaction score
Mexico holds a 2 goal goal differential lead. They'd have to lose by 2 or more and also see Germany win by 2+.

So no Mexico isn't likely going home.
They are still likely winning the group but finishing 2nd to Germany could happen if they lose by a goal.

Sweden wins 1-0 they go through, Mexico goes home? Thats enough to close the 2 goal diff as the single goal counts +1 for one and -1 for the other.

Germany will win the last game by more than 2 goals - against a weak team already going home.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sweden wins 1-0 they go through, Mexico goes home? Thats enough to close the 2 goal diff as the single goal counts +1 for one and -1 for the other.

Germany will win the last game by more than 2 goals - against a weak team already going home.

Sweden isn't going to beat Mexico.

Bigdog

Reaction score

Would love for that to happen. No offense to my Mexico supporting Cowboy fans but they are US biggest rival in the region. Mexico has 6 points and they still might not move on to the knockout round.

csirl

Reaction score
Sweden isn't going to beat Mexico.

On paper Sweden is a better team - more players playing club football in the elite national leagues than Mexico. But its very difficult to break down a good team - which Mexico is - playing for a 0-0.

For our Texas residents - do Cowboys fans cheer for Mexico as they are near neighbours or cheer against as they are USAs biggest rivals in CONCACAF?

csirl

Reaction score
Poland are looking off this WC. Does anyone think something has been put in their water due to the history between Poland and Russia?

Londonboy

Reaction score
Poland are looking off this WC. Does anyone think something has been put in their water due to the history between Poland and Russia?
Russia doesn't hate Poland, unless They're holding a grudge from Napoleonic times.
If that's the case, france better watch their backs and Germany should start running now.

Bigdog

Reaction score
On paper Sweden is a better team - more players playing club football in the elite national leagues than Mexico. But its very difficult to break down a good team - which Mexico is - playing for a 0-0.

For our Texas residents - do Cowboys fans cheer for Mexico as they are near neighbours or cheer against as they are USAs biggest rivals in CONCACAF?
I think you already know what I think and I am live in CA. It would be liking rooting for the Eagles or Giants as a Cowboys fan or rooting for the Yankees as a Red Soxs fan. But to each his own.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Mexico has their own league. It's as good as many of the 2nd tier Euro leagues.
That is a really good team. With many guys in great form.

Mexico cheers heavily for the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry takes the team down for pre-season games and such because of that.

Sweden is rated 24th by FIFA making them basically equal to the US. They are well below 15th rated Mexico.
Mexico is 2W-2D-1L versus Sweden in the last 5 match ups.

Betting lines have Mexico favored to win the match.
But again they only need to keep it within a goal to ensure they move forward.
Sweden is a defensive squad that hasn't scored 2 goals in 11 games dating back to qualifying versus out-manned Luxembourg.

My prediction is Mexico goes out and tries to score a goal early then is content playing ball control.
Sweden pulls one back and it ends 1-1.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Betting lines have Mexico favored to win the match.
But again they only need to keep it within a goal to ensure they move forward.
Sweden is a defensive squad that hasn't scored 2 goals in 11 games dating back to qualifying versus out-manned Luxembourg.

My prediction is Mexico goes out and tries to score a goal early then is content playing ball control.
Sweden pulls one back and it ends 1-1.

It isn't just a matter of keeping it within a goal. If Sweden beats Mexico 1-0 and Germany wins their game 1-0 over South Korea, then Sweden and Germany will advance. It would be a 3 way tie and the eventual tie breaker would be goals scored in the matches against the teams concerned. In this scenario, Germany would have 2 goals scored, Sweden would have 2 goals scored and Mexico would only have 1 goal scored. Mexico can land in a scenario that allows them to advance with a loss, but their easiest path to the knockout round is to tie or win.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/22/world-cup-tiebreaker-rules-scenarios-group-play-knockout-round

JBS

Reaction score
It isn't just a matter of keeping it within a goal. If Sweden beats Mexico 1-0 and Germany wins their game 1-0 over South Korea, then Sweden and Germany will advance. It would be a 3 way tie and the eventual tie breaker would be goals scored in the matches against the teams concerned. In this scenario, Germany would have 2 goals scored, Sweden would have 2 goals scored and Mexico would only have 1 goal scored. Mexico can land in a scenario that allows them to advance with a loss, but their easiest path to the knockout round is to tie or win.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/22/world-cup-tiebreaker-rules-scenarios-group-play-knockout-round

So Mexico is out if they lose and Germany wins?

Flamma

Reaction score

I just go by what I see on the field. I realize a few games doesn't always give you a solid look, but two games can say enough. Mexico is ranked higher and currently 40-1 to win the cup. Started out 60-1. Sweden is currently 100-1. So the money is going to Mexico.

Yeah Mexico can play for 0-0. They can even advance if they lose 0-1. But as it stands right now Mexico is not a guarantee in. They'd be playing with fire.

JBS

Reaction score
I just go by what I see on the field. I realize a few games doesn't always give you a solid look, but two games can say enough. Mexico is ranked higher and currently 40-1 to win the cup. Started out 60-1. Sweden is currently 100-1. So the money is going to Mexico.

Yeah Mexico can play for 0-0. They can even advance if they lose 0-1. But as it stands right now Mexico is not a guarantee in. They'd be playing with fire.

How does Mexico get in if they lose and Germany wins? Can they?

Flamma

Reaction score

I could be wrong, but if Mexico loses 0-1 they would still advance. Your link would indicate they only use that tie breaker if everything else is tied. But Mexico would still be ahead of Sweden in goal differential.