World Cup

Londonboy

Reaction score
There is only 32 teams in the WC now and some of them don't deserve to be in it, can you imagine what it will look like when there are 48 teams.
Yup, what's worse, the days of the plucky underdog You want to root for appear to be coming to an end.
All the minnows in this tourney seem to be negative ang niggly, with lots of play-acting and whining to the Ref thrown in.
Not loving this Panama team, hope We spank 'em good and proper.

Flamma

Reaction score
There is only 32 teams in the WC now and some of them don't deserve to be in it, can you imagine what it will look like when there are 48 teams.

You probably already know this, but those are not the 32 best teams in the world. Qualifying is regional. They could use the same method for qualifying for the first 32 teams, then just go by ranking for the last 16. You'd have some decent teams get in.

Flamma

Reaction score
Its interesting how one game can change everything. Sweden beats Mexico in the final.group games and its more than likely Mexico is going home. Sweden would ordinarily be favorites to win, but expect Mexico to play negative football with 11 in the box seeking a 0-0 tie.

I don't think that's going to happen. I think Mexico is the better team and will beat them outright.

Carson

Reaction score
This Panama team would struggle to beat The Dog and Duck in a Sunday Pub league, how is it Team U.S.A couldn't finish ahead of them in qualifying?

Constant changes, lack of attacking, lack of skill players. The list goes on and on. The USA decides to experiment formations, players etc in qualifying as opposed to friendlies.

We typically don’t have a problem beating Panama and we did beat them 4-0, to give us a 99.9% chance of qualifying lol. Guess we forgot that doesn’t equal 100% and choked!!! Lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
First tie breaker is goal differential, and Iceland has a 1 goal advantage over Argentina going into the last game.

Nothing I've seen so far leads me to believe Argentina is beating Nigeria. Names don't matter to me, I go by what I see. When I go to work I guarantee you not a single person will put their money on Argentina.
1 game goal differential is pointless as I note Argentina has to win by one more goal than Iceland... that one goal means you move to goals scored?
I'm not that hard to follow mate.

Argentina have played poorly but the talent and class are still there in spades.

Argentina are very likely through. Watch and see.
I mean it's not like 99% of what I've typed would happen haven't actually happened.....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Its interesting how one game can change everything. Sweden beats Mexico in the final.group games and its more than likely Mexico is going home. Sweden would ordinarily be favorites to win, but expect Mexico to play negative football with 11 in the box seeking a 0-0 tie.
Mexico holds a 2 goal goal differential lead. They'd have to lose by 2 or more and also see Germany win by 2+.

So no Mexico isn't likely going home.
They are still likely winning the group but finishing 2nd to Germany could happen if they lose by a goal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If they are there they deserve to be there. Even if they are not any good, they did what they had to do to punch their ticket.
The tourney is about the best teams from each region.

Does it suck for the 5 highest rankings teams that didn't make it? Sure but the expansion gets them in while also allowing in the 1st time cup nations that make it a special experience for entire countries.

Panama played Mexico to ties twice in qualifying and the US once.
They also beat a CR team that was already in and sitting everyone to get that last free win....
The 3 best CONCACAF sides all lost that day, Mexico, the US and CR.
The top 2 were already in and the US just crapped themselves in our worst result in a decade.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Constant changes, lack of attacking, lack of skill players. The list goes on and on. The USA decides to experiment formations, players etc in qualifying as opposed to friendlies.

We typically don’t have a problem beating Panama and we did beat them 4-0, to give us a 99.9% chance of qualifying lol. Guess we forgot that doesn’t equal 100% and choked!!! Lol
Everything that could go wrong that night did. US losing to Trindidad. Panama scoring the winning goal against Costa Rica on injury time. Honduras scoring 2 goals against Mexico to put them in a playoff with Australia. It was a very embarrassing night for American soccer and hopefully a wake up call. It should have never even come down to the last game but what you said is dead on.