World Cup

Bigdog

Reaction score
It's their only chance to compete in this match...once the spaces open up they will be exposed..their tactics have been spot on
I know it is the only way they can compete and so far their tactics have been very good. Germany needs to start figuring out how to break thru their defense.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Sweden playing not to lose with 10 man was truly unbelievable.
Insane.
Germany and Mexico go through as was fated I guess.

I realize Germany lost to Mexico and barely escaped Sweden, but they had tons of opportunities in both games that I expect them to capitalize on going forward. I still regard them as a top team along with Belgium, France, Brazil, and Croatia at this point in the tourney, but they need to figure out how to contain the rapid counters.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I realize Germany lost to Mexico and barely escaped Sweden, but they had tons of opportunities in both games that I expect them to capitalize on going forward. I still regard them as a top team along with Belgium, France, Brazil, and Croatia at this point in the tourney, but they need to figure out how to contain the rapid counters.
They were eaten alive in midfield both games imho. Terrible mistakes gave Sweden lots of chances but Sweden refused to win by playing a shell game up a man with it tied.
Kroos was awful... til he wasn't lol.

Germany is too talented to ever count out but this has not been a good 2 games for them.
For a team that tales the easy pass you can't have those bad turnovers and shhhhh but the keeper is very overrated.

They need Reus on given Muller is just near done.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
They were eaten alive in midfield both games imho. Terrible mistakes gave Sweden lots of chances but Sweden refused to win by playing a shell game up a man with it tied.
Kroos was awful... til he wasn't lol.

Germany is too talented to ever count out but this has not been a good 2 games for them.
For a team that tales the easy pass you can't have those bad turnovers and shhhhh but the keeper is very overrated.

They need Reus on given Muller is just near done.

Excellent point about Kroos. Germany looked dominant at the beginning and end of the game but had significant midfield breakdowns as you noted. I also thought they were they superior team in the second half of the Mexico game but the defensive emphasis of the latter may have contributed to that impression.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Nope. if Iceland and Argentina both win they both have 4 points.
They have 1 goal scored each this tourney so the difference of next game would make the difference.
Croatia has been the class of the group and is far better than Iceland but I could easily see a 1-0 Iceland result.
That means Argentina beating Nigeria 2-0 gets them in.

First tie breaker is goal differential, and Iceland has a 1 goal advantage over Argentina going into the last game.

Not really. Amazingly enough.
They play Nigeria and with a win ensure 4 points is enough to advance.
Even is Iceland amazingly beats Croatia it'd go to goal scored and Argentina merely needs to score more this game than Iceland.
They would likely be the worst form team to advance but it seems rather likely to me.
Now they gotta win versus us a decent Nigerian side but I think you pick Argentina 9 times out f 10 in that match up.

Nothing I've seen so far leads me to believe Argentina is beating Nigeria. Names don't matter to me, I go by what I see. When I go to work I guarantee you not a single person will put their money on Argentina.

csirl

Reaction score
Its interesting how one game can change everything. Sweden beats Mexico in the final.group games and its more than likely Mexico is going home. Sweden would ordinarily be favorites to win, but expect Mexico to play negative football with 11 in the box seeking a 0-0 tie.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
There is only 32 teams in the WC now and some of them don't deserve to be in it, can you imagine what it will look like when there are 48 teams.