World Cup

Flamma

Reaction score
Mexico is +2 right now..a one goal loss puts them at +1..

You're right. I never subtracted from Mexico. Then all else would be tied and Mexico would be out. That makes them playing for a 0-0 tie all the dumber. If Sweden squeaks one in it's over for Mexico.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
no, but I did live in Quebec until I was 14. I'm purebred Scottish background which might be the reason. I just usually hate the English players, only Platt, Lineker Beckham and Gascoigne were someone I could stomach. Kane is pretty good. I hate Sterling, hated Terry, Gerard, Lampard and Rio Ferdinand.

I do cheer for France though.
Well ya can't cheer for Scotland can ya?

Ren

Reaction score
On paper Sweden is a better team - more players playing club football in the elite national leagues than Mexico. But its very difficult to break down a good team - which Mexico is - playing for a 0-0.

For our Texas residents - do Cowboys fans cheer for Mexico as they are near neighbours or cheer against as they are USAs biggest rivals in CONCACAF?
My wife is Mexican, not cheering for Mexico is not an option in my house

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
thought this russia v uruguay game would be super tight... i was wrong.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
that's the issue in Texas.
hispanic population is about 40%.
and you've likely got hispanic family somewhere.
being a texican is a very real thing.

all that said MOST huge usmnt fans aren't going to go ape supporting our biggest rival.
but the more casual fans absolutely will and should.

for example i was very glad Mexico beat world champ Germany but that the machine pulled a goal back to make it 2-1..
Dos a Cero belongs to the US.

Flamma

Reaction score

Mexico is looking pretty good. They are better than people are giving them credit for. They can go deep this time around.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mexico is looking pretty good. They are better than people are giving them credit for. They can go deep this time around.
This Mexico squad is built like a South American one with extreme speed and quickness and a lot of technical skill.
That's the kind of teams who give Euro sides problems.
I could see Mexico being hurt on set pieces at some point but in run of play so far they have been excellent even versus Germany.

The main concern for them is continuing to score so they don't lose an against run of play game in the knockout stages.
Chicarito is solid but he's not special.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Russia falling back to earth and, for the second day in a row, a S American team looking formidable.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Russia were treating like a meaningless pre-season game.
After they went down 1-0 I suspect you are right.
But Uruguay was definitely just a better squad.

Not sure it matters as the next opponent is either Spain or Portugal and Russia seems a very long shot to advance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Russia falling back to earth and, for the second day in a row, a S American team looking formidable.
typical of how tourney's go imho.
longer the tourney drags on, the more teams adjust to the continent they are playing on.

NFL teams have poor records traveling coast to coast for games... imagine another continent.

but eventually talent shows itself.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Barely watch soccer but I was watching the Germany game because that was my pick in the last WC. Everyone was telling me that I was a sellout because I wouldn't pick the U.S. team. I started in the 2nd half right after Germany scored. Then I was really into it when Germany lost that defender and was only playing 10 players but still was attacking.

I also watched the Japan game which I believe the two teams were working together so they would both be in contention to advance and make the Columbia game a do or die game.

9darter

Reaction score
Good showing from Iran and Morocco today. They did their best in this tourney. Iran should've scored on that late, huge opportunity, though. Or tied Spain in the previous game. You'll never know in these deciding rounds.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
match predictions?
I got.
Australia 1-2 Peru
Denmark 0-1 France
Iceland 1-1 Croatia
Nigeria 1-3 Argentina