World Cup

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I picked Belgium from day 1. Obscene amount of world class talent on the field. The fruits of their national commitment to soccer academies.

Too bad the winner of Belgium-France has to stick around to play England or Croatia. That semifinal should be the final. No offense to our English cowboy fans.
I for one am highly offended. An England v Belgium final (which I believe looks likely) is basically just an EPL game. Could go either way. The group match between the two was no indicator because they both fielded back up players with not much enthusiasm to win the game.

Flamma

Reaction score
I picked Belgium from day 1. Obscene amount of world class talent on the field. The fruits of their national commitment to soccer academies.

Too bad the winner of Belgium-France has to stick around to play England or Croatia. That semifinal should be the final. No offense to our English cowboy fans.

Not so fast. I know Belgium is really good, I predicted Belgium and England after the group stage. But don't be too quick to crown them. England is still a pretty good team, and if they fall behind them 0-2 like they did Japan, I think it's goodnight. Japan made the mistake of continuing to openly play a superior Belgium team. Had they clammed up after taking the 2-0 lead, we might not be having this conversation. But I'm not highly offended. :)

StylisticS

Reaction score
I for one am highly offended. An England v Belgium final (which I believe looks likely) is basically just an EPL game. Could go either way. The group match between the two was no indicator because they both fielded back up players with not much enthusiasm to win the game.
Likely? Do not sleep on France. But you are right about one thing. A Belgium-England game would basically be an EPL game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Likely? Do not sleep on France. But you are right about one thing. A Belgium-England game would basically be an EPL game.

I would think France is favored. As long as they have that lightning bolt Mbappe. Speed can make up for a lot. That guy is super fast.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not so fast. I know Belgium is really good, I predicted Belgium and England after the group stage. But don't be too quick to crown them. England is still a pretty good team, and if they fall behind them 0-2 like they did Japan, I think it's goodnight. Japan made the mistake of continuing to openly play a superior Belgium team. Had they clammed up after taking the 2-0 lead, we might not be having this conversation. But I'm not highly offended. :)

I'm sure you guys are way more familiar with the English team than I am, but it seems they are really good in the air on set pieces and thats pretty much their entire offense.

Japan didn't clam up. They had no answer for Felaini who subbed in after halftime. Nice to have that option in the back pocket. Thats why I like the team. They can adapt and change tactics mid game to great effect. Not many have the personnel to do that.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

Belgium playing style is very boring.
Croatia is playing as a team.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont care who wins but i really dont want England to win,not even 3rd place.

Londonboy

Reaction score

So what has Our resident Croatian Fan done to upset You? lol
I don't think either france or Belgium has looked that fantastic, I certainly wouldn't see the final as any sort of gimme game, though playing 1st and getting the extra days rest is an (unfair) advantage for the winner of SF1.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I have no idea what your watching...........and i'm not sure you do either! :laugh:
Croatia perhaps is the most cohesive squad in this world cup.Belgium is not too far from them but I really don't like them and I can't wait to see them out.... too much defense for my liking.Japan should have won that game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what has Our resident Croatian Fan done to upset You? lol
I don't think either france or Belgium has looked that fantastic, I certainly wouldn't see the final as any sort of gimme game, though playing 1st and getting the extra days rest is an (unfair) advantage for the winner of SF1.

I think Croatia is a pretty boring team and I haven't enjoyed watching them play. I don't have a pet cat in the world cup. I just thought Belgium had as much talent as anyone aside from maybe France......which is astonishing for a country its size. So, they were a logical pick.

Last edited:

Londonboy

Reaction score
I think Croatia is a pretty boring team and I haven't enjoyed watching them play. I don't have a pet cat in the world cup. I just thought Belgium had as much talent as anyone aside from maybe France......which is astonishing for a country its size. So, they were a logical pick.
I'd say Croatia try to play a pass and keep the ball style, building methodically, rather than a hard-charging counter-attacking or high press win it back early with pressure style. They also know They have a fantastic penalty stopping GK, so don't take too many risks and like Their chances in a shoot-out.
Belgium's "Golden Generation" is finally starting to come to fruition, but Vincent Kompany their talismanic Leader has chronic Knee issues, I'm not sure how He'll fare playing on short rest and they have nobody comparable to fill in for Him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say Croatia try to play a pass and keep the ball style, building methodically, rather than a hard-charging counter-attacking or high press win it back early with pressure style. They also know They have a fantastic penalty stopping GK, so don't take too many risks and like Their chances in a shoot-out.
Belgium's "Golden Generation" is finally starting to come to fruition, but Vincent Kompany their talismanic Leader has chronic Knee issues, I'm not sure how He'll fare playing on short rest and they have nobody comparable to fill in for Him.

He was great against Brazil. They made it through to the round of 16 without him, but the strength of the team isn't their defense anyway.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Man.. what a Blue day.
Sarri to Chelsea with Jorginho in tow should be official today.
And we get to watch a Semifinal featuring Hazard, Kante, T-Bo, Giroud plus possibly bench guys like Michy.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Miss the group stage schedule when I could start watching WC games right when I woke up. Belgium-France can't start soon enough. Go les Bleus! Though, honestly, I'd be delighted with a Belgium win as well and a finals pitting one "golden generation" against another (Croatia).

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Man.. what a Blue day.
Sarri to Chelsea with Jorginho in tow should be official today.
And we get to watch a Semifinal featuring Hazard, Kante, T-Bo, Giroud plus possibly bench guys like Michy.

Lots of teammates on the opposite side of the pitch today including Fallaini and Pogba.

I only catch a few EPL games a season but doesn't Courtois also play for Chelsea?

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score

Boyata's an upgrade ;)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lots of teammates on the opposite side of the pitch today including Fallaini and Pogba.

I only catch a few EPL games a season but doesn't Courtois also play for Chelsea?
That's T-BO. Thibault(sp?).

Yea watching Pogba fail is an added plus. LOL!
Tons of these guys are in the EPL so it's a cool experience.