World War II and The Aftermath

triplets_93

Reaction score
I thought Patton and MacArthur were right. Nip it in the bud. Take out China and Russia while we had the upper nuclear hand. But instead, endless UN actions and declarations, and all along, the Industrialists got very very rich.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, America rightfully felt that Great Britain had sucked us into World War I, then known as The Great War. Britain had flown the American flag without our permission on her ships in order to avoid German U-boats. When Germany figured out what they were doing, they then decided to fire on any ship, even ones flying the American flag. By doing that, Britain put American citizens traveling the high seas in danger, and brought us closer to war.

Then after that war, there was strong sentiment not to get dragged into another war, and one can certainly understand why. But Japan attacked us, and their ally, Hitler, foolishly declared war on the United States. If he hadn't, there was still some chance that America's involvement may have been against Japan only.
I’ve never heard that. Not that I don’t believe you but is there proof of that?

terra

Reaction score
I’ve never heard that. Not that I don’t believe you but is there proof of that?
You would not believe it even if he did so - you are never wrong and will never listen to anything otherwise

I was fascinated with WW2 as a kid - my father landed late on D-Day on Omaha Beach and saw the carnage; later wounded in the battle for Cherbourg. I was lucky in one respect; even though he saw terrible things he was willing to talk about most of it. My uncle fought on Iwo Jima; he did not talk much but now and then he would talk to his brother and I tried to listen in when I could.

So I had a personal reason for learning as much as I could about that war.

I have spent probably 50 years reading books and when I could talk to veterans who were there.

So I know so much more about it then you ever will.

And I cannot believe I wasted a few minutes on you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You would not believe it even if he did so - you are never wrong and will never listen to anything otherwise

I was fascinated with WW2 as a kid - my father landed late on D-Day on Omaha Beach and saw the carnage; later wounded in the battle for Cherbourg. I was lucky in one respect; even though he saw terrible things he was willing to talk about most of it. My uncle fought on Iwo Jima; he did not talk much but now and then he would talk to his brother and I tried to listen in when I could.

So I had a personal reason for learning as much as I could about that war.

I have spent probably 50 years reading books and when I could talk to veterans who were there.

So I know so much more about it then you ever will.

And I cannot believe I wasted a few minutes on you.
Maybe he just wants to verify it before he repeats it to someone else. After all, people repeat falsehoods all the time, without knowing they're doing it.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A bit off the subject, but I have always been fascinated by the eastern front during WW2. There have been a lot of books written about Germany's push east against the USSR. With most of western Europe defeated, Hitler turns east and attacks USSR. Why?

Of the estimated 75 million people killed during WW2, roughly half died on the eastern front. It was a brutal and vicious conflict and, despite the 1939 Molotov-Rippentrop non-agressionn pact between Germany and the USSR, conflict seemed inevitable.

Hitler openly hated the bolsheviks and longed for "living space" for the German people. Still, opening an eastern front from Finland to Romania was madness. Although the Soviets never trusted Hitler, there was widespread believe that Germany would not invade Russia.

I have visited a number of memorial sites dedicated to the "Great Patriatic War" (that's how the Russians describe WW2). One of the more interesting is in Volgograd (formerly, Stalingrad). On the western banks on the Volga, in the last (partially) remaining building from the seige, the city has built a very nice museum commemorating the battle.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought Patton and MacArthur were right. Nip it in the bud. Take out China and Russia while we had the upper nuclear hand. But instead, endless UN actions and declarations, and all along, the Industrialists got very very rich.

When Nixon went to China in the 1970s he did so thinking if we opened up Chinese markets to American companies they would make huge profits with over 1 billion new customers to sell to. Instead, China flipped the script and stole US manufacturing to sell their goods made with cheap labor to US consumers making China rich and America a service based economy.

triplets_93

Reaction score
When Nixon went to China in the 1970s he did so thinking if we opened up Chinese markets to American companies they would make huge profits with over 1 billion new customers to sell to. Instead, China flipped the script and stole US manufacturing to sell their goods made with cheap labor to US consumers making China rich and America a service based economy.

China literally bought entire companies and their manufacturing plants, disassembled the plants here, and reassembled them in China.

rags747

Reaction score
As far as Japan they were backed into a corner with the oil embargo, the went for the kill shot and unfortunately for them they missed all of our carriers. Had they taken out our carriers it would have been a very interesting turn of events. Midway was probably the most decisive battle where we took out all of their carriers. The Japanese Navy returned to Japan and did not let anyone know how much their Navy was devastated at Midway. Great win for us!

terra

Reaction score
As far as Japan they were backed into a corner with the oil embargo, the went for the kill shot and unfortunately for them they missed all of our carriers. Had they taken out our carriers it would have been a very interesting turn of events. Midway was probably the most decisive battle where we took out all of their carriers. The Japanese Navy returned to Japan and did not let anyone know how much their Navy was devastated at Midway. Great win for us!
It would have lasted until we took Saipan and the nukes were used; maybe a year longer that way. BUT what we were building was going to swamp Japan; it was just a matter of how long it took; remember only Enterprise and Lexington were in the Pacific; and only one of them MIGHT have been in port that day. We had Yorktown and Saratoga that could have been brought up quickly; and in that case the Wasp would not have been sent to help out the brits in the MED and such
Japan backed themselves into the corner with the invasion of China; no one should ever try and claim otherwise. They wanted war and got it; just not the one they thought they got.

terra

Reaction score
I only say that because he did say it's not that he doesn't believe you. Usually he wouldn't even bother saying that. He'd just straight up say you're lying, or wrong, or something.
He never bothered to learn anything else; so I doubt it

Creeper

Reaction score
Without the Russians war with Germany goes on much longer. Ty Russia…

Russia didn't join the war to help us. In fact, Stalin had a peace agreement with Hitler. It was only when Stalin realized Hitler was coming for him too did he join the war against Germany. He did not join the war against Japan until the war was almost over. Stalin's only interest was his own, which was carving up Europe for the Soviet Union.

And by the way, without Lend-Lease, Russia would probably be speaking German now.

Creeper

Reaction score

The oil embargo was the result of Japan's aggression in Asia.

What I never understood was why Japan's atrocities were not treated the same way Germany's were. While Germany tried to devise more efficient ways to kill Jews, Japan killed the Chinese in the most brutal ways they could imagine. Japan used chemical weapons against the Chinese as well, which was outlawed after WWI. Japan was guilty of a long list of war crimes, many of which went unpunished.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

What I never understood was why Japan's atrocities were not treated the same way Germany's were. While Germany tried to devise more efficient ways to kill Jews, Japan killed the Chinese in the most brutal ways they could imagine. Japan used chemical weapons against the Chinese as well, which was outlawed after WWI. Japan was guilty of a long list of war crimes, many of which went unpunished.
Well, 2 A-bombs...

rags747

Reaction score

Chemical weapons outlawed since WWI and yet the US through 3rd parties supplied Iraq with chemical weapons in their war vs Iran. Unpunished war crimes, there are many unpunished war crimes but I’ll leave it at that before I’m removed from further posting. As long as we all remember that it’s the Winners that get to write the story.