Worst Cowboy Ever?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Smith gets more blame than he deserves.

There were 3 critical plays in that game that directly lead to the Steelers winning and they happened bang, bang, bang.

The bogus PI on Barnes, that instead of ending the drive and forcing a punt became a TD.

Randy White's cast causing a fumble on the kickoff.

Cliff and Charlie switching sides and the umpire's block springing Franco Harris.

That is a 14 point swing, Smith's drop cost us 4 points and had we not lost by 4 it would probably be an after thought.

Good God Thank you!...Jackie Smith was NOT the reason the Cowboys lost that game!

I watched a NFL Network special about Super Bowl XXIII... And Staubach said the same thing!...MANY other factors.

I as I'm sure many others here have, ACTUALLY watched the game and don't go by old highlight reels.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Good God Thank you!...Jackie Smith was NOT the reason the Cowboys lost that game!

I watched a NFL Network special about Super Bowl XXIII... And Staubach said the same thing!...MANY other factors.

I as I'm sure many others here have, ACTUALLY watched the game and don't go by old highlight reels.

One of the factors being that even Staubach said that he sorta aimed the ball...took something off it rather than just firing it...which was probably a mistake.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
One of the factors being that even Staubach said that he sorta aimed the ball...took something off it rather than just firing it...which was probably a mistake.

Yes I forgot to add that! Thank you!

I just kind of get upset with people saying Jackie Smith cost us that game.

He was part of it but a small part...Enough blame to go around!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Yes I forgot to add that! Thank you!

I just kind of get upset with people saying Jackie Smith cost us that game.

He was part of it but a small part...Enough blame to go around!

The series of events in that game, immediately surrounding that drop, were almost bizzare.

Waters got shielded by the ref on Harris' TD run

Gerela SLIPS on the kick off and ends up kicking the ball right to Randy White who happens to have a broken hand and fumbles the ball.

And let's not forget Fred Swearingen's HORRIBLE call.

And we still came within 4 points of winning.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
The series of events in that game, immediately surrounding that drop, were almost bizzare.

Waters got shielded by the ref on Harris' TD run

Gerela SLIPS on the kick off and ends up kicking the ball right to Randy White who happens to have a broken hand and fumbles the ball.

And let's not forget Fred Swearingen's HORRIBLE call.

And we still came within 4 points of winning.
I'll never forget that. It is etched in my nausea forever.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'll never forget that. It is etched in my nausea forever.

Worst part was, the official closest to the play called it an incomplete pass...then Mr Moron comes running in from the other side and throws his flag...

If they had instant replay available, we win that game.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Rafael Septien. Not only is he a kicker but a child molestor. In this case 2 strikes and you're out.

I was about 7 or 8 yrs old when me amd my family(mom,dad, and sister) went to a car show where he was signing autographs. Mind you, this is when he was still playing with the 'Boys(I mean playing football, lol). By this young age I was already a diehard Cowboys fan and was excited to get the chance to meet a Cowboy(even if he was a frickin' kicker), so I showed up wearing my favorite Cowboys t-shirt and jacket.

Anyways, I got his autograph and me and my sister(who was about 10 or 11 back then :()took a picture with him. Now I look at that picture with disgust just thinking about how we took a picture with that sick freak while he had his arms around us.:eek:

Just goes to show, you never know who the sick freaks in the world are.

What makes this even more weird is that he had a very hot wife, she is in the picture too.

jem88

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Alvin Harper ... when he rejoined the team in the late 90s.
Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Granted he did nothing (apart from drawing a key pass interference against the Skins) but he was hardly here long enough to warrant such a label. Should we throw Harold Carmichael in there as well? After all, he did virtually nothing for us.

Now if you talk about Clay Shiver or Marcellus Wiley, those were guys whose presence actually hurt us.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Alvin Harper ... when he rejoined the team in the late 90s.

I don't remember that happening.

I must have sampling the 'recipe' at the time.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
I don't remember that happening.

I must have testing the 'recipe' at the time.

Actually, I was in Texas Stadium for the return game...vs the Commanders...He looked OLD, slow, awkward...I was amazed it was the same guy.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Was just thinking, was this in '97? Dallas seemed hopelessly behind, and pulled it out on a questionable call at the end?

If so, that was the last Texas Stadium game I've been to. And I was sampling some serious recipe that day. Aint no wonder I don't remember.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Was just thinking, was this in '97? Dallas seemed hopelessly behind, and pulled it out on a questionable call at the end?

If so, that was the last Texas Stadium game I've been to. And I was sampling some serious recipe that day. Aint no wonder I don't remember.

Harper's return was in '99, the year that we lost McKnight in preseason, and Irvin, Mills, and McGarity during the regular season for varying stretches of time. He nursed a pulled quad for forever and then was finally released.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
The primary reason we have 5 rings instead of 6. ******.

Also the primary reason they have half a zillion guys in the HOF and we got screwed.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
You got that right pardner. :mad:

Ya know, not to bring up awful stuff...

But...think about it..

We lost after staking Green Bay out to a 14-0 lead...and only lost when Meredith tossed an INT (on a play that look spookily like "the catch") on the last play after Landry sent in the wrong formation. 34-27

We lost the next year in the Ice Bowl on that Starr sneak. 21-17

We lost to the Colts in the Super Bowl on the last play. 16-13

We lost to the Steelers 21-17 in the Super Bowl

We lost the Swearingen game by 4 points. 35-31

And we lost on "The Catch" 28-27

I doubt that any franchise has lost that many close BIG games. Ya know, there are probably 3-4 more super bowl wins if we won the games I listed above.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
Ya know, not to bring up awful stuff...

But...think about it..

We lost after staking Green Bay out to a 14-0 lead...and only lost when Meredith tossed an INT (on a play that look spookily like "the catch") on the last play after Landry sent in the wrong formation. 34-27

We lost the next year in the Ice Bowl on that Starr sneak. 21-17

We lost to the Colts in the Super Bowl on the last play. 16-13

We lost to the Steelers 21-17 in the Super Bowl

We lost the Swearingen game by 4 points. 35-31

And we lost on "The Catch" 28-27

I doubt that any franchise has lost that many close BIG games. Ya know, there are probably 3-4 more super bowl wins if we won the games I listed above.
If Jimmy Johnson doesn't leave, we win SB 29. If we don't create the salary cap, we win at least a couple more. It is possible that we could have doubled our trophy count and have 10 right now. Either way, we still have a history other teams can only dream about.