Would anyone give us a 1st for Zeke?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Ahh so damn true. I won't name names, but there were some that said Dak couldnt produce without Zeke.

LittleD

Reaction score
He wasn't worth that contract under any circumstances. They blinked as they do almost every time. Still a couple of clowns running the circus.

Some of us on this board saw this coming before Jerry unloaded his wallet. This was a forgone conclusion. The new NFL rule for winning teams is that you never pay a RB a second
contract. They are plentiful in every draft. Some of you on this board who said "pay that man his money" are now having to live the nightmare.

kskboys

Reaction score
Some of us on this board saw this coming before Jerry unloaded his wallet. This was a forgone conclusion. The new NFL rule for winning teams is that you never pay a RB a second
contract. They are plentiful in every draft. Some of you on this board who said "pay that man his money" are now having to live the nightmare.
Yup. And even though I'm on the side that says RB's have a lot more value than many believe, no way you pay Zeke that much.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha.

Incomplete analysis. There are many more factors involved, and you shouldn't have left Michel out, that weakens your point.

Since only a few teams win super bowls, there's not a big enough sample size. NE stresses the RB position, having spent a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, snd 4th since 2011. And then put up w/ Blount's BS. Belly has you guys believing RB's don't matter while he quietly wins super bowls w/ the RB position playing a huge role for him. He gotcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philly loaded up on RB's and Ajayi and Blount played huge roles in their super bowl run.

We're in agreement that you cannot overpay them, but I think you're way off in thinking that the position holds little value. And the value in RB's is almost exclusively in chain moving. This one facet has played a huge role in every super bowl winner's run that I can think of.

There's a million analytical tools that show they don't really move the needle on wins and losses, and you would be able to replace 90%+ of an elite RBs production with an average running back backup which is shown every year. Kinda like we are seeing with Pollard and Zeke to some extent.

So if we just need to agree to disagree then I'm all for it.

As for the Pat's using 3rd snd 4th rounders is fine and I'm a proponent of it(that is in no way proportional to spending a top 5 or 1st round pick) but RBs are one of their least highly draft positions so that point doesnt really hold water.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Pollard and Zeke are totally different styles of RBs. I don’t think Pollard could handle the workload like Zeke. I do like how the offense is not as predictable when Pollard is in the game( which needs to be unpredictable when Zeke is in the game). But I do not think Pollard is the Superman that some are making him out to be. But I want them both to be great because they are Dallas Cowboys!!

kskboys

Reaction score
There's a million analytical tools that show they don't really move the needle on wins and losses, and you would be able to replace 90%+ of an elite RBs production with an average running back backup which is shown every year. Kinda like we are seeing with Pollard and Zeke to some extent.

So if we just need to agree to disagree then I'm all for it.

As for the Pat's using 3rd snd 4th rounders is fine and I'm a proponent of it(that is in no way proportional to spending a top 5 or 1st round pick) but RBs are one of their least highly draft positions so that point doesnt really hold water.
Blount says they do. It's seriously much harder to win w/o that guy who can move the chains. Part of the reason ATL lost the super bowl is not using a chain mover. Of course, they had no allowances for that in their playcalling, which is beyond stupid!!!!

Don't agree. Pats have always drafted RB's. Also took Maroney in the 1st back in the day. And chain moving RB's are extremely important to a super bowl run.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dorsett was a no. 2 overall pick. Emmitt was the 17th overall pick.

Both picks resulted in SB wins. Both got paid big bucks on a second contract.

No cut and dried way to get running backs...

That was back in the days before all the rule changes were made. This is now a league that cries for passing the ball.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That was back in the days before all the rule changes were made. This is now a league that cries for passing the ball.

So? There's only one way to win the NFL?

I notice Lamar Jackson isn't passing for a ton of yards. Neither is Brady, Neither is Mahomes.

Dak is, so I guess we're fine now?

We'll see.

Besides, NOBODY is picking up a $90 million dollar contract. The question posed in the post is a moot point...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Only no. If they had drafted another player/position instead and still won a SB then those selections didn't result in the SB they were just on a SB team.

FACTS

IF? So now we're debating alternate universes? The Cowboys DID draft those backs, and it's widely held that Dorsett was the missing piece to the SB title and later appearance. Emmitt had multiple games where he was the offense, for all practical purposes.

Can't change history, dude, nice deflection attempt though...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
IF? So now we're debating alternate universes? The Cowboys DID draft those backs, and it's widely held that Dorsett was the missing piece to the SB title and later appearance. Emmitt had multiple games where he was the offense, for all practical purposes.

Can't change history, dude, nice deflection attempt though...

I guess the point went over your head. That's fine.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think by now, its obvious to everyone that Zeke is no longer a top tier RB.

-Does anyone still think the 90 million dollar contract was worth it?
considering what his value was, what zeke did to establish his value, and what he accomplished and brought to the NFL game since drafted to Cowboys - YES

-Does anyone think that we could trade Zeke if we wanted to, if so, what could we get?
and 1st round pick. with inquiring NFL teams won't view the way zeke gripers do. Now would they trade for that re-signed contract that would have to have stipulations and conduct clauses
that is assumed what the Cowboys themselves put in place, that would be put in question. but what the right inquiring NFL team should do with a vastly talented guy who has zero
injury issue is make sure he is set up with the right coaches, right schemes that best suit zeke's strength, and find out what regimen may have put in place.

-Are there any people, besides me out there that thinks that Pollard has what it takes to be better than Zeke at this point?
Pollard being better than the " 2016 -2017" Zeke ? No. plus it wasn't just zeke's breakaway speed and splash plays, but it's also the forward power and leg drive zeke had at his command.

Tacklers testified that zeke " wears you down" because of his powerful, punishing style. If this same coaching staff put that on Tony Tiger, we'd wear him down even faster than
we did with Zeke last year in 2018.

Plus it's a thankless job to most on viewing fans, but don't forget Zeke is one of very best blitz blocking RBs in the game, that's immense to Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
To be clear, I wasn't a fan of taking Zeke that early. My man was Sheldon Rankins, or trade down.

I wasn't against taking Zeke, but just didn't think that was the wisest use of our draft resources. And I was completely against overpaying him. I thought that was sadly played by Jerry.

However, Zeke has proven his worth. Now it's time to figure out what's wrong w/ our run game and fix it. Whether it Zeke or Moore or JG or Jerry, fix it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To be clear, I wasn't a fan of taking Zeke that early. My man was Sheldon Rankins, or trade down.

I wasn't against taking Zeke, but just didn't think that was the wisest use of our draft resources. And I was completely against overpaying him. I thought that was sadly played by Jerry.

However, Zeke has proven his worth. Now it's time to figure out what's wrong w/ our run game and fix it. Whether it Zeke or Moore or JG or Jerry, fix it.

Zeke is a big part of what is wrong. Do yourself a favor and rewatch the game last week. There are times where there was little space to run, but also plenty of opportunities to hit holes and bounce things outside that he either didn't or couldn't take.
As an example......go to 9 minutes and 25 seconds of the first quarter. Zeke gets through a hole in the line. He has 3 or 4 defenders dead ahead in front of him. The play is blocked perfectly for him to then bounce it outside around a block and he could turn it into a big play. He simply puts his head down and runs straight into 3 or 4 guys.

Go back and watch EVERY time he carries the ball with an open mind. Slow it down and pause it when he gets the ball. The problem is he doesn't bounce outside well. Defenses know this and all they have to do is be strict in their gap control up the middle and Zeke can easily be contained.

Pollard is night and day with his vision and burst. How quickly he hits the hole and is tougher to tackle. On the 20 yard TD catch Pollard makes a guy miss, which Zeke would never be able to do and then bursts into the endzone.

Then of course you have the predictability issue of the running on first down problem with the Cowboys.

quickccc

Reaction score
Overpaying for past accomplishments? That's a different take.

how is it a different take ?

how else do you established your market value before you get down to negotiating/re-signing your future contract ?

how do you think Dlaw established his market value towards his re-signed contract with two back to back banner years in a row ?

Zeke led the league in rushing 2 out of 3 years (and would have been 3 out of 3 if not for goodell and his BS) in his ' past " years.