Would Dak crack the Cowboys top-5 Best QB list? Me, I say no

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I get it, “pops” gives it away you watch a few games on you tube and you know it all, smarter than Landry who couldn’t decide on a QB, also not knowing injury status, as for insults Funny how you like to throw them out but you’re thinned skinned and doesn’t like replies questioning your “knowledge” they weren’t insults on my side.
“watch a few games on YouTube.” I’ve basically obsessed over 1970s football for the past 35 years or so.

I know Morton was injured. I also know the lot of you would not give Dak the same grace if he were injured (see at Philly 2019 or when he had some struggles returning from injury in 2022).

Landry’s indecision on who to start between Roger and Morton is irrelevant to whether he was better than Dak btw.

Was Morton a terrible QB in context of his peers in the 60s/70s? No, but he was a lot closer to the middle than you are clearly willing to admit. Just off the top of my head I’d take Roger, Tarkenton, Jurgensen, Brodie, Gabriel, Unitas, Stabler, Lamonica, Bradshaw, Dawson, Griese, Anderson, Starr, Jones, Hart, Manning and Fouts over Morton.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Insulting is all sad ignorant people have when they know they are wrong, I feel sorry for you got nothing insult, from your posts it appears you’re the child and as you stated I’m “POPs” have a good day Sonny boy
Not even a boy lol.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Insulting is all sad ignorant people have when they know they are wrong, I feel sorry for you got nothing insult, from your posts it appears you’re the child and as you stated I’m “POPs” have a good day Sonny boy
You’re the one who decided to be antagonistic by ignorantly claiming I didn’t watch something I very clearly have. You just can’t handle it when someone snaps back at you, lol.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak would be the top one ....... Losers like Roger and Troy cannot compare.

Let's Go!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!

Brax

Reaction score
“watch a few games on YouTube.” I’ve basically obsessed over 1970s football for the past 35 years or so.

I know Morton was injured. I also know the lot of you would not give Dak the same grace if he were injured (see at Philly 2019 or when he had some struggles returning from injury in 2022).

Landry’s indecision on who to start between Roger and Morton is irrelevant to whether he was better than Dak btw.

Was Morton a terrible QB in context of his peers in the 60s/70s? No, but he was a lot closer to the middle than you are clearly willing to admit. Just off the top of my head I’d take Roger, Tarkenton, Jurgensen, Brodie, Gabriel, Unitas, Stabler, Lamonica, Bradshaw, Dawson, Griese, Anderson, Starr, Jones, Hart, Manning and Fouts over Morton.
CM made it to 2 SBs as a Cowboy his accomplishments put him ahead of Dak which is what OPs post was about. DW would be ahead of Dak also. It was a happy day when Dallas traded CM you keep watching you tube I lived it like others here. As for Landry he had a hard time deciding between the two but of course your watching a few games definitely puts a 3 time SB contributing QB puts in the middle of the pack. Me personally didn’t like Morton , me personally looks for results and so far Dak has had no results worth wanting him to stay around, you're happy with Dak choking is fine but your you tube history is so limited you can’t honestly make statements based on limited knowledge and believe them. I’m done you can have the last word sorry Dak doesn’t make the top 5 Dallas QBs , I bet you have him a number 3

erod

Reaction score
And then you condescend while offering a specious, red herring proof?

Troy has been wrong about talent. I'll give his opinion more weight than the average person's for sure, but his assessment is not the final arbiter of talent.

I suspect your plea is for me to "see" what you "see". One of us is looking OBJECTIVELY and the other is PROJECTING what would be.

Sorry, I saw Romo and he had talent but he also had limitations...including the one in between his ears AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the one in his chest. He lacked leadership intangibles, sulked and was still tinkering and "discovering" his delivery platform in YEAR 12. YEAR 12.

So...I know EXACTLY what I saw. While Romo was tinkering you and others were slobbering imagining him some type of great QB.
You saw nothing. The game escapes you, as it does most Cowboys fans.

Troy did a good job game-managing for 4-5 years when he had the best team perhaps in NFL history. The rest of his career was below average. He wasn't reading defenses at a high level. He was just throwing ins and outs and slants and comebacks when the defense was forced to play the run. His deep ball was inconsistent to be kind. He couldn't move a lick in the pocket. He was tough, and he had a good arm, just like Romo, but he knew 21 points or more was almost a sure win.

Troy would have been maimed and gone fast if he had to play during Romo's time. He'd be Marc Bulger. When Jimmy left and the team fell apart, Troy could do NOTHING about it. He didn't have the talent to do so.

Romo was carrying a rag-tag franchise with 5-11 rosters to the playoffs. Jerry was ignoring the offensive line for years. The defense posted the worst statistical years in Cowboys - and NFL - history multiple times. He had to gun-sling because he had to put up 30+ to win games. By the time Garrett convinced Jerry to finally invest in the offensive line, which takes multiple drafts, Romo was broken from the beatings. However, he still was more athletic at the end than Troy ever was.

Romo was clinical at how he read defenses the last half of his career. At the level of the very best in the league. Troy just continued to throw quick slants and out the whole way. He was just a guy his last multiple years.

You can point to numerous games that Romo won on his back. You can't point to any with Troy. One inherited the greatest staff and roster in Cowboys history. The other inherited a drunken GM hellbent on trying to prove he was Jimmy's equal with the likes of Kavika Pittman, Ebennezar Ekuban, David LaFleur, Morris Claiborne and the rest of his clueless run of roster mismana gement. While Jerry was trying to cut Romo for Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson, it took Bill Parcells to tell him, no, the good quarterback is the one over there that Sean Payton is trying to give you.

Circumstances and timing are everything. Romo wins 4 or 5 Super Bowls with Troy's teams. Troy doesn't make the playoffs half the years Romo did with those post-2000 teams.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
CM made it to 2 SBs as a Cowboy his accomplishments put him ahead of Dak which is what OPs post was about. DW would be ahead of Dak also. It was a happy day when Dallas traded CM you keep watching you tube I lived it like others here. As for Landry he had a hard time deciding between the two but of course your watching a few games definitely puts a 3 time SB contributing QB puts in the middle of the pack. Me personally didn’t like Morton , me personally looks for results and so far Dak has had no results worth wanting him to stay around, you're happy with Dak choking is fine but your you tube history is so limited you can’t honestly make statements based on limited knowledge and believe them. I’m done you can have the last word sorry Dak doesn’t make the top 5 Dallas QBs , I bet you have him a number 3
Lol you are giving him credit to making it as the backup in 71 lol. And my research is much much more than YouTube. I’ve read the books written then, I’ve combed through the archives. I’ve listened to what the people who were there said. Characterizing my research as YouTube-based is in fact, insulting.

But if you’re truly interested, I have Dak at 5 with Romo. Meredith is 3rd, followed by White. That said, Dak has the opportunity to add to his accomplishments still while the others are long retired…

Also, Morton got to the Super Bowl because he played on loaded teams. How’d he look with the Giants? Oh that’s right. Not so great.

Brax

Reaction score
Lol you are giving him credit to making it as the backup in 71 lol. And my research is much much more than YouTube. I’ve read the books written then, I’ve combed through the archives. I’ve listened to what the people who were there said. Characterizing my research as YouTube-based is in fact, insulting.

But if you’re truly interested, I have Dak at 5 with Romo. Meredith is 3rd, followed by White. That said, Dak has the opportunity to add to his accomplishments still while the others are long retired…

Also, Morton got to the Super Bowl because he played on loaded teams. How’d he look with the Giants? Oh that’s right. Not so great.
What accomplishments are they, participation trophies and choking. You are too funny.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
1. Staubach (2 SBs wins out of 4)
2. Aikman (3 SB wins out of 3)
3. Romo (Severely underrated and had horrible to average lines on both sides of the ball for years and Jason “who should never have been coaching at any position at the professional level” Garrett as a head coach and offensive coordinator for almost a decade)
4. White (went to 3 straight SBs but was the QB of the team that made me cry as wee lad in the 1982 NFC Championship game).

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
@Brax and @windward are both dyed in the fool fans.
You good lads don't have to put your fandom on display. Both of you are true blue. Shake hands and congratulate each other for caring and putting forth good cases. Blimey, I learned a lot from you two blokes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hell Yes!!!
1. Romo
2. Staubach
3. White
4. Aikman
5. Prescott
You are such a disappointment to us. Sent you to that fancy school in Texarkana, summers in Waco... only the best. Tread lightly or no more money from Buby and I.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I honestly can't speak on past qbs cause I'm only 38. So I'll sit this one out and learn from the OGs on this message board. Educate me.
In the beginning, there was Clint Murchinson Jr., and he looked at football crazy Texas and he said it was good ...

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
1. Roger
2. Aikman
3. Dandy Don
4. Craig Morton
5. Danny White

You chaps might have different ideas.

Holla and brings me a dollah
Oh for the love of god Morton was terrible and I watched every game. He couldn’t hold Tony’s jock.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I think you could pretty much throw a blanket over 3-5.
Got to give the edge to Romo as overall he did not have the teams and coaching that Dak has had. By the time he was a real vet starter, he had a misplaced DC and a Jethro wonder boy as HC, at least Dak has had a real HC, and while Romo had a very good team for three of his starting years (2007-2009) he never had a complete team afterwards to go along with a not qualified HC.
But both he and Dak had to carry around the dead weight of Jethro the whole time
Romo had Bill Parcels. Lol. Parcels is better than Garrett and McCarthy

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Oh for the love of god Morton was terrible and I watched every game. He couldn’t hold Tony’s jock.
Be it safe to say tha when you get past 3 the candidates seem fraught with drawbacks, Morton the Terrible, Tony the Bobble or injured, Dak the playoff choker, Danny the No Danny No! guy, etc
Blimey! Football talk always makes me hungry. I believe I will have a fried bologna sandwich and a Dr Pepper.

plasticman

Reaction score
Just an honorable mention......

Eddie Lebaron, a.k.a., the "Little General" was the first starting quarterback for the expansion Cowboys.

The Cowboys didn't win a single game in their first season, but they did tie the powerhouse Giants in the second to last game when Lebaron threw a last minute TD to Billy Howton, one of three that game. The Giants were 10-2 the previous season with Tom Landry as their DC,

In the 2nd season, the Cowboys went 4-9-1, the first season of a 14 game format. The Cowboys beat the Giants that year 17-16 on a last minute field goal. The other two scores were passing TD's from Lebaron

Lebaron made it to the Pro Bowl in his 3rd season with the Cowboys in a season where they went 5-8-1. He led the NFL in passer rating while sharing time with Don Meredith.

Before playing in the NFL, Lebaron received a bronze star for valor while serving in the Korean War. His squad was ambushed but he led them to safety.