Would Garrett get another HC job, like Jerry thinks, if he was released/fired?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
The reality is he would get a job without a doubt but it would be with a Bengals/Tampa type team that just wants stability/being OK vs winning championships

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Probably so
I think he’s more respected around the league than here

Most people outside the team would just see the record. The tidy appearance. The Princeton diploma. (Jerry seems a bit too wowed with the intellect of a football player from Princeton.)

We've watched game time decisions cost us a game or two a season. Remember the Roy Williams trade. Watched the contracts of players squandered, particularly on offense. Increasingly, I think he runs his coaching staff poorly.

The Cowboys have prospered for a while because of player acquisition. Many of the players have their best seasons as rookies. What does that tell you about the coaching staff?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He might...but most coaching vacancies occur on bottom-feeding and/or underachieving teams, where coaches enter/exit thru constantly moving turnstiles.

It’s a steep success curve and, unlike his country-club gig with Jerry, none of the aforementioned types of teams would give Garrett more than three seasons to go deep into the postseason — much less put up with a 3-peat of 8-8, as Jones did.
Owners and GM’s will look at the talent on this team over the years, then look at Garrett’s production, especially playoff production. They will conclude Garrett is a big time underachiever considering the talent this team has had while Garrett has been the coach.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Most people outside the team would just see the record. The tidy appearance. The Princeton diploma. (Jerry seems a bit too wowed with the intellect of a football player from Princeton.)

We've watched game time decisions cost us a game or two a season. Remember the Roy Williams trade. Watched the contracts of players squandered, particularly on offense. Increasingly, I think he runs his coaching staff poorly.

The Cowboys have prospered for a while because of player acquisition. Many of the players have their best seasons as rookies. What does that tell you about the coaching staff?
Smart football people know Garrett is a huge under achiever. Just ask 99.5% of Cowboys fans!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Probably so
He is maybe, more respected by fans of other teams, who don’t pay attention to his stupid decisions and his history in the playoffs. But Owners and GM’s know Garrett’s ineptness in the playoffs.

conner01

Reaction score
He is maybe, more respected by fans of other teams, who don’t pay attention to his stupid decisions and his history in the playoffs. But Owners and GM’s know Garrett’s ineptness in the playoffs.
Around the league with owners I think he’s lots more respected than fans here think

Fire407

Reaction score
He would. For several teams, just getting to the playoffs is the goal.
He got to the playoffs because the talent on this team outplayed the coaching. If he is truly given another head coaching job, he'll be lucky to get 8 wins. I don't think Jerry would ever let his statement be put to the test. He will help Jason save face by promoting him,

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say hel_ no!

What do you say?

He would within 1 weeks time....sorry but that's how I see it....you guys forget how difficult it is to work with a GM who is also the OWNER of the team.....jeez....reality folks REALITY!!!!

P.S. And esp a Ego-monster like Jerry!!!

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I say hel_ no!

What do you say?
how many other teams out there looking for puppets. Garrett would require too much coddling and ownership decisions and owners don't normally do that. They want someone in charge of more decisions like Jimmy Johnsons. Garrett would require too much input from the owner. He's get fired because hes just a yes man who is not in charge of most decisions

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Probably so

I think you overstate how respected he is around the league as a coach. Maybe as a person but if the national media is any indication, Garrett is seen as an average head coach.

But in a league that retreads the hell out of guys, he could get another job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't really matter. It would only prove there's another GM out there as stupid as Jerry Jones.
Jerry Jones is THE most popular guy in Filly, NY and Wash. The fans there love him because as long as he’s in charge the Cowboys are nothing more than flirtations of their past.

I have a cousin who is a Filly fan and lives up there. He LOVES Jerry Jones and reminds me all the time.

ICP

Reaction score
I'm gonna say.... Not a chance. In fact other than Jimmy Johnson have any of the HC Jerry has hired gone on to coach another team?