Would Hill have gone 1st round if not for attitude?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Honest question because I don't follow college players until DC.com starts their draft show. Excited about the pick.

Honest answer to an honest question, I have no idea. Seems he was a bit inconsistent too. There was certainly a run on DT's in the first round though. I'll let the draft gurus on here tackle that one, they seem to spend hours watching tape that I don't have. Maybe some are even real scouts IDK

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, he's not a 1st round talent. If he were, his attitude wouldn't even matter. If he were a first round talent, teams would have overlooked it. Too many examples of idiots getting drafted in the first round with way worse attitudes. He might develop into a pretty solid player Hill is not a First Round talent IMO.

Still, it doesn't mean that he can't develop into a pretty nice player for us. He does have some tools.
He's a rotational player unless he proves he's a hole plugger in the run game. But the real question is does he upgrade the interior of the DL?

And I have no problem with a rotational player with a 2nd round pick. If his motor is a problem for the interior of OL's on passing downs, he was worth the pick. It will be interesting to see his play count and pressure count.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
We don't ask the 3 tech to be a run stopper.

Also that's a matter of technique and discipline not ability.

As I've stated numerous times you make fewer mistakes when you take big over little. Especially when that big is a big time athlete with a skill that translates favorably to the NFL.

/shrug.
You haven't seemed happy lately...

I do consultations.

You bring the good liquor and I won't bill.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's a rotational player unless he proves he's a hole plugger in the run game. But the real question is does he upgrade the interior of the DL?

And I have no problem with a rotational player with a 2nd round pick. If his motor is a problem for the interior of OL's on passing downs, he was worth the pick. It will be interesting to see his play count and pressure count.

I actually think he can be more then that Coach but your are 100% right. Unless and until he proves it, that's what he is.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You haven't seemed happy lately...

I do consultations.

You bring the good liquor and I won't bill.

Last time I heard this, my Wife was telling it to me. By the time the day was over I had written a 25K check for a Toy Hauler and would eventually get up the next day and figure out how I was going to get my hands on Diesel Pickup that could pull a 30 footer.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Last time I heard this, my Wife was telling it to me. By the time the day was over I had written a 25K check for a Toy Hauler and would eventually get up the next day and figure out how I was going to get my hands on Diesel Pickup that could pull a 30 footer.
I can see a job well done when I see one.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No. His production is mediocre. He's a projection of what he could do. Nothing more.

And his starting for UFC also was mediocre 'cause the coaches disliked him thus started only 1 game which led to mediocre production.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And his starting for UFC also was mediocre 'cause the coaches disliked him thus started only 1 game which led to mediocre production.

He played plenty of snaps. He was just a mediocre player. No production.

waldoputty

Reaction score
trysten hill had a pressure rate of 11.6%. he was not listed in the table i found because he apparently did not have enough pass rush snaps to qualify. that puts him as #3 in pressure rate among drafted dts. note the top 3 were all drafted in the 1st round. williams #3, oliver #9, wilkins #13.
note that this does not take account of benefits from other players causing havoc in the defense. q williams had benefit of other top players in the alabama defense. wilkins had the benefit of other top players in the clemson defense. on the other hand, hill was the best player in his dl. in the same way, oliver would probably also have been the best player in his dl in houston.

Player
Pressure Rate
Quinnen Williams 17% (Alabama line)
Christian Wilkins 12% (Clemson line)
<------------------------------------- hill would be here at 11.6% if he had enough snaps
Ed Oliver 11% (Houston line)
Dexter Lawrence 10%
Isaiah Buggs 10%

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...n-dallas-and-should-see-the-field-immediately

kskboys

Reaction score
Guys, he's not a 1st round talent. If he were, his attitude wouldn't even matter. If he were a first round talent, teams would have overlooked it. Too many examples of idiots getting drafted in the first round with way worse attitudes. He might develop into a pretty solid player Hill is not a First Round talent IMO.

Still, it doesn't mean that he can't develop into a pretty nice player for us. He does have some tools.
Due to question marks, he's not really a 2nd round talent either. However, w/ his high ceiling, his draft status was all over the place.

reddyuta

Reaction score
DTs bust all the time,Even those with great production taken very high in the draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
DTs bust all the time,Even those with great production taken very high in the draft.
Yes, they do. That's why perennial contenders such as NE, NYG, PITT, and BALT are always taking one. Find a guy w/ traits, and grab him to see if he'll turn out. That's how NYJ ended up w/ Pouha, PITT ended up w/ Hargrave, etc...

Malik Jackson was a 6th round "traits" pick by DEN. Houston threw a 6th at massive DJ Reader and ended up w/ a top 10 NT

cern

Reaction score
I have no idea. all I know for sure is that he's a cowboy now. hope he has a great career here.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Honest question because I don't follow college players until DC.com starts their draft show. Excited about the pick.

I haven't seen any evidence or reports that Hill had a bad attitude during the pre-draft process. Whatever negatives he had were related to him being frustrated and vocal about not getting to play more, given he was the best Dlineman the Central Florida Knights had on their team. I'm not sure that many NFL executives will interpret an extreme desire to play as being necessarily negative.

I think he was a 2nd round pick because he didn't start (due to the change in coaching staff), and he played against lesser competition. And unlike many fans, I don't think there is a chance he would have lasted to pick 90. No chance at all. Even if half the NFL teams didn't like him, there were plenty enough teams that did like him that he would have been picked up soon after pick 58 if the Cowboys had not chosen him.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I haven't seen any evidence or reports that Hill had a bad attitude during the pre-draft process. Whatever negatives he had were related to him being frustrated and vocal about not getting to play more, given he was the best Dlineman the Central Florida Knights had on their team. I'm not sure that many NFL executives will interpret an extreme desire to play as being necessarily negative.

I think he was a 2nd round pick because he didn't start (due to the change in coaching staff), and he played against lesser competition. And unlike many fans, I don't think there is a chance he would have lasted to pick 90. No chance at all. Even if half the NFL teams didn't like him, there were plenty enough teams that did like him that he would have been picked up soon after pick 58 if the Cowboys had not chosen him.

2 dts were taken between hill and #90.
dre'mont jone at #71
saunders at #84

look at how hill compares with these 2 physically.
hills weighs 310-330
jones is much smaller at 281 while saunders is 320 with shorter arms.

furthermore, hill is superior athletically to jones in all the important categories
and superior athletically to saunders in 3 out of 4 categories.

for the critical penetration stats for 3t, hill is vastly more explosive than both, even the smaller jones.
vertical jump (pure explosiveness) is 35" for hill while for 30.5" saunders and 31.5" for the much smaller jones.
broad jump (explosive + balance) is 115" for hill while 101" for saunders and 110" for much smaller jones
3 cone (pure agility) is 7.7 for hill while 7.57 for saunders and 7.71 for jones
shuttle (agility + explosion) is 4.38 for hill while 4.62 for saunders and 4.53 for jones

since some call saunder explosive, what does that make hill - rocket launched?
seriously doubt hill would have last until 90

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
2 dts were taken between hill and #90.
dre'mont jone at #71
saunders at #84

look at how hill compares with these 2 physically.
hills weighs 310-330
jones is much smaller at 281 while saunders is 320 with shorter arms.

furthermore, hill is superior athletically to jones in all the important categories
and superior athletically to saunders in 3 out of 4 categories.

for the critical penetration stats for 3t, hill is vastly more explosive than both, even the smaller jones.
vertical jump (pure explosiveness) is 35" for hill while for 30.5" saunders and 31.5" for the much smaller jones.
broad jump (explosive + balance) is 115" for hill while 101" for saunders and 110" for much smaller jones
3 cone (pure agility) is 7.7 for hill while 7.57 for saunders and 7.71 for jones
shuttle (agility + explosion) is 4.38 for hill while 4.62 for saunders and 4.53 for jones

since some call saunder explosive, what does that make hill - rocket launched?
seriously doubt hill would have last until 90
Saunders is more of a high floor low ceiling type. His high is prolly a 6.5, Hill's potential is a 9. However, Saunders low is a 4.5, Hill's is a 1.5.