Would Jerry make Kellen Moore HC to keep him from other teams?

quickccc

Reaction score
We've already had this discussion. Here is what I've already said on the topic. Maybe you'll read it here.

I think you are very close to diagnosing this situation right but you have one critical component all wrong. Jason Garrett is a great evaluator of talent and is misplaced at his current job as HC but he shouldn't be allowed to walk as you say, he should be promoted. You are right about Jerry needing to keep his ego in check, he needs to do the right thing by giving up the GM responsibilities and make room for Garrett in the Front office with the GM title. This will make room for Kellen Moore to become our HC and prevent him from being poached by another team.

The Jones boys see the coaching greatness they have in Kellen Moore. It's evident when he is moved from player to QB coach to OC in progressive seasons. They are not going to allow him to be recruited away from this franchise. They have a clear career path for this young man and its nothing short of being the HC for the Dallas Cowboys for decades to come.

and if the Jones so happen to promote Garrett to GM,... and if i'm Wil McClay i'd find some way to buy my way out of my contract here and seek a GM job elsewhere.
there is no greater evaluator of talent than Wil McClay on this team. and we're going to job Garrett over Wil ?
And I don't see Garrett mousing down to a far lesser job as a scout consultant, when there could be some NFL team that has well regard of Garrett as a OC ..at best.

- here's another thing, if Kellen is an overnight success, that very likely means we had a very successful year on the offensive side of the ball, and further
helps the cause of Garrett, as this is really his offensive philosophy Moore is implementing., and wins goes to
If Garrett's team makes it to the NFC title or even to the Super Bowl,.. do we still fire Garrett ?

- or do we go the way of the Rams as they did with promoting OC Mike Martz-in and head coach Diiccckk Vermeil-out ( " retired" ?)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Jerry were to give up the GM title, it would be for Will McClay, not Jason Garrett.

I'd rather see McClay GM and Garrett walk than vice versa. If Garrett were to become GM, McClay would most certainly leave.
Am I going to have to educate you people about the inner workings of the front office again? It seems like I've done this every other day this week. Pay attention students, the professor is getting tired of repeating himself.

McClay has addressed how he feels about having the GM title. He spoke his mind and I don't think he was just saying it to appease the Jones boys. He is completely satisfied with what he is currently doing without the GM title. He's in the bird seat doing his ideal job in the city where his son lives. He doesn't have designs on getting Garrett removed to make room for Kellen Moore as our HC. If Garret needs to be moved, he will be promoted.

Rather than projecting your own vanity to McClay, who has no vanity about him. Let's be real here and understand If the front office operated like the mafia, Jason Garrett would be a made man. If Jerry were to ever check his ego enough to give the GM job to another man, it would be Jason Garrett. And the entire FO(including Will) would rejoice in that decision.

Your own preference may be different but these are the facts as they are. We are stuck with Garrett so take your pick, Jerry as GM, Garrett, as HC and Moore as OC or Moore as HC and Garrett as GM and who knows as OC? Keeping Kellen my require promoting him so here's how it happens. Believe that! The professor is off his soapbox.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
and if the Jones so happen to promote Garrett to GM,... and if i'm Wil McClay i'd find some way to buy my way out of my contract here and seek a GM job elsewhere.
there is no greater evaluator of talent than Wil McClay on this team. and we're going to job Garrett over Wil ?
And I don't see Garrett mousing down to a far lesser job as a scout consultant, when there could be some NFL team that has well regard of Garrett as a OC ..at best.

- here's another thing, if Kellen is an overnight success, that very likely means we had a very successful year on the offensive side of the ball, and further
helps the cause of Garrett, as this is really his offensive philosophy Moore is implementing., and wins goes to
If Garrett's team makes it to the NFC title or even to the Super Bowl,.. do we still fire Garrett ?

- or do we go the way of the Rams as they did with promoting OC Mike Martz-in and head coach Diiccckk Vermeil-out ( " retired" ?)
See post #82.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think it will happen after 1 season let alone 1 game. McVay was an OC for 2 season before he got a chance, Sean Payton 5 seasons. One day Moore may get the chance but I think people are jumping the gun big time. I'm sure if Moore is doing a good job Jerry will do everything he can to keep him but I would also say not all coordinators have made it as HC. Different dynamic as a HC than a Coordinator. Wade is one of the top DC in the league but his chances as HC has been less than great.

it's a hypothetical discussion, it's a down the road future decision.
And if fan/media mania can get wowed by Kellen thru the season, I can see managing teams being wowed and intrigued enough to
considering pursuing Moore because they can envision what he can bring to their organization, the new enthusiasm and hope they could thinking it would bring to the players, ..and home fan interest.

And I wouldn’t think jerry would hire a Kellen moore for the sake of keeping him from other teams, but you promote and hire Kellen for the sake of your own team.
I’m not hiring/promoting a HC, because I’m worried about other teams – I’m hiring him for what he gives the dallas cowboys.

1) What does Kellen have to offer as a HC that makes you think would translate into being a top HC,, rather than a HC ?
2) In fact what makes a top notch head coach ?

3) How do you know if he’s more suited as an X’s and Os OC than he would be as Head Coach ?
4) And what was McVay’s duties and responsibilities before he was made OC .. and eventual HC ?
5) Was Wade Phillips failing as a HC ?

6) If you’re replacing Garrett, what was his failings and shortcomings that you felt necessary to fire him ?

- Hypothetically If Kellen were to become Cowboys HC,.. the plus side is this offense would always stays here/goes thru him … no matter who becomes the new OC that Kellen hires on or promotes
or if that OC gets his own offer to become a HC in the future. … this brand, style, philosophy and approach of offense always stays with and goes thru Kellen Moore.

Just as their respective offenses goes thru the likes of Peyton, McVay, Pederson, Andy Reid, … so long as the HC is the mastermind of the offense – those teams will never lose that offense.
- And that’s so very important to someone highly invested like Dak.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
it's a hypothetical discussion, it's a down the road future decision.
And if fan/media mania can get wowed by Kellen thru the season, I can see managing teams being wowed and intrigued enough to
considering pursuing Moore because they can envision what he can bring to their organization, the new enthusiasm and hope they could thinking it would bring to the players, ..and home fan interest.

And I wouldn’t think jerry would hire a Kellen moore for the sake of keeping him from other teams, but you promote and hire Kellen for the sake of your own team.
I’m not hiring/promoting a HC, because I’m worried about other teams – I’m hiring him for what he gives the dallas cowboys.

1) What does Kellen have to offer as a HC that makes you think would translate into being a top HC,, rather than a HC ?
2) In fact what makes a top notch head coach ?

3) How do you know if he’s more suited as an X’s and Os OC than he would be as Head Coach ?
4) And what was McVay’s duties and responsibilities before he was made OC .. and eventual HC ?
5) Was Wade Phillips failing as a HC ?

6) If you’re replacing Garrett, what was his failings and shortcomings that you felt necessary to fire him ?

- Hypothetically If Kellen were to become Cowboys HC,.. the plus side is this offense would always stays here/goes thru him … no matter who becomes the new OC that Kellen hires on or promotes
or if that OC gets his own offer to become a HC in the future. … this brand, style, philosophy and approach of offense always stays with and goes thru Kellen Moore.

Just as their respective offenses goes thru the likes of Peyton, McVay, Pederson, Andy Reid, … so long as the HC is the mastermind of the offense – those teams will never lose that offense.
- And that’s so very important to someone highly invested like Dak.

Personally I think Garrett is the public whipping boy, he takes blame for any and all loses no one else yet we have success and he played no part needs to go? You guys may feel that way that is fine. Richard comes in last season we need to make him HC now Moore and his offense has a great game we need to make him HC. One day Moore may make a fine HC same with Richard but being a HC is not about calling plays it is about leading a team of 53 and having them working for the same goal.

Rayman70

Reaction score
yes he would. But first things first, once JG is released from purgatory, then Richard will be the HC...then Moore will remain the OC for about 3 years..then I expect he will get his turn.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Moore will get taken to school at some point...maybe as early as this weekend. In fact, I hope it happens soon so we can see how he responds and adjusts.
I think our defense better step up this week. I'm not concerned about the offense. The D better be on point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
yes he would. But first things first, once JG is released from purgatory, then Richard will be the HC...then Moore will remain the OC for about 3 years..then I expect he will get his turn.

If this team wins a championship Garrett will not be going anywhere. You can play fantasy all day but no way is he fired if they where to win it all.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking if our offense far exceeded expectations and this team made it far into the playoffs. I couldn’t imagine Kellen Moore not getting phone calls from other teams regarding head coach positions. Do you think Jerry would move on from Jason Garrett and make Kellen Moore the head coach?

Mods: Please correct Kellen’s name in the title

My head hurts reading this stuff.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Moore getting HC offers is ridiculous. I think everyone is looking at McVey as the prototype, young talented offensive guru. McVey starting coaching for the Commanders in 2010. He spent 3 years as OC. Then he go his shot with the Rams. Let's see - Kellen Moore spends 1 year as QB coach, 1 game as an OC and we are already talking about him as an NFL head coach?

Can we wait and see how he does against the Pats?

Another thing - Does anyone truly believe Moore's career arc is going to be a straight line up? Anyone? He will struggle sometime.
This time last year people were talking about Richards as a HC. It takes more than just calling plays to make a good HC and it takes time for new coaches to get a "feel" for the game...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This time last year people were talking about Richards as a HC. It takes more than just calling plays to make a good HC and it takes time for new coaches to get a "feel" for the game...

Exactly. KR is way more qualified today.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’d agree . But in 2017 it was without Elliott for 6 games and Smith for a few of those as well going 3-3 knocking us out of the playoffs. We obviously saw how talent impacts the results.

And in 2018 without a WR1 for first 7 games , fell to 3-4 until we acquired Cooper who saved the season and probably Daks career. Maybe Garrett’s job too.

The biggest impact I see is the talent we’ve added to begin the season with Cooper, Cobb return of Witten with Frederick and OL healthy. Moore’s play calling a definite plus. Again, more talent better results.

Dak has been more impressive with additional surrounding cast. Especially lesser teams.

But I’d be in the same mindset if we’d struggled out of the shoot early with Moore. Give it time to develop.

Fortunately we begin the season with our softest stretch and hopefully will be jelling by October when we are tested . Looking like could be a good season. Ultimately though it will be measured in January.

Of course more talent, better results. But are you really going to act like that offense and play calling Moore just rolled out against he Giants looked anything like the Garrett offense ever?

Coaching matters as well.

Reaction score
Am I going to have to educate you people about the inner workings of the front office again? It seems like I've done this every other day this week. Pay attention students, the professor is getting tired of repeating himself.

McClay has addressed how he feels about having the GM title. He spoke his mind and I don't think he was just saying it to appease the Jones boys. He is completely satisfied with what he is currently doing without the GM title. He's in the bird seat doing his ideal job in the city where his son lives. He doesn't have designs on getting Garrett removed to make room for Kellen Moore as our HC. If Garret needs to be moved, he will be promoted.

Rather than projecting your own vanity to McClay, who has no vanity about him. Let's be real here and understand If the front office operated like the mafia, Jason Garrett would be a made man. If Jerry were to ever check his ego enough to give the GM job to another man, it would be Jason Garrett. And the entire FO(including Will) would rejoice in that decision.

Your own preference may be different but these are the facts as they are. We are stuck with Garrett so take your pick, Jerry as GM, Garrett, as HC and Moore as OC or Moore as HC and Garrett as GM and who knows as OC? Keeping Kellen my require promoting him so here's how it happens. Believe that! The professor is off his soapbox.

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

See, I have no time to deal with arrogant, condensending jerks like youself. So every letter you typed was a complete waste. I don't know what you said and I don't care.

Completely worthless.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking if our offense far exceeded expectations and this team made it far into the playoffs. I couldn’t imagine Kellen Moore not getting phone calls from other teams regarding head coach positions. Do you think Jerry would move on from Jason Garrett and make Kellen Moore the head coach?

Mods: Please correct Kellen’s name in the title
I like to enjoy the present myself.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I stopped reading after the first sentence.

See, I have no time to deal with arrogant, condensending jerks like youself. So every letter you typed was a complete waste. I don't know what you said and I don't care.

Completely worthless.
Your loss, doesn't hurt me one bit. Others still read my post and send me messages thanking for my wise words. I'm fine with you remaining as ignorant as you've always been. In truth, I'm glad my wise words won't benefit you. lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course more talent, better results. But are you really going to act like that offense and play calling Moore just rolled out against he Giants looked anything like the Garrett offense ever?

Coaching matters as well.
At times, yes there were some similarities. But with all of the newer talent in Cobb, Cooper and Gallup it’s difficult to see it.

We know it’s the same offense. Much like I saw similarities when Linehan was calling plays. And Callahan. The main difference I see is the talent and their skill sets. There were also some good plays called and they were executed well.

Coaching does matter. I think talent matters more and why even our greatest coaches had more success with greater talent .

Last edited: