Would losing Romo really be that bad?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Not that I want Romo hurt, but if we lose him, is that really all that bad? I guess it depends on what you want. From the perspective of the playoffs, history shows us we don't lose anything. We all know his win or go home record even in his best years. And he only has a couple partial years left at best,

And losing him would let us see what we really have with Dak, and accelerate Dak's learning curve. And if Zeke does live up to his hype, it might be good for those two rookies take over the team now.

So if (when) Romo goes down, it might be the best thing for this team going forward.
It would be bad, but it wouldn't be as bad as before because Dak has shown that he can play.

Primetime42

Reaction score
suicide-bear.jpg

CowboyChris

Reaction score
What is so wrong with what they are talking about?? If you don't like the discussion, don't read it. What is it going to take to convince YOU and the other dudes that basically live on here and think Romo is Holy, that there might be other options with his injury history and with the way Dak is playing???GOOD GRIEF
I totally agree, if someone is tired of talking about a subject that is less than 24 hours ago, by all means start your own thread and talk about whatever.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
What is so wrong with what they are talking about?? If you don't like the discussion, don't read it. What is it going to take to convince YOU and the other dudes that basically live on here and think Romo is Holy, that there might be other options with his injury history and with the way Dak is playing???GOOD GRIEF
Way to completely miss the point.

DMAC

Reaction score
Way to completely miss the point.

The only point in any of your post is to defend Tony to death. It's cool you like him. We all have favorites. But you take it to the point of ridiculous, so much many on here laugh their butts off over how you defend him.

My point was, and BTW you missed it, was based on Tony's playoff success, or lack thereof, getting Dak started earlier could be a good thing for us long term.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Once again....too many of you all have not been paying attention. Jerry has cultivated an environment where star power/relationships has taken priority over winning(just re-visit him bemoaning passing over Johnny Manziel). Has he done this purposely? No. He really believed 500 coaches could coach this team. He really believed that he would become a GM that could have a Super Bowl contending team on a consistent basis. Once he realized these things were not as easy as Jimmy made them look. He made business moves to ensure that at the very least this organization was highly profitable. No surprise there. He is one of the best when it comes to making money

What does this have to do with Romo you ask? Romo has starpower. AND....AND...Jerry is very comfortable with Romo. I am pretty sure Romo makes Jerry feel a lot better about himself than Troy EVER did. Jerry is also comfortable with Garrett. And we know Garrett makes Jerry feel better about himself than Jimmy EVER did. Jerry is also very comfortable with Witten. No matter how many 2nd round picks we have used on TEs...not one....not one..was able to get Witten's snaps reduced. Were they as good as Witten? No. Should we have gotten more out of our investment of a 2nd round pick? Yes. Would those players been more productive had they been drafted by some other team? Yes. Have those players gone elsewhere and proven that they at least deserved a bigger opportunity than they got in Dallas. Yes.

What I am trying to say is...because of the culture in Dallas....certain people have been afforded the run of this place. Romo will decide when Romo is finished. No...that does not mean that he will play another 10 years....but he will not be benched by this outfit anytime soon. Just like Wittens snaps have not been reduced. Just like Garrett is not on the hot seat this year like so many people think he is. I would bet this front office is waiting for the glass slipper to fall off from Dak. Heck...you want more proof that they don't really want anybody here to threaten Romo? They were prepared to roll with Kellen Moore this year as the backup. Dak has looked better than Kellen Moore will ever look. And ironically, if Moore does not get hurt....we would have never seen Dak.

Might be too much for some of you all to swallow. But all I am saying is.....pay attention.

And for the record...I have been as big a Romo defender here on this board...and in private circles amongst other NFL fans.

Verdict

Reaction score
Once again....too many of you all have not been paying attention. Jerry has cultivated an environment where star power/relationships has taken priority over winning(just re-visit him bemoaning passing over Johnny Manziel). Has he done this purposely? No. He really believed 500 coaches could coach this team. He really believed that he would become a GM that could have a Super Bowl contending team on a consistent basis. Once he realized these things were not as easy as Jimmy made them look. He made business moves to ensure that at the very least this organization was highly profitable. No surprise there. He is one of the best when it comes to making money

What does this have to do with Romo you ask? Romo has starpower. AND....AND...Jerry is very comfortable with Romo. I am pretty sure Romo makes Jerry feel a lot better about himself than Troy EVER did. Jerry is also comfortable with Garrett. And we know Garrett makes Jerry feel better about himself than Jimmy EVER did. Jerry is also very comfortable with Witten. No matter how many 2nd round picks we have used on TEs...not one....not one..was able to get Witten's snaps reduced. Were they as good as Witten? No. Should we have gotten more out of our investment of a 2nd round pick? Yes. Would those players been more productive had they been drafted by some other team? Yes. Have those players gone elsewhere and proven that they at least deserved a bigger opportunity than they got in Dallas. Yes.

What I am trying to say is...because of the culture in Dallas....certain people have been afforded the run of this place. Romo will decide when Romo is finished. No...that does not mean that he will play another 10 years....but he will not be benched by this outfit anytime soon. Just like Wittens snaps have not been reduced. Just like Garrett is not on the hot seat this year like so many people think he is. I would bet this front office is waiting for the glass slipper to fall off from Dak. Heck...you want more proof that they don't really want anybody here to threaten Romo? They were prepared to roll with Kellen Moore this year as the backup. Dak has looked better than Kellen Moore will ever look. And ironically, if Moore does not get hurt....we would have never seen Dak.

Might be too much for some of you all to swallow. But all I am saying is.....pay attention.

Or could it be that Romo (gasp)...... is simply still better than Dak?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Or could it be that Romo (gasp)...... is simply still better than Dak?
He absolutely is. And Witten is better than any other TE we have brought in. But NO ONE.....NO ONE...can play forever. Favre was also better when they turned the job over to Rodgers.

The on field results with this core have not yielded one Super Bowl run....but we are the ONLY team in the NFL...that does not look at W/Ls as the ultimate deciding factor! Why? Because we do not have to! Win or lose...we make more money than anybody else. So being "comfortable" plays a BIG role in how this organization is run. Guys that made this organization "uncomfortable".....are shown the door. Should some of them been shown the door? Yes. But teams that win are always dotted with guys that make people "uncomfortable".

Heck...do you really think Jerry wants another GM to come in and IMMEDIALTY make a Super Bowl run? A sane individual would respond "YES"! But I would argue if you believe that...you have not been paying attention.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
People don't understand what Romo knows and how he reads defenses. This is something that takes a long time to develop. Maybe someday Dak will be able to do this also. But he isn't at this point yet.

Last night you saw Seattle start to dictate where Dak was throwing the ball. They started to send the blitz on third downs so Dak would make the easy blitz read and throw the ball to a player that was then tackled short of the first down marker. Sure this was the hot read and not a bad decision. But a QB with Romos experience would see the man coming over the top who was covering the player the blitzing defender left. He has the ability to not jump on the quick read and still push the ball downfield to a guy who was beyond the sticks.

Of course Seattle is exceptional at defense and all teams couldn't do this as effectively as they did.
But it takes time for a QB to learn when these blitzes are coming and which read they need to make. Until then the defense can dictate where we go and you end up throwing 25 passes and only getting 100 yards.

Here's the problem and where one starts to get weary. Fair or unfair, it's been a decade and two playoff wins. Let me be clear, I'm a LIFELONG Cowboys fan/Romo Supporter/Fan/even apologist. I think Romo gets a bad rap and he was one "non catch" away from putting us in the NFC Championship game two years ago. The problem is, it's always something and I hate the fact that our detractors have a leg to stand on. A fumble, a back, an injury, a snap. It's ALWAYS SOMETHING. I would love nothing more than for Romo to win a SB and there's no doubt he should be the guy. I actually I hate the fact that there's something gnawing at me for Dak. Not for him to start week 1 necessarily but that says "he's got something special and it's closer than you think." I've NEVER had this feeling since Romo took over for Drew that fateful Monday Night.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Because anyone with common sense and or football sense knows that Romo staying healthy is the best thing for this team. If YOU can't see that then you don't understand football

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Losing Romo would be a disaster. I am not sold on DAK making the plays when the season starts and teams game plan and throw the kitchen sink at him. He is still a rookie, and has a lot to learn. Would be better to sit behind Romo and ease him in slowly.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Here's the problem and where one starts to get weary. Fair or unfair, it's been a decade and two playoff wins. Let me be clear, I'm a LIFELONG Cowboys fan/Romo Supporter/Fan/even apologist. I think Romo gets a bad rap and he was one "non catch" away from putting us in the NFC Championship game two years ago. The problem is, it's always something and I hate the fact that our detractors have a leg to stand on. A fumble, a back, an injury, a snap. It's ALWAYS SOMETHING. I would love nothing more than for Romo to win a SB and there's no doubt he should be the guy. I actually I hate the fact that there's something gnawing at me for Dak. Not for him to start week 1 necessarily but that says "he's got something special and it's closer than you think." I've NEVER had this feeling since Romo took over for Drew that fateful Monday Night.
There was a time when Romo was special. So I won't go that far. But part of what made him special was his mobility...and most of it is all gone. It will be interesting to see how well he is throwing the ball over 16 games...because this offense requires a QB to have a fairly decent arm...and Romo has never had a cannon. So with upper body injuries, lower back injuries...age..etc...how will he be throwing the ball if we are lucky to play into January?

But like I said in another post...I am not SURE Dak is special...but because of the environment in Dallas....we aren't going to find out anytime soon...unless Romo is hurt. And I do not wish injury on anybody.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The only point in any of your post is to defend Tony to death. It's cool you like him. We all have favorites. But you take it to the point of ridiculous, so much many on here laugh their butts off over how you defend him.

My point was, and BTW you missed it, was based on Tony's playoff success, or lack thereof, getting Dak started earlier could be a good thing for us long term.

The fact that you attribute Romo's play to the lack of playoff success should be enough to revoke your privilege to create threads.

Gameover

Reaction score
I would call it a blessing! We would become instant contenders!