Would our D have given up 50 last night

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Good question. We didn't break against the Falcons who were averaging just over 30 at home and held them to 19. I do know this, if we played in that game and gave up 50 the old lament of "defenses win SB's" would be todays story. Funny, I haven't heard that lament all year. Apparently offenses win SB's, who knew lol. The Saints game should show us how we'll hang in against a top offense. Haven't really faced one of those yet
Man,is that 2" of snow on top of that wheat crop that Bad-A** John Deere Is picking up & laying down in it's rumbling mechanization?( in yer' AVATAR)

* Bro! ,,,I was about 27 y.o. and this Midwestern bib-overall sportin' farmer I was picking up work from landed a fairly decent bidded contract with some subsidiary of PEABODY COAL CO. in providing wheat straw per tonnage in their land reclamation efforts,,, well ,this OVERALL CLAD CAT sickle-barred every pre-harvest wheat fields he had standing,,, and,,, we bailed it,,, MAN ALIVE ! those ****in' straw bales coming outta' that bailers chute was in excess of 200 lbs (
on average),,, SHEESE! ,,, I could HEAR THE WHEAT GRAINS hitting that wagons wooden plank decking damn ner' akin' to hailstones on a tin roofo_O
( yeppers & yessir:lmao:)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't think so because neither offense would play the Cowboys like they played each other. They came in thinking the winner would have to put up a 40 burger, with the Cowboys offense they could take more time and put up 30 and be pretty assured of a win.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Barring turnovers by the offense, it's unlikely the Rams or the Chiefs would hang 50 on the Dallas defense. First, the Cowboys play better defense than we saw last night. Second, it's unlikely the style of game would allow it. Dallas controls the ball and generally forces opposing offenses to mount long scoring drives, if they are to score. But previous posters are correct; the theory will be tested well by the Saints.

On another note, I hate to see a game like last night's labeled by media sycophants and enablers as a classic. It was a classic if you enjoy offense. It was a classic pinball game, I suppose. But when we've reached the point that two Super Bowl favorites each field defenses that can be lit up so easily, it's clear the game is tilted awfully far toward producing more points. At least some hardcore fans surely miss the days when defenses could exert themselves as well.

I think there is an argument that the style of offense the Cowboys play no longer works in the NFL in large part because it faces too much headwind from the rule book and rules interpretation. In the 90s, the Cowboys could impose their will in the fourth quarter and pound teams to submission. Today a team can move 60 yards in less than a minute, sometimes even without the benefit of a timeout. A team can dominate the fourth quarter and still get beaten by a couple of quick strikes or a penalty or two. I think Garrett's philosophies are sound for football as most of us have known it. They might not be sound for today.

It's all, let 'er fly, and Heaven forbid a defensive back be physical.

kskboys

Reaction score
Suppose we were playing either the Rams or Chiefs last night, would this D have given up 50 plus?
Absolutely not. We have a ball control O, and the Chiefs have no D. Rams would've been a little tougher, w/ a slightly lesser O and a semblance of a D.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
The Falcons defense is worse than both the Rams and the Chiefs. And we scored 22.

The Saints are supposedly the best team of all time and Drew Brees had to score with a minute left in the 4th quarter to go to OT vs the Falcons. A game in which they won with 2 minutes left in OT. I ain't afraid of no one.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Man,is that 2" of snow on top of that wheat crop that Bad-A** John Deere Is picking up & laying down in it's rumbling mechanization?( in yer' AVATAR)

* Bro! ,,,I was about 27 y.o. and this Midwestern bib-overall sportin' farmer I was picking up work from landed a fairly decent bidded contract with some subsidiary of PEABODY COAL CO. in providing wheat straw per tonnage in their land reclamation efforts,,, well ,this OVERALL CLAD CAT sickle-barred every pre-harvest wheat fields he had standing,,, and,,, we bailed it,,, MAN ALIVE ! those ****in' straw bales coming outta' that bailers chute was in excess of 200 lbs (
on average),,, SHEESE! ,,, I could HEAR THE WHEAT GRAINS hitting that wagons wooden plank decking damn ner' akin' to hailstones on a tin roofo_O
( yeppers & yessir:lmao:)

Man, we may live up north but we don't have snow in August so the wheat harvest was long done before we had 2 inches of snow! Soybeans too!! That just leaves about 250 acres of corn still out and snow doesn't affect corn harvest. Sickling wheat straw? Yeah, the Deere's pretty much chop it up and spread it nice and even, then we no-till soys into it in the spring. Conserves fuel and labor.

Enuff farm chat, how 'bout dem cowboys!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No because we would have run the ball more. Limiting good offenses to few possessions is our key to winning. Even if the saints score on every drive they will have fewer drives (chances to score) than this rams/chiefs game. We keep the score low, then try to get the ball last.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
If our defensive roster was fully healthy and we played either team right now I would like our chances at holding them under 30. What I doubt though is we could keep pace on offense with dink and dunk stuff.

Even if the Rams decided to play our own game of ball control offense with Gurley I like our LBs too much to think he could out pace Zeke. This of course assumes that Sua-Filo is our LG, and we get 2 minute drive Dak for full 60 minute game too.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
most likely yes. not because our D isn't good but O is so inept at times that 3 & outs would have given them more possessions. We fall behind & resort to throwing which makes our 3 & outs even quicker. End result, D gasping for air.

Plus, they do so much movement in those schemes that the 2nd & 3rd levels of your D have to run more than they are used to.

Argument against would be that they were so far ahead they back off their aggressiveness.

IceBowler

Reaction score
If they sit in a zone - they're toast.
Have got to play man and get after the QB.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think the bigger question is could we have put up 30 -40 on them?

We’re fixing to find out against the Saints if our defense can stifle one of these high powered passing offenses.

My bigger concern is can we keep up with them scoring.

I don't think we will have to score 30 to win, but 20 probably won't get it done either.