Would Pederson give us a better chance at the SB instead of Garrett?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is another theory that makes me laugh...but only because it stems from people wanting it to be true because then it would me the Eagles only good coach left town.

And don’t get me wrong...Reich is a good coach (and it’s Indy, not Buff...Buffalo is where he played). But to just sit there and say most of the success can be attributed to Reich is just a bunch of, well, you know. First of all, how would one measure what Reich did? Doug called the plays. Doug made the game day decisions. Reich, and the rest of the coaches had input, sure. But spare me with the ‘he was the reason’ stuff...

I didn’t say “most of his success can be attributed to Reich.” I think you guys won a Superbowl with a good coach and a great roster. And some luck along the way in the postseason that year.

I would take Reich over Peterson as a HC, though.

Sydla

Reaction score
It seems bizarre to you because you’re in that group with the inferiority complex about the Eagles I mentioned.

Maybe go back and check the injury history for Garrett’s 13-3 2016 season. It may surprise you.

He was a 4th and Goal from the 2 from elimination in that Superbowl season. He did a great job that year, but let’s not pretend that coaching is the only element that comes into play with teams advancing in the postseason. It’s not diminishing him at all to compare him to a coach whose won more games overall against largely the same opponents the entire time Pederson has been in the league. Especially given how good that Eagles roster has actually been during that time. Garrett has generally outperformed him, head to head and overall. His teams haven’t had the same playoff success, but that doesn’t automatically mean the difference was coaching. The Falcons not calling a shovel pass on 2nd and goal and instead throwing the ball to Julio one more time might have been all the difference in that Superbowl run you’re hanging your entire evaluation off of.

Inferiority complex? About what?

Facts are facts. The Eagles have been a better franchise than us for two decades. They won a SB two years ago. Those are just simple facts. I am not too much of a homer to not admit reality.

One is a SB winning coach. One hasn’t even made a NFCCG in 8 seasons.

Dude.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Facts are facts. The Eagles have been a better franchise than us for two decades. They won a SB two years ago. Those are just simple facts. I am not too much of a homer to not admit reality.

Dude.

I’m not disputing your facts, since they’re obvious. I dispute you crediting the additional 2017 playoff success to HC differential, because there is enough other evidence over the last three years to suggest otherwise. Including overall wins v similar opponents and head to head matchups.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m not disputing your facts, since they’re obvious. I dispute you crediting the additional 2017 playoff success to HC differential, because there is enough other evidence over the last three years to suggest otherwise. Including overall wins v similar opponents and head to head matchups.

There really isn’t enough evidence to support your point when one of the day’s points is one WON A SUPER BOWL. Also one was a new head coach over that three year period and one was an experienced HC.

It’s not surprising that reality doesn’t enter your calculus here either.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There really isn’t enough evidence to support your point when one of the day’s points is one WON A SUPER BOWL. Also one was a new head coach over that three year period and one was an experienced HC.

It’s not surprising that reality doesn’t enter your calculus here either.

I’m out of ways to point out that you’re overweighting the Superbowl run as the sole differentiator between the two coaches. I understand that you need that to be the sole differentiator for your argument to stand up, despite the other evidence to the contrary over the course of the last three seasons.

Tenure didn’t enter into my calculus, because its irrelevant to OP’s question. He’s asking about the coaches’ relative abilities today.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m out of ways to point out that you’re overweighting the Superbowl run as the sole differentiator between the two coaches. I understand that you need that to be the sole differentiator for your argument to stand up, despite the other evidence to the contrary over the course of the last three seasons.

Tenure didn’t enter into my calculus, because its irrelevant to OP’s question. He’s asking about the coaches’ relative abilities today.

How can anyone overweight a coach winning a SB?

It’s the greatest achievement a coach can earn. And if you want to look at a three year window, any SB win would be significantly more important than spitting out a 13 win season where you then get bounced from the playoffs early.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can anyone overweight a coach winning a SB?

It’s the greatest achievement a coach can earn. And if you want to look at a three year window, any SB win would be significantly more important than spitting out a 13 win season where you then get bounced from the playoffs early.

Organizations win Superbowls. Mostly the players. Coaching is a part of it, but it’s not all of it. Quick, who you got: Andy Reid or Barry Switzer? Jim Harbaugh or Doug Pederson?

Blake

Reaction score

Dude.

Idgit. Another example of how deluded some cowboys fans can be because of the team's success over two decades ago that most everyone in the modern era has already forgotten about. Proof also that the game has passed him by much like it has for his bae Garret.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRJyadp6hsTQvhSioOUElBbIJIF7Xo2u4IW1g8fS8Fr9UQRwGyK

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit. Another example of how deluded some cowboys fans can be because of the team's success over two decades ago that most everyone in the modern era has already forgotten about. Proof also that the game has passed him by much like it has for his bae Garret.

You can always try to tackle the actual argument when you’re done with the clever digs. In this case, it’s based on games won overall and games won head to head. Quick: show me where I’m deluded.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I hate everything about the iggles so why would I think the Cowboys would be better with the iggles HC?

ghst187

Reaction score
What did Peterson do last year with a Super Bowl team? He was doomed last year once people caught on to his gimmicks on offense.

But he did get one SB first.....JG hasn’t even made it to the Conf champ game

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Which is exactly what Garrett did in 2016. With a rookie, 4th round QB.

Without a doubt his best season. ONLY good season actually. But we know now how good of a QB Dak is. Still, he made the decision to stick with DAk.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Organizations win Superbowls. Mostly the players. Coaching is a part of it, but it’s not all of it. Quick, who you got: Andy Reid or Barry Switzer? Jim Harbaugh or Doug Pederson?

LOL......yes and poor Garrett has been a victim here in Dallas as you said. He would be winning SB's at other places but for the lack of talent here.