Would the Patriots have given Dak the deal he wants?

75boyz

Reaction score
So even though “it’s a TEAM game” and “TEAMS with SBs not QBs” and even though the QB with the most SB wins in history “wasn’t responsible for those victories it was the TEAM” and he didnt deserve to be paid like an elite QB but we should pay our average QB (who has never even won back to back playoff games let alone a SB) like an elite QB because our only chance is that he will suddenly win a SB for us ?

yeah makes total sense

just quit while you’re behind

Love it. All timer. A Classic. lol. :)

kskboys

Reaction score
I did look it up discuss it and prove it. He was never going to get Manning money. His 2010 deal was not leaving money on the table and his 2005 deal was early enough that he did not have the resume to demand top dollar.
Yes, his 10 contract was briefly the largest in the NFL. However, the statement was that he didn't start taking less until he married Gisele. His 06 contract was for less than top dollar. He started dating Gisele in DEC 06.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

They wouldn't have.

Brady always played on a team friendly deal and he's won 17 Superbowls.

Oh, and yes, I'm aware we are not the Patriots and not anything close to them.

Maybe this is the step towards the Patriot way. Still have a long ways to go, but at least it's a step.
That’s not true.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/tom-bradys-patriots-contracts-through-years#slide-6

Deal: 4-year, $72M extension
Signing Bonus: $48.5M guaranteed

It took a car accident to push this deal over the finish line. With uncertainty because of a looming uncapped year in 2011, the Patriots and Brady worked hard to get a deal done prior to the start of the 2010 regular season when Brady would enter his walk year. A Thursday morning car accident caused Robert Kraft to consider the fragility of things and decide to get the deal done. The four years and $72M were for the 2011 through 2014 seasons and it had a record amount of guaranteed money and was the biggest contract in NFL history (briefly). The deal was announced at halftime of the Thursday night season opener on NBC by Peter King. After the deal was complete, Kraft said, "You’re never sure (when the deal will get finished) because it’s hard. You’ve got two sides. You’ve got agents, but everyone’s trying to help, but it gets complicated, but now, please God, he’ll be the quarterback here for 15 years. which is unusual." The day after Brady signed the deal, Bill Belichick said at his morning press conference, “There is no quarterback I’d rather have than Tom Brady.”

J12B

Reaction score
That’s not true.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/tom-bradys-patriots-contracts-through-years#slide-6

Deal: 4-year, $72M extension
Signing Bonus: $48.5M guaranteed

It took a car accident to push this deal over the finish line. With uncertainty because of a looming uncapped year in 2011, the Patriots and Brady worked hard to get a deal done prior to the start of the 2010 regular season when Brady would enter his walk year. A Thursday morning car accident caused Robert Kraft to consider the fragility of things and decide to get the deal done. The four years and $72M were for the 2011 through 2014 seasons and it had a record amount of guaranteed money and was the biggest contract in NFL history (briefly). The deal was announced at halftime of the Thursday night season opener on NBC by Peter King. After the deal was complete, Kraft said, "You’re never sure (when the deal will get finished) because it’s hard. You’ve got two sides. You’ve got agents, but everyone’s trying to help, but it gets complicated, but now, please God, he’ll be the quarterback here for 15 years. which is unusual." The day after Brady signed the deal, Bill Belichick said at his morning press conference, “There is no quarterback I’d rather have than Tom Brady.”

I've already been over this about 4 times.

This was after he had 3 Superbowl win, 2 Superbowl MVPs, a season with 50 TD passes with a 117 rating, and I'm sure a couple of other major accomplishments I'm missing.

Dak has had 2 good seasons in the league and nothing else.

See the difference?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So, after 9 seasons in the league, 3 Superbowls, 2 SB MVPs and a 50 TD season and Brady finally wanted to get paid.

If you call that greedy, tell me what that makes Dak

Didn't call it greedy, just not team-friendly, which was the premise of this thread. Everyone wants to get paid what they believe they are worth eventually.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This was after he had 3 Superbowl win, 2 Superbowl MVPs, a season with 50 TD passes with a 117 rating, and I'm sure a couple of other major accomplishments I'm missing.

See the difference?
The comment was that Brady ALWAYS played on a team friendly deal. That’s a separate issue from whether he deserved what he got paid. Clearly he earned the money.

75boyz

Reaction score

See the difference?

It is so weird. You could even lump other all time greats into your very valid point as well as maybe a couple of perceived 2nd tier guys.
I mean of course you start with Brady and his skins on the wall. Brees has more than his share of passing titles and a ring. Rodgers as well with multiple Mvps and a ring. Can you include Big Ben's lengthy playoff run that was recently cut short as a part of this elite group? I guess subject for discussion. Then I guess you throw in Russell Wilson based on his importance and championship pedigree, "no questioning" Mahommes of course. Only to leave subjective, due to circumstance outliers like Cam, Ryan and Folds. All of whom either won a ring, got league Mvps, super bowl MVPs or at least got their team to a Superbowl.
I do not for the life of me understand how Dak is supposed to be paid based on past performance OR perceived potential when, as the leader of his team he has accomplished nothing in comparison.
The absolute only BS market value discussion that could be remotely debatable is the Goff and Wentz argument of contracts in comparison to Dak's of which the Jones probably based their offer anyway so it's moot at this point.
That TEAM card gets pulled like an ace in the hole around here and then the market value BS without taking into account how he has accomplished absolutely nothing again in comparison to these previously mentioned peers with more offensive talent at his disposal than almost all of them. He does less with more.
You don't reward mediocrity. Period.

Yeah, but...but...but.
So far ahead.
Lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is so weird. You could even lump other all time greats into your very valid point as well as maybe a couple of perceived 2nd tier guys.
I mean of course you start with Brady and his skins on the wall. Brees has more than his share of passing titles and a ring. Rodgers as well with multiple Mvps and a ring. Can you include Big Ben's lengthy playoff run that was recently cut short as a part of this elite group? I guess subject for discussion. Then I guess you throw in Russell Wilson based on his importance and championship pedigree, "no questioning" Mahommes of course. Only to leave subjective, due to circumstance outliers like Cam, Ryan and Folds. All of whom either won a ring, got league Mvps, super bowl MVPs or at least got their team to a Superbowl.
I do not for the life of me understand how Dak is supposed to be paid based on past performance OR perceived potential when, as the leader of his team he has accomplished nothing in comparison.
The absolute only BS market value discussion that could be remotely debatable is the Goff and Wentz argument of contracts in comparison to Dak's of which the Jones probably based their offer anyway so it's moot at this point.
That TEAM card gets pulled like an ace in the hole around here and then the market value BS without taking into account how he has accomplished absolutely nothing again in comparison to these previously mentioned peers with more offensive talent at his disposal than almost all of them. He does less with more.

Yeah, but...but...but.
So far ahead.
Lol
It’s not a valid point because (A) nobody is claiming Dak is an all time great or at the same level as Brady, and (B) it’s not true that Brady always played on a team friendly contract.

J12B

Reaction score
The comment was that Brady ALWAYS played on a team friendly deal. That’s a separate issue from whether he deserved what he got paid. Clearly he earned the money.

He played on a team friendly deal the fist 9 seaons in the league while having won 3 SBs and having other major accomplishments under his belt.

That one contract made him the highest paid player briefly.

His 2 last extensions were team friendly.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Yeah, but...but...but.
So far ahead.
Lol

How did he do less with more? His stats were one of the best in the league. Yes they finished 8-8 but the team had a poor defense and concensus worst special teams in the league. Those other qbs had better defenses. When you are referring to a team record you have to talk about all phases of the game .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played on a team friendly deal the fist 9 seaons in the league while having won 3 SBs and having other major accomplishments under his belt.

That one contract made him the highest paid player briefly.

His 2 last extensions were team friendly.
I didn’t say he never played on a team friendly deal, so this comment is irrelevant to what I said.

On the other hand, you did say he always played on a team friendly deal, and that was not true. The fact it was only the highest dollar contract briefly doesn’t mean it was “team friendly”. All contracts get eclipsed at some point, but being highest at the time it was negotiated means he did not give a discount, plus, becoming second highest wouldn’t suddenly mean “team friendly” anyway.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dallas has spent four years baby-sitting Dak. He goes 8-8 this year, 16th in red zone scoring, 22nd on the road, fails to make the play-offs and people think he’s being robbed. Do they remember pre-Cooper Dak? 6-game suspension Dak? Dak without Tyron Smith?

This man sees more man coverage, because of the running game than probably anybody in the league. And that too with this offensive line. Cooper and Zeke have basically made this man’s career.

https://sportdfw.com/2018/10/24/dallas-cowboys-zone-coverage-is-daks-kryptonite/

[URL]https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2018/12/13/dak-prescott-amari-cooper-face-challenge-with-colts-zone/
[/URL]

J12B

Reaction score
I didn’t say he never played on a team friendly deal, so this comment is irrelevant to what I said.

On the other hand, you did say he always played on a team friendly deal, and that was not true. The fact it was only the highest dollar contract briefly doesn’t mean it was “team friendly”. All contracts get eclipsed at some point, but being highest at the time it was negotiated means he did not give a discount, plus, becoming second highest wouldn’t suddenly mean “team friendly” anyway.

My bad. He played on a team friendly deal for like 15 of his 18 seasons

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My bad. He played on a team friendly deal for like 15 of his 18 seasons
All I said was your claim of “always” was inaccurate. It’s odd it took so many posts full of irrelevant comments to concede that simple point.

But now that’s settled, how do we know that after Dak gets his first monster deal that he wouldn’t agree to more team friendly deals in the future? You have the benefit of hindsight with Brady, but not with Dak, so that’s hardly a balanced argument.

75boyz

Reaction score
How did he do less with more? His stats were one of the best in the league. Yes they finished 8-8 but the team had a poor defense and concensus worst special teams in the league. Those other qbs had better defenses. When you are referring to a team record you have to talk about all phases of the game .

Most QBs don't have the starting WR duo, RB and 3 of 5 the better OL starters at their positions in the league to begin with.
His stats were compiled against garbage. opponents.
He went 7-2 and threw 22 to 3 TD to int. ratio against losing teams.
He went 1-6 against winning/playoff teams and threw 8 to 8 TD to int. ratio.

And before you pull the "TEAM" card in your response and asks me how did the rest of the team play and pass the blame around
to every part not named Dak ask yourself this one question...
IF he is a franchise QB
IF he is deserving of franchise money equalling almost 18% of the total cap( and a projected combined yearly salary exceeding both DLaws and Zeke's combined)
Shouldn't he, at the bare minimum, meet or break .500 against good teams in order to earn this pay?

The answer is no because he sucks against any team defense with a pulse.

Some other guy in here with a cognac title likes to spew fantasy football stats too but there never seems to be any rebuttal to how poor he plays against good teams.

I think, I mean I could be wrong. The Joneses want to start winning more playoff games and Dak just ain't the answer in order to accomplish that.
I guess you could argue winning playoff games never mattered much to 'em before but hopefully times are changing.
It backfired on me. Hope ain't no strategy. Lol. Fingers crossed anyway and without Dak.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most QBs don't have the starting WR duo, RB and 3 of 5 the better OL starters at their positions in the league to begin with.
His stats were compiled against garbage. opponents.
He went 7-2 and threw 22 to 3 TD to int. ratio.
He went 1-6 against winning/playoff teams and threw 8 to 8 TD to int. ratio.

And before you pull the "TEAM" card in your response and asks me how did the rest of the team play and pass the blame around
to every part not named Dan as yourself this one question...
IF he is a franchise QB
IF he is deserving of franchise money equalling almost 18% of the total cap( and a projected combined yearly salary exceeding both DLaws and Zeke's combined)
Shouldn't he, at the bare minimum, meet or break .500 against good teams in order to earn this pay?

The answer is no because he sucks against any team defense with a pulse.
This notion that his stats were only built against bad opponents is nonsense. Sure there were some, but that doesn’t explain away numbers that big. Plus, it’s not as if other QBs doesn’t also play some bad opponents and get credit for the stats.

Praxit

Reaction score
..hahaha.. no way. NE doesn't work that way. You need a resume and some to prove your worth. Brady was once a generation QB. Dak is about good numbers being stacked up. The monkey is on his back, same with Romo.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
The Patriots probably would have signed Dak to that big contract, but they would have cheated.

75boyz

Reaction score
This notion that his stats were only built against bad opponents is nonsense. Sure there were some, but that doesn’t explain away numbers that big. Plus, it’s not as if other QBs doesn’t also play some bad opponents and get credit for the stats.

Sure. Numbers or opinions can be manipulated to meet a narrative. Im usually not the biggest stats advocate all the time but those numbers are quite telling in my eyes.

Go Cowboys