Would you be disappointed if we drafted Felix Jones at 22?

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031339 said:
I like Charles. You know that. I really like Slaton because he represents a 4th Rd pick, or so, and I believe he can provide what is needed to supplement Barber. However, Charles, IMO, is also a very good compliment. He will just be more expensive.
I'm all for a Texas draft this year. I would take three UT players if we could do it. Sweed, Charles, and Okam should find there way onto our team. Don't think that we can get Sweed though.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Very disappointed. With a RB rich draft why we take one in the 1st doesn't make sense. I could deal with it maybe at #28 because if his KR/PR ability but at #22 that makes no sense at all, especially when there are 2-3 guys just like him with the same ability.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
ddh33;2031280 said:
The team has a need at that position. Felix Jones looks like a great fit. He also has value in the area Dallas will be picking in. What's the problem?

There's a truth and false to this statement. I don't think that the majority who were against it would all of a sudden be for it, but I DO think that Jones would have the full support of Cowboys' fans if, indeed, he was our pick.

Until he proves he's better/worse than the last Jones then I think he'll have pretty reasonable support. There will always be detrators. I remember not too long ago people screaming we should have drafted Merriman over Ware. They've been a quiet bunch lately. The true Cowboys' fans want ALL Cowboys players to succeed regardless of whether or not they were their draft day pet cat.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2031346 said:
Very disappointed. With a RB rich draft why we take one in the 1st doesn't make sense. I could deal with it maybe at #28 because if his KR/PR ability but at #22 that makes no sense at all, especially when there are 2-3 guys just like him with the same ability.

The other point that I think is valid is that most of the other Backs who are right there with him were primary threats. They had to face the starters and they were keyed on. Jones was not. He was the change of pace back, if you will. Teams did not game plan to stop Jones. They focused on DMac and that is a big differentiator, IMO. That doesn't mean that he will not be a very good player. I think he has a good chance to be that in the right system but not for a #1.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031359 said:
The other point that I think is valid is that most of the other Backs who are right there with him were primary threats. They had to face the starters and they were keyed on. Jones was not. He was the change of pace back, if you will. Teams did not game plan to stop Jones. They focused on DMac and that is a big differentiator, IMO. That doesn't mean that he will not be a very good player. I think he has a good chance to be that in the right system but not for a #1.
Wow, great point, I hadn't thought about that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2031344 said:
I'm all for a Texas draft this year. I would take three UT players if we could do it. Sweed, Charles, and Okam should find there way onto our team. Don't think that we can get Sweed though.

I would be pretty disappointed with this. That would likely mean that we spent a 1st and a 2nd on Sweed and Charles. I see both of them off the board by the 2nd round. I would not at all be please with that. 2nd and 3rd would be OK but not a 1st round pick for either of them. Okam, well, he's very high risk player. If you can get him to play up to his potential, then you definatly have a chance to land a great player. However, that's a big risk. If we could get him late, maybe 4th or 5th round, then that might be OK with me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2031357 said:
Yes because we need a cb more than any other position even if we do get Adam.

I agree. I think there are maybe 5 CB who have 1st rd grades.
Cromartie, McKelvin, Jenkins, Cason and Talib. However should there be an early run on CB and I have a choice between Felix Jones and Talib chances are I go Jones. I want a CB but I don't want to reach for any position. Take the BPA that fits a need.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031363 said:
I would be pretty disappointed with this. That would likely mean that we spent a 1st and a 2nd on Sweed and Charles. I see both of them off the board by the 2nd round. I would not at all be please with that. 2nd and 3rd would be OK but not a 1st round pick for either of them. Okam, well, he's very high risk player. If you can get him to play up to his potential, then you definatly have a chance to land a great player. However, that's a big risk. If we could get him late, maybe 4th or 5th round, then that might be OK with me.
I think that we should try and move more towards the middle of the second round in order to get Charles. If we cannot get a trade done for RW then we should trade down with our 28 and pick up Charles.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2031367 said:
Take the BPA that fits a need.
I agree, but that's my problem with the 22nd overall pick in general. First, I think the better corners will be gone, and those that are left may be a reach here. Second, no receiver is worth the 22nd overall pick. And third, there's such a slew of good running backs in this draft that Jones will likely still be there at #28.

Kind of a sucky draft slot to have for the Cowboys if you ask me...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Dodger;2031380 said:
I agree, but that's my problem with the 22nd overall pick in general. First, I think the better corners will be gone, and those that are left may be a reach here. Second, no receiver is worth the 22nd overall pick. And third, there's such a slew of good running backs in this draft that Jones will likely still be there at #28.

Dallas then could trade out of the 22nd if things fall that way and they feel Jones would still be there at 28.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Dodger;2031380 said:

I think the strength of this draft is in the 2nd round. To tell the truth, I would love to see us trade down with both of our 1st round picks and aquire one of the Vet WRs everybody is talking about. However, I believe that t good player will be there a 22. The problem is that nobody is willing to consider anything other then WR, RB and CB in the 1st round. There are several very good players that could be there, that fit a need but don't play one of those three positions.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031386 said:
There are several very good players that could be there, that fit a need but don't play one of those three positions.
I'm sure there would be at least a couple of worthy prospects at #22 if you looked at positions other than WR, CB and RB. Do you have anyone in mind?

coach316

Reaction score
I voted yes, because I think we can find a back to compliment Marion Barber in rounds 2-4...like we did with Barber himself. If we were looking to find a feature back then no I wouldn't, but that's not the case.

We have greater needs at CB and WR....backup running back or change of pace running back can be had and at a better price in the middle rounds.

rlgiv

Reaction score
IF he comes in and helps this team improve I really don't care where they are drafted. The diffrence between 22 and 28 is nothing in the big scheme of things here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Dodger;2031389 said:
I'm sure there would be at least a couple of worthy prospects at #22 if you looked at positions other than WR, CB and RB. Do you have anyone in mind?

Yep.

Albert
Otah
Groves
Mayo
Chris Williams maybe.

Maybe Balmer or Merling. Either would look very good at DE but each have Character issues so that would have to be evaluated. Maybe you take them off the board, I don't know, but both have 1st round talent and production to back it up.

Woods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031397 said:
Yep.

Albert
Otah
Groves
Mayo
Chris Williams maybe.

Maybe Balmer or Merling. Either would look very good at DE but each have Character issues so that would have to be evaluated. Maybe you take them off the board, I don't know, but both have 1st round talent and production to back it up.

Of your list, I'd strongly consider Albert and C Williams at 22 if no comparable CBs or RBs were on the Board (assuming we don't trade down).

I'm just not sold on Otah, though he will probably be taken fairly high. As for Mayo, I don't think I'd take him at 22, though I would have to consider him at 28.

Reaction score
I'd be pissed...:mad: He's not what Dallas needs at 22, I'm tired of all these so called mock drafts stating Dallas will take him at either 22 or 28.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031397 said:
Yep.

Albert
Otah
Groves
Mayo
Chris Williams maybe.

Out of that list Albert I think will be long gone. Some say he has moved into the top 10. Groves is very intriguing, a future of Ware, Spencer and Groves would be downright scary. Too early for Mayo, 28th maybe. I think we are set at the tackles positions.