Would you be disappointed if we drafted Felix Jones at 22?

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031397 said:
Yep.

Albert
Otah
Groves
Mayo
Chris Williams maybe.

Maybe Balmer or Merling. Either would look very good at DE but each have Character issues so that would have to be evaluated. Maybe you take them off the board, I don't know, but both have 1st round talent and production to back it up.
I wouldn't mind a DE at #22...I wouldn't be all that excited about it, but if there's better value at DE than our three need positions, that'd be okay...

Kinda...

We take another LB, though, and people will be throwing their guacamole into their TV sets...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Another Felix thread, and another brick thrown from me. If we don't draft Felix, he is going to the second round. That's pathetic but true.

Honestly, I hate our drafts spots right now. I wouldn't mind, matter of fact......I hope we trade out of both of them, down, up, doesn't matter to me. Heck, trade one of them for next year, anything. Every player it seems we can get in our spots are either injuried, second round talents, or nutcases.

I need a drink.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Eskimo;2031296 said:
I don't think he is an everydown back in this league as he is not a tough enough inside runner.

First round picks have to yield productive starters for us to manage our cap problems. We cannot be using them on part-time or complimentary players. That is what late round picks, UDFAs or FA vets are for.

We should only be spending a first rounder on a RB if that is our RB of the future and we are letting MB3 walk next year (or alternatively, trading him this year - hopefully for a mid-first rounder).
I agree. If we hold on to both of our first rounders would rather see a cb( to replace Henry eventually) and wr (nuff said on that)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Dodger;2031415 said:
I wouldn't mind a DE at #22...I wouldn't be all that excited about it, but if there's better value at DE than our three need positions, that'd be okay...

Kinda...

We take another LB, though, and people will be throwing their guacamole into their TV sets...

The way I see this, we need to have one other guy who can create pressure on the field at all times. We have Ware, we have Ellis (and Spencer will replace him when the time comes) but nobody else is stepping up. If we had a DE who could create pressure, (and in Phillips' 34, they can unlike other 34 schemes) that makes us almost impossible to stop. Most don't see this as a need, but I see it as the next logical step in our defensive evolution towards greatness.

Mayo can play ILB. To me, that's a big need. We have guys at LB now but honestly, in another years time, I see all that changing. Carp is do or die, IMO, this year. Heck, he could get moved. He needs to show up and right now, his position is OLB. Who is he going to beat out at that spot? Barnett has been here his aloted time. He's not producing so he has to go before his Vet salary starts escalating IMO. Ayodele is just a guy. He isn't a difference maker and his production is just not good enough. James is getting better but he's always going to be a two down LB. He might due if you pair him with a great ILB but you can't rely on him to be that great ILB IMO. It may not be a guy a lot of fans like but Mayo is a 6-1 240-245 lbs LB who runs a 4.5 and Hits with force. This guy registered 140 tackles in 07. He's an underclassman so he will get bigger and stronger. His agilities are off the charts.

40: 4.54 His low was a 4.49
20: 2.58
10: 1.50
Bench: 22
Vert: (at his Pro Day) 40 1/2. I mean, what do you say about that?
Shuttle: 4.29
Broad: 9'06"
3-Cone: 7.31

Here are Patrick Willis' numbers from 07, also 6-1 242 lbs.:

40: 4.51
20: 2.54
10: 1.52
Bench: 22
Vert: 39
Broad: 9'11"
Shuttle 4.37
3-Cone: 7.10

He may be a better OLB then ILB. He is extremly intelligent, football wise. He calls plays, he studies film constintly. He is almost fanatical about it, according to reports. In HS, in his Sr. year, he recorded 110 tackles and rushed for 1245 yards and 13 TDs. This is the cover LB that we have been looking for. This is what we hoped we would get with Burnett. He's a 4 Down LB and he's smart. He is also a leader which means that he may be the LB we need to Mic Up for our defense. To me, we could do much worse at 22.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2031414 said:
Out of that list Albert I think will be long gone. Some say he has moved into the top 10. Groves is very intriguing, a future of Ware, Spencer and Groves would be downright scary. Too early for Mayo, 28th maybe. I think we are set at the tackles positions.

I believe that he will be also but, if he slides because he is being considered a Guard, then I would take him quick. Take a look at the post I just made. You may want to re-think Mayo. The Tackles, Otah is raw but he probably has the best natural skills of any of the Tackles. He is a guy that I think you could take and keep for a year or two on the sideline. When Adams contract gets stupid, he would step in and be dominating at LT. That's why he's on the list. Same with the other tackle Williams.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Woods;2031407 said:
Of your list, I'd strongly consider Albert and C Williams at 22 if no comparable CBs or RBs were on the Board (assuming we don't trade down).

I'm just not sold on Otah, though he will probably be taken fairly high. As for Mayo, I don't think I'd take him at 22, though I would have to consider him at 28.

Hey Woods, kinda working backwords here. Read my previous two and they kind explain why I would consider the two you mention at 22.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031480 said:
I believe that he will be also but, if he slides because he is being considered a Guard, then I would take him quick. Take a look at the post I just made. You may want to re-think Mayo. The Tackles, Otah is raw but he probably has the best natural skills of any of the Tackles. He is a guy that I think you could take and keep for a year or two on the sideline. When Adams contract gets stupid, he would step in and be dominating at LT. That's why he's on the list. Same with the other tackle Williams.
Ohh don't get me wrong. I love Mayo. I actually did a mock about 2 months ago with him in it when really noone was talkin about him. I am a Georgia Bulldog but I study SEC players and this kid is the real deal. I just think he will be there at #28 and #22 may be a lil too soon for him but I love your write up about him. I wouldn't be mad if we took him there. As far as the Tackles go I think we have to see what we have in the young guys before we flood the position. I think Houck will work his majic on Free and Marteen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2031496 said:
Ohh don't get me wrong. I love Mayo. I actually did a mock about 2 months ago with him in it when really noone was talkin about him. I am a Georgia Bulldog but I study SEC players and this kid is the real deal. I just think he will be there at #28 and #22 may be a lil too soon for him but I love your write up about him. I wouldn't be mad if we took him there. As far as the Tackles go I think we have to see what we have in the young guys before we flood the position. I think Houck will work his majic on Free and Marteen.

I really like Mayo. When you can play in the SEC, you can play anywhere IMO. I would probably go the other way, if it were me. There are several CBs I really like in this draft. I think there will be talent later. ILB, not so much. If we do trade for Jones, then I would probably spend a 2nd on a guy like Talib, Cason or maybe try to pick up King or Proctor in the 3rd. I would consider Ikegwuonu in the 5th, if we don't trade for PacMan. I would seriously look at Scandrick and Molden in the 6th or so as Special Teams guys and future Prospects. Scandrick at a CB. I think that both of those guys could be ideal as developmental players.

On the Tackles, well, I might try to work out a deal with Miami for some of our OLs. They need OLs bad and BP would rather take guys he knows then draft players he doesn't, if he thinks they can play. That's kinda in the back of my mind.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2031286 said:
That's fine. But I can't see any possible scenario where I'd be happy with taking him at 22. If you can, then you voted appropriately.

if he's the highest rated player on their draft board when they come up at 22, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking him...and with Stewarts injury concern, it might not be that far fetched that Jones goes before him anyway

and I really think they wouldnt take him at 22 unless he is far and away more value for them than anyone else...if its close you could see them look at another position and take a RB later

David

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2031546 said:
I really like Mayo. When you can play in the SEC, you can play anywhere IMO. I would probably go the other way, if it were me. There are several CBs I really like in this draft. I think there will be talent later. ILB, not so much. If we do trade for Jones, then I would probably spend a 2nd on a guy like Talib, Cason or maybe try to pick up King or Proctor in the 3rd. I would consider Ikegwuonu in the 5th, if we don't trade for PacMan. I would seriously look at Scandrick and Molden in the 6th or so as Special Teams guys and future Prospects. Scandrick at a CB. I think that both of those guys could be ideal as developmental players.

On the Tackles, well, I might try to work out a deal with Miami for some of our OLs. They need OLs bad and BP would rather take guys he knows then draft players he doesn't, if he thinks they can play. That's kinda in the back of my mind.
You can never have to many OL guys. I would take at least two every year.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Disappointed? No. I do think he will turn out to be a game breaker.

Felix or Ray Rice would be a positive thing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967;2031547 said:
if he's the highest rated player on their draft board when they come up at 22, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking him...and with Stewarts injury concern, it might not be that far fetched that Jones goes before him anyway

and I really think they wouldnt take him at 22 unless he is far and away more value for them than anyone else...if its close you could see them look at another position and take a RB later

David
That's the point of the poll. I would have a problem if he's in the top 22 players on the Cowboys' draft board.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
theogt;2031267 said:
Just curious as to the general consensus here.

It would be on par with the Ginn pick last year, noway Felix should be considered at 22.

What ****** would take Felix at 22?

:bang2:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
ddh33;2031280 said:
The team has a need at that position. Felix Jones looks like a great fit. He also has value in the area Dallas will be picking in. What's the problem?

Can he cover???

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Cali'sFinest;2031580 said:
I'd be disappointed if we drafted him in ANY round. UGH.
I feel the same way. I think that he has a lot of talent but he really is the most over rated player in the draft.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2031562 said:
That's the point of the poll. I would have a problem if he's in the top 22 players on the Cowboys' draft board.

so basically because their draft board wouldnt look like yours, it'd be a disappointment? Our scouts have been doing a pretty solid job on the draft since 2002...I trust them now...the worst early picks we've made were guys Parcells insisted on getting (ie, Johnson, Rogers & Carpenter) despite reported protests from the scouts themselves

but the bottom line is if he's the best player on their board, they should take him

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2031570 said:
It would be on par with the Ginn pick last year, noway Felix should be considered at 22.

What ****** would take Felix at 22?

:bang2:

Big difference from the 9th overall pick to the 22nd overall pick, would you agree?

and Jones has been more produtive as a RB than Ginn had been as a WR anyway, against better competition

David

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
dbair1967;2031588 said:
so basically because their draft board wouldnt look like yours, it'd be a disappointment? Our scouts have been doing a pretty solid job on the draft since 2002...I trust them now...the worst early picks we've made were guys Parcells insisted on getting (ie, Johnson, Rogers & Carpenter) despite reported protests from the scouts themselves

but the bottom line is if he's the best player on their board, they should take him

David
Jeff Ireland gone worries me much.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2031590 said:
Jeff Ireland gone worries me much.

me, not so much

he wasnt doing anything except being Parcells' yes man while he was here anyway(something he is doing a fine job at again now)

and its been pointed out numerous times that there were other people just as, if not more influential within the organization on the draft anyway

David