Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This should be an interesting week. Not trying to get my Hope's up but I believe Jerry is on to something. Even if it's just for an OC.

I'll settle for even that at this point.

But I've been campaigning for Linehan's firing since 2016, that's on record.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'll settle for even that at this point.

But I've been campaigning for Linehan's firing since 2016, that's on record.

Me too. But we have to go as Jerry goes. I always thought fans should protest outside of jerrys fenced off home with signs and loud yelling!

But I'm not stupid. I know Jerry sees and hears all criticism. He is stubborn and insist on having atleast one peice of hardware that would tell the next 20 generation of fans that Jerry once won it his way.

Jerry will go to his grave before he wins it at the hands of someone that came in and put their foot down.

Fans that came up in the Landry era are hella lucky.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You're probably right, but there is and has been chatter for a long time about a potential return.

I'd truthfully like nothing better than to see Sean Payton return to Dallas as our newly-acquired HC. This, if only Jerry weren't, by all real indications, inclined to welcome JG back for yet another year.

It irks me, at least to some extent, that he's inclined to do so for the sole reason that he "feels comfortable" with him being the Cowboys' HC. Granted, there are things that JG does well but they're just not enough to warrant granting him a long-term stay, imho.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd truthfully like nothing better than to see Sean Payton return to Dallas as our newly-acquired HC.

This, if only Jerry weren't, by all real indications, inclined to welcome JG back for yet another year.

I'm not ruling anything out at this point. Plenty of time for that when the season is over for everybody.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Well for conversation purposes too, I am almost willing to drive to New Orleans and kidnap him if it comes down to that being needed. LOL

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Payton would have his choice of jobs. Why would he chose to be involved with the lunatic Jones family business?

GridironGreat

Reaction score
Imagine Payton brings in Romo in a few years??? Offense is the best in the league, Payton mentors Romo, and Romo eventually takes over??

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If and it’s a 0.1% chance it actually gets off the ground, but if it happens to me it feels like cheating.

Like we entered some code in a video game just to get to the last level.

Part of the fun of seeing your team win is to get over all the hurdles. Hiring away Sean Payton just seems like skipping all those steps.

But if you do that then it really is super bowl or bust. Also for Sean, would he want to leave NO after going down as the greatest coach in NO history, taking them through Katrina, etc.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?
Is this a trick question?????

RoboQB

Reaction score
Coaches are important to the culture, but name me a great coach who didn't have a great QB.

The QB is everthing, whether he wins one way or another.

Where would Landry be without Staubach?
Noll without Bradshaw?
Johnson without Aikman?
Walsh without Montana/Young?
Even Belichick, as great as he is, without Brady?

The OC can help the QB have success by matching the offense and play calls to the QB's skills.

Head coach? They build the culture, but unless the QB is right....I don't know

Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls with Joe Theismann, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien.