Would you be ok with picking Surtain?

Scotman

Reaction score
Yes but it's not going to make a big difference.

The biggest difference will come from scheme and being less aggressive in coverage.

I have Jaycee Horn is my #1 corner in this draft.

Surtain is too safe for me. If i'm going to take a corner this high I want a gambler with a dawg mentality.

I want the safe pick. Except when I want the one with the higher upside..the gambler. The only time I don't feel like one of those options is when I get enamoured with the idea of dropping back a few picks and getting even more picks. Of course, if I've had too much caffeine, I start thinking about trading up and grabbing world-beaters.

I really need the draft to just get here already.

Sandyf

Reaction score
It seems that since Surtain has been the constant pick according to all the Draft prognosticators, I wonder if many fans are getting disenchanted with the pick because it has become boring. As far as I can tell, Surtain is the consensus top CB in the draft so I wouldn't have a problem at all with the pick.
I think it will be between him and one of the O-Tackles should they be available.
Hard to disagree but I keep going back to what Quinn envisions for his DBs and as much as many believe that Surtain will be 1) there at 10 (not sure that Denver won't take him) or 2) that Dallas might opt for Horn or Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah who both fit better for what Quinn likes in a Cover 3. Horn and Farley (and more Farley than Horn) fit the Cover 3 extremely well compared to Surtain. As to Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah, he is a hybrid LB/S prospect much in the mode of Neal excepts he covers far better than Neal. He can be used at FS or SS or LB so he wouldn't surprise me being the pick either.

Maybe a trade down a few spots i.e. to 13 or two trade downs to 13 then 18 (something like that) and then Dallas takes Farley and trade back up for Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah, I could easily live with that and see quite an improvement to the defense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hard to disagree but I keep going back to what Quinn envisions for his DBs and as much as many believe that Surtain will be 1) there at 10 (not sure that Denver won't take him) or 2) that Dallas might opt for Horn or Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah who both fit better for what Quinn likes in a Cover 3. Horn and Farley (and more Farley than Horn) fit the Cover 3 extremely well compared to Surtain. As to Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah, he is a hybrid LB/S prospect much in the mode of Neal excepts he covers far better than Neal. He can be used at FS or SS or LB so he wouldn't surprise me being the pick either.

Maybe a trade down a few spots i.e. to 13 or two trade downs to 13 then 18 (something like that) and then Dallas takes Farley and trade back up for Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah, I could easily live with that and see quite an improvement to the defense.

For me I am getting nervous about Farley, he is coming off back surgery, not sure this team is in a position to get another player who is damaged goods.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It is funny how draftnicks try to cut down Surtain. I really like Voch and Jeff. They are very entertaining and insightful but there argument for Horne over Surtain makes no sense to me. Voch just does not want the Cowboys to draft him and actual rated Joseph over Surtain. :rolleyes: He did a mock where Surtain is drafted 8th so he could have the Cowboys pick Pitts. Jeff is just stubborn and just seems to look for anyone but Surtain. At the beginning he was on Farley, in the middle Horne, and now he is pumping Newsome. I actually heard another draftnick say they like the “dog” mentality that Horne has and Diggs/Horne will be dogs together. What does that mean? Surtain must be boring I guess.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I prefer Horn because I think his ceiling is greater but I can live with PS2. We have so many holes I think that’s why you gamble on the guy with the higher ceiling. If we were say just ONE guy away, I’d go with Surtain because he’s safer

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Surtain is a clean prospect but I do think he’s going to struggle to get his head turned when the ball is in the air and shifty WRs could give him problems.

He’s had amazing competition to play and practice against as well as some of the best coaching.

I just prefer Horn because of athleticism and the mentality he plays with.

Horn is a guy that could bring a swagger to this defense. A real competitor that we desperately need.

Surtain is just not exciting at all and just too safe for me.

If I’m betting on Surtain or Horn to become an impact player my money is on Horn.

With that said.. Jaelen Phillips will be the steal of the draft and the guy we regret passing on for a corner like the stupid football team we are. (That’s without knowing his medical. The same medical that hasn’t had any impact on his Miami career)
Horne is a spot foul waiting to happen the same swagger and over aggressive mentality that most like will not fly on Sundays. I personally think he's the most overrated prospect being mentioned in the first round.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don’t pretend to be an expert so I don’t know how good he is projected to be. Not as good as Jalen Ramsey or he would never make it to #10. But if he is good enough to be a #1 cornerback and Diggs is your #2 cornerback, well that’s good enough for me.

That depends on the draft. This one has 5 QBs possibly going in the top 9, the highest rated TE ever, and teams who need OL.

None of that has anything to do with how "good" Surtain, Horn, or whichever WR falls is or is not.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Surtain is my CB1 and my #1 option at #10. The only other defenders in his league this year IMO are Parsons if you're cool with the off-field stuff, Phillips if you're cool with the concussion history, and Farley if you're cool with the back issues. Surtain OTOH is as clean as prospects get.

I think he is the first defender drafted this year and the odds of him making it to #10 are less than 50-50. If he is there, I can't see a situation where he isn't both BPA and biggest need.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Horne is a spot foul waiting to happen the same swagger and over aggressive mentality that most like will not fly on Sundays. I personally think he's the most overrated prospect being mentioned in the first round.

The thing is though I think it’s already close between Horn and Surtain but Horn has a lot more room to grow where as Surtain has a background that accelerated his growth as a player.

Surtain is a better football player today.

I just think Horn passes him up eventually because of the enormous upside.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm easy. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with what the Cowboys do in the 1st round. I mean, this all seems pretty straightforward and all the likely scenarios seem fine.
1. Stand pat and take whoever's there and whoever they like among Sewell, Pitts, Surtain, Horn and Slater. They're all consensus top-15 guys (yeah, Horn's a little lower sometimes) and that's fine with me.
2. Trade down a little bit, still get one of those guys (Horn or Slater) and get a top-90 pick.
3. Trade down more, get a Parsons/Farley/Moehrig/Barmore type and a top-60 pick or a 2022 first-rounder.
4. Trade 10 and 75 for 7 and take Pitts. Sure, what the heck, YOLO.

There are still lots of other things they could do that I wouldn't like, but I fully expect it to be one of these.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure would. Be OK with Parsons too. Or Horn if Surtain is gone.

One thing about being in that 10 spot, what player is going to be left that they can make a good trade? They need either that 5th QB to still be available or Waddle because I think Chase is gone.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

you make a good point , about how one player might fit quinns scheme better. that is something most fans dont think about.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It seems that since Surtain has been the constant pick according to all the Draft prognosticators, I wonder if many fans are getting disenchanted with the pick because it has become boring. As far as I can tell, Surtain is the consensus top CB in the draft so I wouldn't have a problem at all with the pick.
I think it will be between him and one of the O-Tackles should they be available.

He is the consensus top CB and arguably the #1 defensive player in this draft.

ultron

Reaction score
To draft 10th and walk away with the best defensive player in the draft is fine with me.

Big_D

Reaction score
Our problem was defending against the run. A Corner won't help that much. So i don't think he will make much of an impact regardless on how good he is. We will once again be destroyed by the run and next year we will finally come to realize we need a run stopping 1 tech. The FO of this team can never get a clue.

there’s a few quality 1 tech run stoppers that should be available. I think they grab one somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd. That guy who can take on a double team. I agree it’s been ignored, but I don’t think McCarthy and Quinn are as foolish as the Jones’ during the Jason Garrett debacle. I fully expect these coaches to address this ongoing and glaring issue. If they are that stupid this teams in trouble! Big Mac gets the benefit of the doubt in his 2nd draft since they did a nice job in his first!

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
The thing is though I think it’s already close between Horn and Surtain but Horn has a lot more room to grow where as Surtain has a background that accelerated his growth as a player.

Surtain is a better football player today.

I just think Horn passes him up eventually because of the enormous upside.

Ok I must admit that's fair one can definitely argue that Alabama players do tend to plateau once leaving there. I just like Surtain's pedigree considering he's been groomed to be an elite CB since a little kid. I think his football IQ, measurables, scheme friendly technique will make him a long term solution at CB for us. I do agree that Horne has a higher ceiling in the pro's if he can clean up some of his grabbing and improve his ball skills. He has a ton of batted down balls but if you're taking someone as high as 10 you got to see that they create turnovers as well.