Would You Be Upset Taking a Guard?

sjmike

Reaction score
If Dallas were to select Torrance or Avila at 26 would you be upset? That would possibly be a pick for need rather that BPA. But you could solidy the left side of your line for the next ten years. Your thoughts?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Dallas were to select Torrance or Avila at 26 would you be upset? That would possibly be a pick for need rather that BPA. But you could solidy the left side of your line for the next ten years. Your thoughts?
Yes, guards are the running backs of the offensive line. Unless you get a Martin type prospect you can get a good guard later in the draft. Also at 26 there will be many higher rated prospects to choose from at premium positions.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
At 26, yes upset (but it upto McClay, who we should trust....after all he preferred Tyler over Zion and Kenyon). However, if we were able to trade down with say Chiefs and get one of them there (with a 3rd or 4th RD pick which is about the draft point difference)), I'd be delighted.

sjmike

Reaction score
At 26, yes upset (but it upto McClay, who we should trust....after all he preferred Tyler over Zion and Kenyon). However, if we were able to trade down with say Chiefs and get one of them there (with a 3rd or 4th RD pick which is about the draft point difference)), I'd be delighted.
You could lose that guard to the Eagles that pick right before the Chiefs

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You could lose that guard to the Eagles that pick right before the Chiefs
I wouldn't worry (though a possibility), they can go Dickerson and Jurgens... I think they're going all-in and this is potentially the last year and they have gaping wholes in the secondary/LB and RB

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
A Guard would probably underwealm us initially, but with our recent track record in the first the he'll probably be able to pick up his DT on his shoulder and wipes out the LB in the second level and leaves behind him the Mariana Trench for the RB.

What would be disappointing is if we're blown out on all our 1st RDs ....and we're left with a meh Rd2 (that's good, not, never likely to be elite).

ghst187

Reaction score
Have to be trade down but not terrible to move down but stay in the first round for that fifth year option

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
It would be an overdraft, I don't really like being so desperate for need that you do it. I would hope they get anything that is great value at 26 then go for a guard later, 2nd/3rd round for sure.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I wouldn't. you build from inside out. taking someone like him and getting steele back and having Smith as a swing tackle, preserving him for the season (as he gets injured every year, so less wear and tear).

imagine if we stumbled into a center that can pass block a little. get back to running the ball, be like SF.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's a reach to fill a need. Last time they did that, they ended up drafting Taco Charlton. Avilia especially is considered a 2nd rd prospect. Not drafting a solid guard for a pro bowl corner or pass rusher.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think Green and Zion were better prospects than Torrance and Avila. With that said, this team does not like to stash their 1st round picks. WR, CB, and Edge have gotten the headlines in the draft process. But I think whoever they draft is someone they expect to start. We’ll see.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's a reach to fill a need. Last time they did that, they ended up drafting Taco Charlton. Avilia especially is considered a 2nd rd prospect. Not drafting a solid guard for a pro bowl corner or pass rusher.
We arent really a 'take Taco regardless' type of drafting organisation anymore. Our recent boards have indicated we see prospects in a different light from conventional wisdom eg preferring Tyler to Kenyon and Zion (and probably seeing a plug and play Guard who'll eventually move to LT ) or having a choice of Cine or Tyler as our 1stRd pick last year.
If the player doesn't fit (schematically, skillet or physically) what we want he'll be downgraded regardless of Big Boards around the league.