Would You Be Upset Taking a Guard?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
It's a reach to fill a need. Last time they did that, they ended up drafting Taco Charlton. Avilia especially is considered a 2nd rd prospect. Not drafting a solid guard for a pro bowl corner or pass rusher.
Where is your pro bowl corner playing? I agree it makes sense for the future but doubt you get much from him in year one. No matter what corner we would take at 26, they aren’t getting snaps ahead of Diggs, Gilmore or Bland.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think Green and Zion were better prospects than Torrance and Avila.
I wouldn’t be upset at all.
....and look what happened with us preferring Tyler over Green and Zion (regardless of them being off the board....we evaluated correctly. We shouldn't be upset with a Guard (if we pick one), we should trust McClay and his team.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
To answer the question, No.

To complicate it, if a guy who can also play T such as Wright fell to us, I run to the podium and am ecstatic.

If the board falls as most predictions show, then I would prefer a move back. I would be OK with Torrance. I do not like Avila anywhere near #26.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
To answer the question, No.

To complicate it, if a guy who can also play T such as Wright fell to us, I run to the podium and am ecstatic.

If the board falls as most predictions show, then I would prefer a move back. I would be OK with Torrance. I do not like Avila anywhere near #26.
Yep, there must be one of the Bills/Saints or Chiefs willing to trade up for a receiver at 26 which makes the pick of a Guard more palatable.
Would be interesting which receiver('s) we and those other teams are interested in. I'm convinced we would take the RIGHT WR (no idea which one we like), but if he's gone, get on the phone to the three of them (presuming all 3 are much more interested in receivers than ourselves).

cnuball21

Reaction score
We arent really a 'take Taco regardless' type of drafting organisation anymore. Our recent boards have indicated we see prospects in a different light from conventional wisdom eg preferring Tyler to Kenyon and Zion (and probably seeing a plug and play Guard who'll eventually move to LT ) or having a choice of Cine or Tyler as our 1stRd pick last year.
If the player doesn't fit (schematically, skillet or physically) what we want he'll be downgraded regardless of Big Boards around the league.
Ehh, Tyler was a reach for need just like Taco was. Obviously he’s a better player but still a reach.

He was in the 40s on consensus big boards kind of like Avila is. If we took Avila it would be another reach for need.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ehh, Tyler was a reach for need just like Taco was. Obviously he’s a better player but still a reach.

He was in the 40s on consensus big boards kind of like Avila is. If we took Avila it would be another reach for need.
No, he wasn't a reach for US, he had a RD1 grading (above Zion and Kenyon both 2's). The pick was either Tyler or Cine.
We pick from our Board, not consensus boards....that's why we draft well.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
If Dallas were to select Torrance or Avila at 26 would you be upset? That would possibly be a pick for need rather that BPA. But you could solidy the left side of your line for the next ten years. Your thoughts?
In my opinion that’s a must selection either one. It gives DAK more time and blocking lanes for running which is emphasized this year. It may not necessarily be required in the first round. It must be in the first two rounds

sjmike

Reaction score
In my opinion that’s a must selection either one. It gives DAK more time and blocking lanes for running which is emphasized this year. It may not necessarily be required in the first round. It must be in the first two rounds

RandyOh

Reaction score
Kinda yea. Neither of the 2 top options are leaps and bounds better than what would be available on day 2. 1st round needs to be a playmaker or a defensive stud.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Where is your pro bowl corner playing? I agree it makes sense for the future but doubt you get much from him in year one. No matter what corner we would take at 26, they aren’t getting snaps ahead of Diggs, Gilmore or Bland.
he will be playing all the snaps if one of them get hurt.i really dont want to rely on Joseph anymore.

cnuball21

Reaction score
No, he wasn't a reach for US, he had a RD1 grading (above Zion and Kenyon both 2's). The pick was either Tyler or Cine.
We pick from our Board, not consensus boards....that's why we draft well.
They can build their board however they want but it was a consensus reach…not even a small one like half a round.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They can build their board however they want but it was a consensus reach…not even a small one like half a round.
No, most of us accept McClay's assessment and that he won't reach...if its a Guard then he'll think him worthy of the pick (though id assume we'd prefer to trade down to secure one). Is your opinion (as I suspect) being clouded by your persistent advocacy of a WR in the first?

cnuball21

Reaction score
No, most of us accept McClay's assessment and that he won't reach...if its a Guard then he'll think him worthy of the pick (though id assume we'd prefer to trade down to secure one). Is your opinion (as I suspect) being clouded by your persistent advocacy of a WR in the first?
This isn’t my opinion, it’s literally the consensus of every big board out there. We reached for Tyler then reached again in the 2nd on Sam.

Me not wanting a G has to do with the fact that there isn’t a 1st round G in the draft and if we take one we’d be reaching again when a better player is on the board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Draft isn't about just yr 1, it is a 5 yr investment. A corner/edge rusher will see time in the sub-packages and will compete to come starters in yr 2. You can find Guards throughout the draft, the valued positions get drafted higher.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This isn’t my opinion, it’s literally the consensus of every big board out there. We reached for Tyler then reached again in the 2nd on Sam.

Me not wanting a G has to do with the fact that there isn’t a 1st round G in the draft and if we take one we’d be reaching again when a better player is on the board.
I always saw a reach it as a player that could be available later or is picked way before he should (which isn't the expected case with Torrence, especially with a trade down). In any case if the best player doesn't have the attributes/skillset you want....then he's not your BPA.
I much prefer McClay sorting our board rather than a talking head.
Then again you're probably looking for ANY WR at 26....which I think is a TACO scenario.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We arent really a 'take Taco regardless' type of drafting organisation anymore. Our recent boards have indicated we see prospects in a different light from conventional wisdom eg preferring Tyler to Kenyon and Zion (and probably seeing a plug and play Guard who'll eventually move to LT ) or having a choice of Cine or Tyler as our 1stRd pick last year.
If the player doesn't fit (schematically, skillet or physically) what we want he'll be downgraded regardless of Big Boards around the league.
McClay was apart of the front office who reached for taking Taco. They took him there cause they didn't think another would be there in rd 2. We don't even know who is going to start along the OL, MM/Stephen mentioned the best 5.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dallas were to select Torrance or Avila at 26 would you be upset? That would possibly be a pick for need rather that BPA. But you could solidy the left side of your line for the next ten years. Your thoughts?
Avila played a full season at OC.

A 332 pound OC that pushed Mazi Smith around is appealing. He can play OG in 2023 and replace Biafasz in 2024.