Would You Be Upset Taking a Guard?

cnuball21

Reaction score
I always saw a reach it as a player that could be available later or is picked way before he should (which isn't the expected case with Torrence, especially with a trade down). In any case if the best player doesn't have the attributes/skillset you want....then he's not your BPA.
I much prefer McClay sorting our board rather than a talking head.
Then again you're probably looking for ANY WR at 26....which I think is a TACO scenario.
Yea, you pretty much have it right. Avila would be a huge reach at 26 and Torrence would be a small reach.

What I want at 26 is for us to not reach and ideally get a high value position. Very, very simple.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
McClay was apart of the front office who reached for taking Taco. They took him there cause they didn't think another would be there in rd 2. We don't even know who is going to start along the OL, MM/Stephen mentioned the best 5.
Wasn't it his first draft? Didn't we pick Taco because he was the last of the DE's with the 'consensus' 1st RD grade and Watt was seen as a 3-4 OLB..... now to me that's a reach.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wasn't it his first draft? Didn't we pick Taco because he was the last of the DE's with the 'consensus' 1st RD grade and Watt was seen as a 3-4 OLB..... now to me that's a reach.
No, they had a 2nd rd grade on him and didn't follow their board.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No, they had a 2nd rd grade on him and didn't follow their board.
Did we? So our board was right, the problem was not following it.
@cnuball21 this is what I mean about the way we draft (especially early), we tend to be able to identify the player....whether those with the card actually draft him is another problem.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yes, guards are the running backs of the offensive line. Unless you get a Martin type prospect you can get a good guard later in the draft. Also at 26 there will be many higher rated prospects to choose from at premium positions.
Exactly. Plus we have Farniok and a couple others who could be plugged in.

cnuball21

Reaction score
@cnuball21 this is what I mean about the way we draft (especially early), we tend to be able to identify the player....whether those with the card actually draft him is another problem.
Yea, I’d disagree. Having Tyler over players like Karlaftis / Johnson last year doesn’t make sense. Same for taking Sam in the 2nd.

My problem in the past has been how we focus too much on a “type” of player instead of just overall talent. That and of course reaching for need.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They were worried all the pass rushers would be gone and there was strong depth at the corner position, they drafted Awuzie/Lewis the next two picks. Reaching to fill needs is almost always disasterous, we did the same thing with McCoy and Davin Cook in the past.

Draft is about investing 5 years on a player, not filling immediate needs. Fa is used for that. even Stephen Jones mentions it. Now if they didn't cover themselves enough, that on them and they are forced to reach to fill a need. They have done a better job of that and have been following their board better recently. Lamb/Parsons were their highest rated players, not sure about Tyler, but did know he was higher rated then the other Guards in the class.

cnuball21

Reaction score
They were worried all the pass rushers would be gone and there was strong depth at the corner position, they drafted Awuzie/Lewis the next two picks. Reaching to fill needs is almost always disasterous, we did the same thing with McCoy and Davin Cook in the past.

Draft is about investing 5 years on a player, not filling immediate needs. Fa is used for that. even Stephen Jones mentions it. Now if they didn't cover themselves enough, that on them and they are forced to reach to fill a need. They have done a better job of that and have been following their board better recently. Lamb/Parsons were their highest rated players, not sure about Tyler, but did know he was higher rated then the other Guards in the class.
I actually view Taco as more of a bust than big reach. I think he was a late 1st rounder by most.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I actually view Taco as more of a bust than big reach. I think he was a late 1st rounder by most.
If I remember, there were a few players rated higher on their board, where Taco had a 2nd rd grade. Think it was a corner and Davin Cook had a 1st rd grade.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If I remember, there were a few players rated higher on their board, where Taco had a 2nd rd grade. Think it was a corner and Davin Cook had a 1st rd grade.
That’s fair. Their plan worked with Chido and Lewis being available later but Taco just wasn’t good lol.

It could’ve been a grand slam draft if Taco hit.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s fair. Their plan worked with Chido and Lewis being available later but Taco just wasn’t good lol.

It could’ve been a grand slam draft if Taco hit.
or if they took freaking Watt, who the scouts loved!!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They have done a better job of that and have been following their board better recently. Lamb/Parsons were their highest rated players, not sure about Tyler, but did know he was higher rated then the other Guards in the class.
Machado mentioned (from what he saw on the Jerry flash) No.1 left was Cine, no.2 Tyler.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yes, guards are the running backs of the offensive line. Unless you get a Martin type prospect you can get a good guard later in the draft. Also at 26 there will be many higher rated prospects to choose from at premium positions.
This

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Tyler Smith was the #16 player on our board. The only player with a higher grade still left was Cine. And the team was not going to take a Safety over a guy they saw potentially could be their future LT. They’ll put together their board this year and hope they get that lucky.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tyler Smith was the #16 player on our board. The only player with a higher grade still left was Cine. And the team was not going to take a Safety over a guy they saw potentially could be their future LT. They’ll put together their board this year and hope they get that lucky.
Makes sense. Part of my problem is how they built their board.

IMO they should’ve a lot of players above Smith and viewed him more as a 2nd rounder.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Makes sense. Part of my problem is how they built their board.

IMO they should’ve a lot of players above Smith and viewed him more as a 2nd rounder.
But that's our evaluation, ironically in last years draft Cine eventually went to the Ravens, another team well regarded for there draft evaluation.
Interestingly, we only had second round grades of the 'Guard' only picks - Zion and Kenyon and they were regarded higher than this year's crop.....so there's a distinct probability if for some reason a team picked Tyler before us we wouldnt have taken any Guard in the first.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would take John Michael Schmitz over Steve Avila if you are looking for position flex.
JMS = Starting center that can play guard
Avila = Starting guard that can play center.
I think JMS isn't a reach at 26. I get Travis Frederick vibes from him.