Would you bring back Gilmore next year?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Gillmore was a stop gap, that is all.
We finally found a Bland, and others still in waiting...

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
When we traded for Gilmore and Cooks, all the talk was how professional both were. Instantly helped the WR room and CB room, we have Cooks for another year to continue to be a great mentor for the young WR's. Gilmore is and should continue to do the same next year.
Get Jerry in a room with him lip smacking and convince him to hang around and influence the young Corners etc. For a fair price, I'm all for it ! And he would be good depth if Diggs has any issues with his knee.

jay94

Reaction score
Whether we resign him or not due to age, we need to pay someone 8-12 mil a year at that position, injuries will happen. Also who knows if Diggs can even get to 100% next year.

quickccc

Reaction score
If a 34 yr old Gilmore is Ok cool with being the club's new nickel 3rd CB/slot role and accept a cap friendly deal ,,
,I'd absolutely love to have him back in that role.

- Imagine if there was another unfortunate injury to either Bland or Diggs, ...and yet we have a Gilmore
available and handy who could immediately fill in on the outside.

But I'd wonder about Gilly's pride to remain as an outside starter who is still playing at a high level, wants that
very last big pay contract and no doubts he'll wants to remain/or go with a SB contender.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don’t think you bring back a 34 year old corner who has clearly lost a step. He’s done well this year though. Hopefully his knowledge is rubbing off on the younger guys like Scott.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think you bring back a 34 year old corner who has clearly lost a step. He’s done well this year though. Hopefully his knowledge is rubbing off on the younger guys like Scott.

Maybe you can take advantage of his declining lateral speed across the field , but Gilmore does not give up big plays downfield.

- He's so fundamentally sound, savvy and maintains great positioning that he very rarely not bite on double moves and he still has enuff athleticism at age 33, that he can still stay with jet burners

- Oddly that it seems opposing teams are more influenced to target and go after INT record setting Bland
than they do Gilmore.

- Gilmore trade was just an outstanding add-on to this team !

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I'd be careful throwing out big bucks to our secondary and linebackers.

They benefit GREATLY from the guys up front. You can't pay EVERYONE....better focus on what makes it all work: the dLine

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
He's not his old self anymore but he's certainly not playing like he's old. One more year here is fine by me, especially with Diggs coming back off an ACL.
You would be an absolute fool to think that Diggs is going to be Pro-Bowl coming off his injury.

Who would be so stupid as to roll that dice and take those risks?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You would be an absolute fool to think that Diggs is going to be Pro-Bowl coming off his injury.

Who would be so stupid as to roll that dice and take those risks?
The Cowboys' front office did the same thing in 2022 expecting Michael Gallup to be 100 percent coming off an ACL. Bringing back Gilly needs to be considered.

zerofill

Reaction score
He will be 34 by the time the season starts and plays a position that the wheels can fall off quickly. He already has lost some athleticisim and isnt “lockdown” anymore.

Also keep in mind, Daron Bland has shown hes a better outside guy.
If he doesn't slow down from this season to next? I would if the price is good.
Guys like him can often make up for speed with just playing smart.

Never know when you will lose someone.

Gambit

Reaction score
Nah. I appreciate him this year though. Been a treat watching a hall of fame corner on our team. Professional and class act
Don't forget Gilmore, he's been a treat too.

Disclaimer: This post is meant as humourous entertainment value, it is way to early to call Bland a Hall of Famer.

Croomraider

Reaction score
Yes bring him back, he consistently shows up on 3rd down, still has the instincts, need him next season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He will be 34 by the time the season starts and plays a position that the wheels can fall off quickly. He already has lost some athleticisim and isnt “lockdown” anymore.

He's still playing well, so you can leave his age and losing a step out of the argument. The "lockdown" moniker has only belonged to two players... Prime and Revis Island, so I don't know why you are even mentioning it in this discussion. Gilmore is still better than most so of course we try to bring him back. You're going to need him opposite of Bland. Diggs won't be Diggs for a long while. It takes a good bit of time to fully recover from a torn ACL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Probably not for his 10.9M 2023 salary.

Give him the 5M that they're paying Jourdan Lewis and the answer is yes.