Would you do this trade?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The problem is the massive cap hit you'd have to take in future years to take on Osweiller. I assume you could restructure that, right?
16m cap hit for DAL that has to be immediately available

Romo gives 5.1m with the trade, so it lowers it to 11m(would get that from a Dez restructure)

After that his 16m guaranteed salary could be restructured or traded( if we ate 1/2)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Be strong mookie! They will come hard and fast but you must weather the storm. They will be circling like vultures waiting.

Keep the thread going. It's entertaining lol
It is not a joke...........Osweiler's 16m is guaranteed and tough to take on for any GM

jujoboys

Reaction score
Serious question before the continuos attack; why wouldn't Houston do this? Even if it's just Brock and their 1st.
Because at this point in his career, with his age and injury history, Romo is not worth a 1st and 3rd round pick. We will probably be lucky to get anything for him at this point. If we just got a 3rd round pick I would be jumping for joy. I love your enthusiasm but I think you have severely overvalued Romo. Romo has played in 5 games in the last 2 seasons and is a 37 year old with back problems.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Because at this point in his career, with his age and injury history, Romo is not worth a 1st and 3rd round pick. We will probably be lucky to get anything for him at this point. If we just got a 3rd round pick I would be jumping for joy. I love your enthusiasm but I think you have severely overvalued Romo. Romo has played in 5 games in the last 2 seasons and is a 37 year old with back problems.
Is a Super Bowl worth a 1st and 3rd?.....for HOU it is........that is the gamble

rynochop

Reaction score
Yes. I would also trade Romo for Seattle's entire front 7, but that ain't happening either.
This actually a horrible trade for the Cowboys, have you seen Osweillers cap hit? The Texans would jump all over that trade

erod

Reaction score
This actually a horrible trade for the Cowboys, have you seen Osweillers cap hit? The Texans would jump all over that trade

No, they wouldn't. There are ways to get rid of that cap hit, especially between now and when Dak is up for his big deal.

rynochop

Reaction score
I think all of us would do that trade. The issue is....no way would Houston offer that.
Offer a horrible qb with a cap hit of 19million to move up a few spots in the draft and a third?

rynochop

Reaction score
No, they wouldn't. There are ways to get rid of that cap hit, especially between now and when Dak is up for his big deal.
Then just keep Romo and have a better QB. Terrible trade idea for the Cowboys. To move up a few spots and a late third and a crappy qb that makes more than romo

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
HOU gets:
Tony Romo

DAL gets:
Brock Osweiler
HOU 2017s 1st Round Pick (25 overall)
HOU 2017s 3rd Round Pick (89th overall)

no team is giving you a first round pick for a 37 year old player that's going to be cut anyway

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Just to be a contrarian, no way I do this trade. They'd have to throw in JJ Watt and a 2018 first as well.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We have idiots suggesting Romo getting cut and the Cowboys getting nothing for him, so obviously the proposed trade is better than getting nothing. I'm still not convinced even that trade is enough compensation for Romo.

erod

Reaction score
Then just keep Romo and have a better QB. Terrible trade idea for the Cowboys. To move up a few spots and a late third and a crappy qb that makes more than romo
That's absolutely what I want. I don't think Tony is interested in that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
HOU gets:
Tony Romo

DAL gets:
Brock Osweiler

The Texans take a $25 million hit if they trade or release Osweiler, which is $6 million more than it would cost to keep him this year. Next year would be the ideal time for Houston to get out from under that contract (with a savings of $15 million).

If for some reason Houston was willing to take that hit (say because of a favorable restructure by Romo), Dallas would face the issue of Osweiler having a $16 million base salary this year. The only way it would be possible is if he were willing to completely redo his deal.

So, if Romo restructures where he only cost Houston around $5 million, Osweiller restructures where he only costs us around $3 million and Houston offers their first and third, sure I'd go for that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
HOU gets:
Tony Romo

DAL gets:
Brock Osweiler

Who the heck wouldn't do that trade? lol I would take their first round pick and be thrilled but no trade remotely close to that is going to happen. Some continue to have Romo way overvalued despite his age an injury concerns.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
The best quarterback in the history of the franchise (statistically speaking), the second highest rated quarterback (min. 100 starts) and a top 10 NFL quarterback today which will make the Texans an immediate championship contender for the next 2-3 seasons plus we take the horrible contract of theirs and their quarterback who was benched and booed at the end of last season for a 1st round pick?

Why wouldn't Houston do that? Minnesota paid way more for an inferior player, it is very possible.

how people forget Romo's age and injury history. Any trade will not even be close to what you are suggesting, mark it down...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Serious question before the continuos attack; why wouldn't Houston do this? Even if it's just Brock and their 1st.

That's simple to answer, Houston wouldn't do it due to Romo's age and injury concerns. You have Romo way over valued at this stage in his career. You can't look past next season with him which is why no one would give up what you're hoping for. Some of you continue to ignore his age and injury history.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would not do a trade with Houston which took on that loser Osweiler and his salary cap hit. It really makes no sense. If you are going to eat that much dead money just keep Romo.