Would you give up eating meat?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Faerluna;4576063 said:
Don't ever eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Word to the wise.

I have a box of this in my cupboard.:) Haven't tried it yet. But, I have tried other Kashi cereals, some with even more fiber than the 8g Kashi Go Lean Crunch has. I hope it doesn't have any of that artificial sweetener stuff. My body does not like that stuff.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
ninja;4577699 said:
I have a box of this in my cupboard.:) Haven't tried it yet. But, I have tried other Kashi cereals, some with even more fiber than the 8g Kashi Go Lean Crunch has. I hope it doesn't have any of that artificial sweetener stuff. My body does not like that stuff.

I loved the cereal and would still be eating it, but it made me....uh...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4575876 said:
I gave up beef and pork almost 20 years ago. Mainly for dietary reasons. I eat chicken, turkey, and fish. At this point, whenever I've eaten beef by accident, I get a stomachache.

With a Chinese wife I eat lots of veggies and little meat. Now when I eat non-Chinese food I fill very quickly and generally feel stuffed. Even if I don't eat much I still feel uncomfortable sometimes to the point of a stomachache. BTW, we cook traditional Chinese food not American-Chinese so there is little fat/oil.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
No amount of money could remove a ribeye or porterhouse from my life, as a matter of fact, nothing could.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
jobberone;4577794 said:
With a Chinese wife I eat lots of veggies and little meat. Now when I eat non-Chinese food I fill very quickly and generally feel stuffed. Even if I don't eat much I still feel uncomfortable sometimes to the point of a stomachache. BTW, we cook traditional Chinese food not American-Chinese so there is little fat/oil.

Not go too far off stride, but what does traditional Chinese food consist of?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
vta;4577801 said:
Not go too far off stride, but what does traditional Chinese food consist of?

...it's mostly veggies for nutrients and rice as the traditional carb.

If you come from the coastal region of China obviously fish are a source of protein.

If you are from northern China you eat cereal grains as rice doesn't grow there. Meat then becomes on of your sources for protein.

Cereal grains are converted not to bread form, but mostly noodles. The genesis of this goes hand in hand with the invention of the chopsticks.

Most of the vegetables are leafy green, but cooked to make them more palatable.

Oriental vegetables have a tendency to be more bitter and don't possess the sugars you will find in peas and carrots. But they are very high in trace minerals and phytonutrients that make up the basis for a very healthy diet.

There are no potatoes in the traditional European sense or Corn/Maize. They do grow tuberous vegtables such as Lotus Root, Cassava and Yam.

An interesting point is Chinese and Oriental cooking in general tends to require a higher percentage of preparation where the food inputs are often cut up into small bite size portions. It allows the culture to avoid the use of a knife when sitting down around the supper table and aids in the digestion of the food as the "chunks" are smaller. Especially the meat.

There never was any factory farms or feedlots in China and it is really only in post 1970's China that the large scale production of animals has taken hold.

It's one of the reasons that the CDC identifies China as the hot spot and locus of Aviary diseases.

In traditional diets meat is scarce. To be quite honest in all traditional cultures meat was a scarcity. Ancient grains are probably the predominant source of nutrition and diet if you turned back the clock hundreds of years back.

Eating a steak is really only a North American invention and the realm of the wealthy in Europe. But it does taste good!

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Faerluna;4577703 said:
I loved the cereal and would still be eating it, but it made me....uh...

You ain't kiddin'. If I eat that stuff, no one sits in the same room with me.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
davidyee;4577863 said:
...it's mostly veggies for nutrients and rice as the traditional carb.

If you come from the coastal region of China obviously fish are a source of protein.

If you are from northern China you eat cereal grains as rice doesn't grow there. Meat then becomes on of your sources for protein.

Cereal grains are converted not to bread form, but mostly noodles. The genesis of this goes hand in hand with the invention of the chopsticks.

Most of the vegetables are leafy green, but cooked to make them more palatable.

Oriental vegetables have a tendency to be more bitter and don't possess the sugars you will find in peas and carrots. But they are very high in trace minerals and phytonutrients that make up the basis for a very healthy diet.

There are no potatoes in the traditional European sense or Corn/Maize. They do grow tuberous vegtables such as Lotus Root, Cassava and Yam.

An interesting point is Chinese and Oriental cooking in general tends to require a higher percentage of preparation where the food inputs are often cut up into small bite size portions. It allows the culture to avoid the use of a knife when sitting down around the supper table and aids in the digestion of the food as the "chunks" are smaller. Especially the meat.

There never was any factory farms or feedlots in China and it is really only in post 1970's China that the large scale production of animals has taken hold.

It's one of the reasons that the CDC identifies China as the hot spot and locus of Aviary diseases.

In traditional diets meat is scarce. To be quite honest in all traditional cultures meat was a scarcity. Ancient grains are probably the predominant source of nutrition and diet if you turned back the clock hundreds of years back.

Eating a steak is really only a North American invention and the realm of the wealthy in Europe. But it does taste good!

That's interesting, it doesn't strike me as that much different from the American view of Chinese food from the ingredients: mostly a veg and rice combo, though throwing in shreds of meat is always an option.

I'd heard things like fried rice and egg rolls were an Americanized sort of dish, but generally I will get a stir-fry of veg and rice. But then I'd read that authentic Chinese food consists of odd fish dishes, like Shark Fin Soup or octopus.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
vta;4577895 said:
That's interesting, it doesn't strike me as that much different from the American view of Chinese food from the ingredients: mostly a veg and rice combo, though throwing in shreds of meat is always an option.

I'd heard things like fried rice and egg rolls were an Americanized sort of dish, but generally I will get a stir-fry of veg and rice. But then I'd read that authentic Chinese food consists of odd fish dishes, like Shark Fin Soup or octopus.

...the biggest difference is the proportion of meat. In China you will find many fried rice dishes and the egg roll's origins is from the spring festival where spring rolls are aplenty.

As a culture the Chinese will eat anything that swims, flies, crawls, runs or burrows.

The Shark's Fin Soup is the saddest thing the Chineses do. They catch sharks in large trawler nets chop of the fins and throw the rest of the creature back into the sea to die.

Imagine shooting your prize heifer, cutting off the tenderloins and tossing the rest of the animal onto the side of the road.

Although the soup is awesome tasting, it is a tradition that even I believe needs to end.

This world is not just here for human taking. We need to be the caretakers of this world. The Chinese are some of the worst offenders of the exploitation of animals even though many of the poorest regions have the healthiest diets.

Kristen82

Reaction score
I'm a medical student and distance runner who burns a lot of calories but I've still found you can get enough complex carbs and complete proteins and antioxidants etc. from a vegetarian diet. Still, a portobello mushroom or ground veggie burger just doesn't offer the complete sensory experience a sirloin burger does. It's difficult avoiding temptation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
trickblue;4576962 said:
products-made-cattle.jpg

What cracks me up here is the ignorance of whoever put this chart together. Vegans aren't stupid. The 3 or 4 I know work extremely hard to remain vegan and know and understand every single product that they consume. There are voluntary vegan labeling standards - you go to your local health food store or gourmet market and you'll likely see many products (like shampoo, deodorant, etc.) that have those labels.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
davidyee;4578518 said:
...the biggest difference is the proportion of meat. In China you will find many fried rice dishes and the egg roll's origins is from the spring festival where spring rolls are aplenty.

As a culture the Chinese will eat anything that swims, flies, crawls, runs or burrows.

The Shark's Fin Soup is the saddest thing the Chineses do. They catch sharks in large trawler nets chop of the fins and throw the rest of the creature back into the sea to die.

Imagine shooting your prize heifer, cutting off the tenderloins and tossing the rest of the animal onto the side of the road.

Although the soup is awesome tasting, it is a tradition that even I believe needs to end.

This world is not just here for human taking. We need to be the caretakers of this world. The Chinese are some of the worst offenders of the exploitation of animals even though many of the poorest regions have the healthiest diets.

Thanks for the info David. I don't know why they don't haul in the whole thing and eat it in it's entirety instead of torturing it. I've eaten shark and I loved it.