Would you have tanked for Ryan Leaf?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
If Dallas ends up with a top five pick, it would be reaching to draft a DL first. This is a really bad draft for top end defense talent. The only way to get value would be to trade back and draft defense.
yes

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No respect from me.....
I agree. You know there was a time when Cole Beasley quit and it probably should've hurt his career. Not many coaches allow for a player to quit on them and beg them back. Then he had the nerve to cry every offseason about something....

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Nobody good on Dline in next year's draft that is worth using a Top 3-5 overall pick on.

Best to use that Top 3-5 overall pick on LT Penei Sewell. He would fill in for when Tyron Smith retires in the next year or two. In the meantime, Sewell could play Left Guard, thus placing the disappointment named Connor Williams as a backup.
If I thought Cowboy's management would use Sewell at LG in interim period, then that would be very interesting

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would grab Sewell (sp?) if I knew T. Smith was not going to be back, but otherwise maybe trade down for more picks. The Cowboys need a lot of help, especially on defense.
I'm against trading down for the simple fact it never works out. I don't trade away from talent. If there's a guy I Want I take him. If there's a guy I for sure know when I can get later on the draft I do it. It worked with Fredericks but its left a bad taste in my mouth ever since we traded down from Stephen Jackson just to get a guy that plays the same position but who was inferior. Just a terrible way to go about that.

This team better not draft offense next year I don't care if its a linemen. UNLESS Tyron retires.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
I don't understand why someone would want to lose on purpose to draft a player that is not proven. Could put us back another 10 years.......

Ryan Leaf was a headcase, which came across in his pre-draft interviews. Much like Johnny Football. Thankfully we don't have characters like that with the top 2-3 QBs in the 2021 draft.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. You know there was a time when Cole Beasley quit and it probably should've hurt his career. Not many coaches allow for a player to quit on them and beg them back. Then he had the nerve to cry every offseason about something....
There are circumstances in life, he quit on himself and on football, but I don't think he quit on his team. I agree with you, but quitting on your team is a tough one to forgive

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't understand why someone would want to lose on purpose to draft a player that is not proven. Could put us back another 10 years.......

We still had Troy Aikman in 1998. I get your point and the only way you tank for a college QB is if you have absolutely nothing at the position. Anyone who knows football knows drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Look no further than Sam Darnold who the Jets took in the top 5. He certainly hasn’t been the answer.

Swanny

Reaction score
I'm talking about the sport of football or anything worth working for. My dad never played football or even saw me play, but he taught to work hard and never quit. I don't like quitters. I don't care what they think about me.
Is trying to better your team quitting? I think it's the exact opposite. By trying to lose they will be a better football team. But let's be real. These are professional football players. They are not trying to tank intentionally. If they are on the field they are trying to win. No nfl football player goes out there and accepts the fact that they need to tank. Nfl football players play for a pay day. The better they do on the field bthe more money they will make. So when fans want thier team to tank it doesn't mean the team is actually going to TRY AND TANK. Players don't try to lose.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is trying to better your team quitting? I think it's the exact opposite. By trying to lose they will be a better football team. But let's be real. These are professional football players. They are not trying to tank intentionally. If they are on the field they are trying to win. No nfl football player goes out there and accepts the fact that they need to tank. Nfl football players play for a pay day. The better they do on the field bthe more money they will make. So when fans want thier team to tank it doesn't mean the team is actually going to TRY AND TANK. Players don't try to lose.
I can't root for a loss as a fan.....can you really sit and watch a game and hope we lose?

RS12

Reaction score
We still had Troy Aikman in 1998. I get your point and the only way you tank for a college QB is if you have absolutely nothing at the position. Anyone who knows football knows drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Look no further than Sam Darnold who the Jets took in the top 5. He certainly hasn’t been the answer.
What help has Darnold had at any time? Horrible coach, bad O line and no weapons. Yet he still managed to beat the Cowboys last year. He will get moved to a better organization and be much better off.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That may be true, but it is ridiculous how fans are scared of moving on from Dak. There are other QB options and the least expensive and the best value is to draft one. Do you really think that this team can afford to rebuild and pay Dak too? There is no way that they can rebuild in the next four or five years when $40 million a year if cap space is used on one player. This team is such a mess as it is without taking a huge cap hit. With the exception of the WRs, every other position group needs upgraded and rebuilt. Dak is wanting a four year contract and I don’t see no way that this team can overcome the all the holes in the roster and the coaching to be competitive within that four years. The team will still be in a mess four years from now and paying a Dak is not going to fix that.
I can give credence to the idea that it may be difficult to pay Dak and make the other upgrades the team needs. That’s a different argument from the more simple minded “Dak sucks and is solely responsible for all problems” position some take. For some having other needs has nothing to do with the shortcomings of the team.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can give credence to the idea that it may be difficult to pay Dak and make the other upgrades the team needs. That’s a different argument from the more simple minded “Dak sucks and is solely responsible for all problems” position some take. For some having other needs has nothing to do with the shortcomings of the team.
Dak had his chance with probably the best offensive roster in the NFL in the past years.
HE FAILED!
This is a game of inches and Dak comes up short unless it's the Giants or D.C.
Time to move on.....Things change.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What help has Darnold had at any time? Horrible coach, bad O line and no weapons. Yet he still managed to beat the Cowboys last year. He will get moved to a better organization and be much better off.

He beat the Cowboys because we don’t have a defense and it’s gotten a lot worse since he beat us. It’s amazing Dak has had the success he’s had with the defenses we keep fielding every year. We have OL issues and a defense that needs to be rebuilt. Sam Darnold is an inconsistent QB. He had INT issues in college and it’s followed him to the pros. Real good QBs make their teams better. Darnold isn’t very good and the Jets will likely move on from him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@OmerV I live in Washington State football country and I had a feeling that Manning was the proper pick. Just judging by what information was available and their dispositions as human beings. People knew Leaf was a knucklehead and could be rattled. Were even with Peyton and the Florida roadblock you could see there was something there. I think there was some foresight with Manning,Charles Woodson, and Randy Moss panning out.
I understand what you are saying, but realistically every year there are fans (and teams) that fully believe in the top QB prospects and others that don’t and some will be right and some wrong ... everyone can’t be right.

Plus, realistically, how often does a QB of that caliber come along? It’s not realistic to assume any QB prospect coming out of college will reach that level. It can happen, but it will be rare.

That’s why a team has to think carefully before abandoning a guy that has proven to be a quality NFL QB. If they go that route they take the chance of getting the next Peyton Manning, and that obviously would be huge, but they also take the chance of getting the next Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell or Marcus Mariota.

I’m not saying a team shouldn’t take the chance, just that it should only be after careful consideration. It’s not the easy no brainer some make it out to be.

garyo1954

Reaction score
If Dallas ends up with a top five pick, it would be reaching to draft a DL first. This is a really bad draft for top end defense talent. The only way to get value would be to trade back and draft defense.

There's a paper by Massey and Thaler from back in 2005 that tends to support the idea that the only good use for a high pick to trade it away for more picks. In having the #1 pick a team is paying a premium for a high (first pick) who rarely, if at all, provides a surplus (field performance) better than a low first rounder. They consider the compensation vs surplus to level out in 2nd round, starting with the 10th pick. That is, in their study the, "get what you pay for point".

They conclude......

"We began this study with the strong intuition that teams were putting too high a value on choosing early in the draft. We thought it crazy for the Giants to give up so many picks for the opportunity to move up from the fourth pick to the first one (regardless of which player they chose). But we concede that we did not expect the findings to be as strong as those we report. Rather than a treasure, the right to pick first appears to be a curse. If picks are valued by the surplus they produce, then the first pick in the first round is the worst pick in the round, not the best! In paying a steep price to trade up, teams seem to be getting the sign wrong!

"Indeed, the irony of our results is that the supposed benefit bestowed on the worst team in the league, the right to pick first in the draft, is really not a benefit at all, unless
the team trades it away. The first pick in the draft is the loser’s curse."

kskboys

Reaction score
IDK, would you tank for Payton Manning? How about Aaron Rodgers?