Would you hire Wade Phillips as DC?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know the question is a little unfair to Nolan after only 2 games and it would mean switching back to 3-4 but he's an unappreciated DC. Remember MM used the 3-4 scheme for years as Packer HC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...sing-high-school-and-college-coaches-on-zoom/

Wade Phillips wants a job, currently advising high school and college coaches on Zoom
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2020, 6:35 AM EDT

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I know the question is a little unfair to Nolan after only 2 games and it would mean switching back to 3-4 but he's an unappreciated DC. Remember MM used the 3-4 scheme for years as Packer HC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...sing-high-school-and-college-coaches-on-zoom/

Wade Phillips wants a job, currently advising high school and college coaches on Zoom

I would go with Edwards first. Have to give Nolan more time. He has a dubious record but I think the bigger issue is the players. I rewatched the game last week and saw Smith stop running, like just stopped, on a pass play to Hurst. Some of these “stars” lack effort.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Do you mean ever or right now? The reason Nolan’s defense isn’t performing well is not a shock to those who understand the importance of practice. It takes time to implement scheme changes and get players comfortable which Nolan didn’t get nearly enough of.

I always say this isn’t Madden where you just get 99 rated players and crush regardless of scheme.

So if Nolan had 3 weeks of some semblance of practice and zoom meetings in the offseason and it’s not close to enough, why would Wade Phillips work mid season?

Stop with the fantasy football ideas.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would go with Edwards first. Have to give Nolan more time. He has a dubious record but I think the bigger issue is the players. I rewatched the game last week and saw Smith stop running, like just stopped, on a pass play to Hurst. Some of these “stars” lack effort.
I saw that play too. I thought Smith got tangled up in traffic as Hurst was crossing in front of it. I actually though it was a well designed play offensively. Smith tries hard but sometimes he seems like he over runs the plays. Dallas players dont seem to be the smartest guys like in NE.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Do you mean ever or right now? The reason Nolan’s defense isn’t performing well is not a shock to those who understand the importance of practice. It takes time to implement scheme changes and get players comfortable which Nolan didn’t get nearly enough of.

I always say this isn’t Madden where you just get 99 rated players and crush regardless of scheme.

So if Nolan had 3 weeks of some semblance of practice and zoom meetings in the offseason and it’s not close to enough, why would Wade Phillips work mid season?

Stop with the fantasy football ideas.

I'M NOT SAYING FIRE NOLAN THIS SEASON.........Simply asking if MM decides after the season to make a change, would anyone be interested in Phillip.

Centex

Reaction score

But it wasn’t Smith’s fault. The playbook was too complex and didn’t explain that he was supposed to tackle on that play.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Wade wouldnt come here. Not after the team quit on him and that whole scenario with Garrett waiting in the wings behind him. I thought was BS.

Jipper

Reaction score
Let me clarify.......I'm not suggesting in any way, Nolan should be fired during the season.

fair enough

But no wouldn’t look at him, need to look at younger more creative and progressive options that understand the future of the game

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I'M NOT SAYING FIRE NOLAN THIS SEASON.........Simply asking if MM decides after the season to make a change, would anyone be interested in Phillip.
No assistant should be fired after the season since they were given no offseason to implement their schemes. We have no idea what Nolan is without giving proper time.

No matter who they’d bring in in that scenario there’s no way of knowing if they’re an upgrade.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wade wouldnt come here. Not after the team quit on him and that whole scenario with Garrett waiting in the wings behind him. I thought was BS.
Everyone that was on that team is long gone. Im not saying it wouldn't be a factor, but what would matter is is whether Phillips relationship with the Joneses is strained.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
fair enough

But no wouldn’t look at him, need to look at younger more creative and progressive options that understand the future of the game
I definitely understand you on this. I would lean in this direction as well. However with Phillips, he still remains a high caliber DC.

Reactions: BAT

Cowboyny

Reaction score

We got to give Nolan a chance. No offseason, many new players, moving from probably the easiest scheme to one that is far more complex. Scheme changes don't happen over night. Nolan and his staff is determining what these players do best, which players are apart of their long-term plan and what areas of need they have to address after the season. I expect the defense to get better as the season progresses. However, their talent will take them only so far. I expect the unit to improve, but let's be honest, the way this team has been built, it's up to the offense to carry this team!