Would you interview just two people for your job?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never heard that last part about Belichick. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t think the McCarthy hire was some sort of spontaneous decision by the Jones boys.
I didn't either, found it on Wiki when I was looking at his history. They thought that important enough to put it in his profile.

One thing for sure, the man is all about offense and it looks like he didn't waste much time hiring his DC, Mike Nolan. Lots of NFL coaching experience between those two men.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I know you are trying to make a point here but in the real world it just doesn't work that way.

I hire people I know are under-qualified because it's nearly impossible to find people that are.
I'm definitely not aiming to interview 5 times every time there is an opening because I have other things to do than interview people.
We rely quite a lot on word of mouth where good resources suggest other people who they feel are on or about their level.

Sometimes people just like to complain.

DAL interviews Garrett, Lewis and McCarthy but literally had a YEAR to look into all available option and talk to a ton of people before coming up with their short list.
They didn't need to meet 10 people when your resume for the NFL is available for all to know via your won/loss record and history in big games.
MM had his eye on the DAL job and DAL had it's eyes on him.
He took a year off and studied the game and DAL specifically.

If you interview an A+ candidate you don't let them leave with a we'll call you later.
You get them hired right away.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
we have NO CLUE what was happening behind the scenes. Maybe Jerry had already reached out to the Oklahoma wonder boy and was told he had no interest. Maybe the same from Urban ........The Jones' knew by week 14 they were likely getting rid of JG no matter what happened and they have been silently behind the scenes taking the pulse of different coaches. Nothing panned out like they wanted and thus MM was the best of what was left.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please remember that CZ is not a platform for politics, government, etc. opinions and debates.

The topic of this thread is asking "Would you just interview two people" not is it legal or illegal to do so in a state or in the US or anything like that.

ICP

Reaction score
I agree, and I question whether or not that was a good way to execute the hiring process to make the best decision and get the best candidate. That's the point of me starting this thread.
Seeing as it's Jerry behind this I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no it wasn't the best way to execute the process. But then it seems that with all his coaching hires he had made a decision befere ever interviewing

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?
Sure, all the time. Often just one. You do your homework up front, figure out who your leading candidate is, and if they do well in the interview, you make them an offer. That's how most organizations I've been in have done their hiring.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you had everyone's work out there as their resume and had even seen it up close and personal, would you need a lot of candidates?

They were looking for something very specific which shortened the list considerably. Interviewing a bunch of people means you didn't do your homework and when the right person is there, you go for it. They didn't just come upon Big Mike as a candidate. The NFL is a very small network, there aren't a lot of formal interviews conducted. Every coach in the league is auditioning constantly.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd do the homework if I cared enough to satisfy you, Mikey, but I don't. Sorry.

So you don't have anything with an actual quote from someone with the giants. It's funny hot ha ha funny, that when googling that I came across a single thing from an "insider" that means in other words he was SPECULATING because he didn't quote anyone from the giants either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I thought about including this in one of the multiple threads on the new hire, but feel it would just get lost and ignored. But I'd like to present this question, if you were hiring for a job, any job, much less the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Would you interview just two people and then call it a day?

How many people were interviewed when BP got hired? As far as that goes how many other people did Jerry approach before he determined Jimmy Johnson would be his coach to replace Landry?

Hadenough

Reaction score
They say Jerry fell in love with McCarthy and that was it. LOL

erod

Reaction score

The rumor is, McCarthy told Dallas he had an offer sheet from the Giants, and that if the Cowboys wanted to interview others, he was going to sign the Giants deal immediately.

So they decided to sign him now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many people were interviewed when BP got hired? As far as that goes how many other people did Jerry approach before he determined Jimmy Johnson would be his coach to replace Landry?

Parcells was on the Belichick level. If you can get him, you do. Certainly an exception.

As for Jimmy? Jerry probably picked him before he even owned the team so the circumstances were different.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rumor is, McCarthy told Dallas he had an offer sheet from the Giants, and that if the Cowboys wanted to interview others, he was going to sign the Giants deal immediately.

So they decided to sign him now.

I definitely get the feeling that there were a set of requirements that the team had that limited things to a very few candidates. I'm just not sure that was the best approach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Parcells was on the Belichick level. If you can get him, you do. Certainly an exception.

As for Jimmy? Jerry probably picked him before he even owned the team so the circumstances were different.

I'm just saying if you like the guy then move on him. I'm not saying if it was the right hire or not just the simple fact if you see someone you want then go get them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just saying if you like the guy then move on him. I'm not saying if it was the right hire or not just the simple fact if you see someone you want then go get them.

That's certainly what they did.

And that was really the genesis of this thread, is it the right way to handle a search like this?

Now all we can do is to wait and see if their decision and method works or not?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's certainly what they did.

And that was really the genesis of this thread, is it the right way to handle a search like this?

Now all we can do is to wait and see if their decision and method works or not?

I think a certain determination was made in that they wanted a guy who has been a HC in the NFL. That narrowed it down

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you don't need to interview 10s of candidates....I have hired people before and they were the first interviewee....you find you guy, you don't worry about what the other guys could be...you cash in

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
If you want the person you pull the trigger or else someone else will. Also, going into the process you already know who you sort of want.