Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
No way Jerry is going to blow this Clown Show up!
He is going "ALL IN " baby!
Of course seeing is believing on that one.
Jerry gets NO benefit of the doubt.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'd have zero issues blowing it up. I'd probably be more engaged in a rebuild even if it came with fewer wins. It just gets harder and harder to believe that this team will get over the hump come playoff time as the vets like Martin/Tyron/DLaw etc are aging, meanwhile the core young guys in Micah, Dak, Lamb, etc are getting more expensive.

nobody

Reaction score
I'd try to get a trade deal to a team Dak would accept. If he refused, I'd eat the cap hit from designating him a post June 1st cut, then trade several players if I could to try to get the corrupted lazy rot out of the team. This season's trades wouldn't be the last though. There's too many players to get rid of to get rid of the "We were tired" losers in one go and have a viable team. 2024 would be a designated sacrifice year because of Dak's stupid contract, but designating him a June 1 cut saves the most overall.

Then draft a QB in the first round, either with a traded draft spot or our own and start working on a rebuild. In Training camp, start telling all the players that if they perform in the season at all like the players did in the playoffs, they'll be in the next round of cuts and trades. We want no crybaby losers on the team.

I would bring in the players from the 90's team to speak often to the team during camp... teach them to see each other as brothers and friends and to spend time outside of football together.

It would likely take 2...maybe 3 seasons to build back to form but with a stronger culture. (This is all under the impossibility that Jerry would allow any of it.)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may get some interesting mixed opinions.
Dak dislikers will say blow it up just to get rid of him. And I at times think of this as well. But you can still do that and not blow up rest of the team.
Dak lovers will say keep him, build around him. however, that has not happened yet.

With 3 straight years of 12-5, making the playoffs, but yet only to get bounced in not so good of performances. Is blowing up the team really good idea.
I don't think it is, as it is still a very young team. Get pieces to make it a better overall team. But coaching is a part of it as well. They too need to be better.

If you are going to blow it up, do it with a new coaching staff.

So I say build upon what you have which is a good solid playoff caliber team. However, does that mean do it with or without Dak.
I think with Dak, most fans will not change their opinion about the playoffs. One and done choke type performance. Regardless if they truly go this "all-in" stuff, team can be improved, but yet ... the playoffs ....

Without Dak, means an inexperienced QB, such as Lance or a rookie. So really it would be about the same, how does that inexperience perform in the playoffs, if they get there.

Right now, I am undetermined, but having a new young QB with potential always adds excitement to the future being better.

erod

Reaction score
I'd try to get a trade deal to a team Dak would accept. If he refused, I'd eat the cap hit from designating him a post June 1st cut, then trade several players if I could to try to get the corrupted lazy rot out of the team. This season's trades wouldn't be the last though. There's too many players to get rid of to get rid of the "We were tired" losers in one go and have a viable team. 2024 would be a designated sacrifice year because of Dak's stupid contract, but designating him a June 1 cut saves the most overall.

Then draft a QB in the first round, either with a traded draft spot or our own and start working on a rebuild. In Training camp, start telling all the players that if they perform in the season at all like the players did in the playoffs, they'll be in the next round of cuts and trades. We want no crybaby losers on the team.

I would bring in the players from the 90's team to speak often to the team during camp... teach them to see each other as brothers and friends and to spend time outside of football together.

It would likely take 2...maybe 3 seasons to build back to form but with a stronger culture. (This is all under the impossibility that Jerry would allow any of it.)
Today's athletes don't listen to anybody. They'd roll their eyes at the 90s players and stare at their phones.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Dak dislikers will say blow it up just to get rid of him. And I at times think of this as well. But you can still do that and not blow up rest of the team.
Dak lovers will say keep him, build around him. however, that has not happened yet.

With 3 straight years of 12-5, making the playoffs, but yet only to get bounced in not so good of performances. Is blowing up the team really good idea.
I don't think it is, as it is still a very young team. Get pieces to make it a better overall team. But coaching is a part of it as well. They too need to be better.

So I say build upon what you have which is a good solid playoff caliber team. However, does that mean do it with or without Dak.
I think with Dak, most fans will not change their opinion about the playoffs. One and done choke type performance. Regardless if they truly go this "all-in" stuff, team can be improved, but yet ... the playoffs ....

Without Dak, means an inexperienced QB, such as Lance or a rookie. So really it would be about the same, how does that inexperience perform in the playoffs, if they get there.

Right now, I am undetermined, but having a new young QB with potential always adds excitement to the future being better.
dak is inexperienced in the playoffs, what's the difference?? It's really just stats and cause for extra money during negotiations for us as fans to come on here to cry and moan about!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m fine blowing it up….but look at who would be running it.

The best we can hope for is they keep trying to patch what’s left of this window, and it either works out or gets worse and major change happens.

Sorry but this doesn’t get better unless a Johnson/Parcells type is brought in to rebuild it and change the culture.

Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh would have fit the bill but Jerry was busy doubling down on Mike and trying to be right.

I’m not even sure who may be that person nowadays but simply trading our best players for draft picks? I’d ask you to take a look at the results of our last few drafts before wishing for that.

They got very lucky in getting Parsons and Lamb. They each should have been drafted earlier.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
That Green Bay game exposed something about this team. Something deep down inside it's core is rotten. It needs to be rooted out and I am not talking about Tyler Biadasz. Pretending that game did not happen is not a solution. I don't care what it is but it has to be something new.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Someone would have to be brain dead to do that scenario. I don’t care how many first rounders you get, you’re not coming up with better players than the ones we traded. A first round pick doesn’t guarantee anything, just look at Mazi. Trading off all your valuable pieces would be the dumbest move in the history of the NFL.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I have a feeling this is what Jerry means when he says he is "all in". McCarthy is on the last year of his deal, and it seems like the Cowboys are willing to let Dak play out the last year of his deal, although that is certainly subject to change. I think it has less to do with player acquisitions and more with giving this core one more year before he starts writing blank checks to these guys ready for new contracts.

CowboyChris

Reaction score

this isn't about whether you're a Dak hater or lover, its about either adding some pieces and hoping for a better outcome or totally rebuilding the team, because the current doesn't seem like it can get over the hump on the playoffs.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Any season with Dak under center is a wasted season. I don't know if the next QB will be as good, but I know Dak will never win a championship. If winning the Super-Bowl is the goal, Dallas must find a way to get an elite QB. There may be busts along that path, but it's the only path to a championship.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Someone would have to be brain dead to do that scenario. I don’t care how many first rounders you get, you’re not coming up with better players than the ones we traded. A first round pick doesn’t guarantee anything, just look at Mazi. Trading off all your valuable pieces would be the dumbest move in the history of the NFL.
Yeah that Hesrchal Walker trade was terrible for the Cowboys. Plus this 2023 version was just too loaded with talent to possibly upgrade.

Toro9

Reaction score
Since the Herschel Walker trade I don't recall a time when Jerry traded any player for a high draft pick. Am I mistaken?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have a feeling this is what Jerry means when he says he is "all in". McCarthy is on the last year of his deal, and it seems like the Cowboys are willing to let Dak play out the last year of his deal, although that is certainly subject to change. I think it has less to do with player acquisitions and more with giving this core one more year before he starts writing blank checks to these guys ready for new contracts.
jerry has no clue of what he means