Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah that Hesrchal Walker trade was terrible for the Cowboys. Plus this 2023 version was just too loaded with talent to possibly upgrade.
The Cowboys had the worst team in the entire league when they made that trade and they traded ONE player, not all their most valuable pieces like the OP suggested. Fortunately, the Herschel Walker trade worked out for the Cowboys. The Rams made a similar trade a few years earlier with Eric Dickerson and that trade didn’t work out for them. No guarantees draft picks are going to pan out.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Someone would have to be brain dead to do that scenario. I don’t care how many first rounders you get, you’re not coming up with better players than the ones we traded. A first round pick doesn’t guarantee anything, just look at Mazi. Trading off all your valuable pieces would be the dumbest move in the history of the NFL
you're not trying to replace each player with a draft pick, you are using all that draft capital to build your team over the next couple of seasons, you would be a fool to have 5 1st rounders and take 5 players this year...the possibilities would be endless with trades, you could have extra first rounders in the coming seasons.

kwcool619

Reaction score
I'd try to get a trade deal to a team Dak would accept. If he refused, I'd eat the cap hit from designating him a post June 1st cut, then trade several players if I could to try to get the corrupted lazy rot out of the team. This season's trades wouldn't be the last though. There's too many players to get rid of to get rid of the "We were tired" losers in one go and have a viable team. 2024 would be a designated sacrifice year because of Dak's stupid contract, but designating him a June 1 cut saves the most overall.

Then draft a QB in the first round, either with a traded draft spot or our own and start working on a rebuild. In Training camp, start telling all the players that if they perform in the season at all like the players did in the playoffs, they'll be in the next round of cuts and trades. We want no crybaby losers on the team.

I would bring in the players from the 90's team to speak often to the team during camp... teach them to see each other as brothers and friends and to spend time outside of football together.

It would likely take 2...maybe 3 seasons to build back to form but with a stronger culture. (This is all under the impossibility that Jerry would allow any of it.)
In addition to the third sentence, how about bring Jimmy Johnson to observe training camp periodically? He can determine players who have the mental makeup to be champions. Not that Jerry would agree to this either.
And yes I am dreaming.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
you're not trying to replace each player with a draft pick, you are using all that draft capital to build your team over the next couple of seasons, you would be a fool to have 5 1st rounders and take 5 players this year...the possibilities would be endless with trades, you could have extra first rounders in the coming seasons.
The odds of replacing all that talent in the next three or four years would be slim and none. Good luck finding a WR as good as CeeDee in the next few years or an LB as great as Parsons. Good luck finding a QB as good as Dak or a corner as good as Diggs. You’ll end up downgrading with all or most of those first round picks. Someone would have to be totally out of their minds to trade away the four best players on the team for draft picks. No way is that going to make the Cowboys a better team. Get real! They would be picking in the top 10 every year if they made a move like that. Lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The answer to the question is, you build a defense so dominant that you have a chance in games that are too big for Dak.

That's the only play they have.
I agree options are very limited. Pouring resources into free agency and the draft on the defensive side of the ball might make it truly formidable. Of course, how well Mike Zimmer can mold such a unit into a consistent, four-quarter, top three defense is an additional question mark even if that were a possibility.

The offense would pay the penalty. In my opinion, Tyler Smith and Zack Martin are the only steady linemen in pass and run blocking. Both tackles and center would remain as productive or less so opening holes and keeping defenders out of the backfield. The run game will suffer. The passing game would be required to take up the slack. That would be the real obstacle for success week-to-week.

Could the defense be upgraded into a powerhouse capable of offsetting a diminished offense? That's the $64,000 question.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
The odds of replacing all that talent in the next three or four years would be slim and none. Good luck finding a WR as good as CeeDee in the next few years or an LB as great as Parsons. Good luck finding a QB as good as Dak or a corner as good as Diggs. You’ll end up downgrading with all or most of those first round picks. Someone would have to be totally out of their minds to trade away the four best players on the team for draft picks. No way is that going to make the Cowboys a better team. Get real! They would be picking in the top 10 every year if they made a move like that. Lol
if this talent is so great how come we keep getting bounced out of the playoffs early? and now this so called talent is going to want to be paid top tier money, are you willing to invest in that too? furthermore you don't have to trade all of them players, honestly i would be hesistant on trading Lamb, the rest can go as far as I'm concerned.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
do you know how much scenario 2 is going to cost jerry? no way he will do that. the only option under Jerry is option 1. get used to it

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'd have zero issues blowing it up. I'd probably be more engaged in a rebuild even if it came with fewer wins. It just gets harder and harder to believe that this team will get over the hump come playoff time as the vets like Martin/Tyron/DLaw etc are aging, meanwhile the core young guys in Micah, Dak, Lamb, etc are getting more expensive.
here is the issue I have with this.

if we had a real GM, then he could probably make some moves for a 12-5 team and get them closer and perhaps over the top. however we have Jerry, so we know that isn't happening. so if we blow it up, do we think this GM is capable of building from ground up!?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
As far as the team and coaches who’ve been part of 3 straight 12 win seasons, what possible legitimate reason could there be to blow it up; what possible good could come from blowing it up? NONE. Blowing it up is just a phrase used that almost never happens. Jerry and Jimmy came to the worst team in the NFL and blew it up by trading the best player on the team because most of the players sucked. Blowing up any team other than a bottom feeder with a couple of valuable players is just a stupid concept.

Creeper

Reaction score
First thing is we need to stop thinking we can shop at K-Mart and come up with a championship team.

But to me, the future of the Cowboys rides with Dak's contract demands. If he is willing to take a contract that gives the team flexibility in the future and rewards him based on the performance of the team, I would give this current group another couple of years to see if they can climb over the next hurdle. But if Dak insists on being the top paid QB, with lots of guaranteed money, I think I have to make the decision now that the future will be a different group of players. I would hamstring my team with CAP problems if my QB is Patrick Mahomes, but Dak needs a team behind him and I cannot build that right if Dak is getting paid $60 million annually, or what will be $90 million a couple of years down the road.

The caveat is, Jerry's unwillingness to get top tier talent in free agency to plug major holes in the roster. If Jerry isn;t going to sign good players at certain positions of need, then it doesn't matter what happens with Dak. The Cowboys will always be that team that is two players away from getting over the hump.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Winning 12 games for three straight years would pump up some fan bases around the league. But not in Dallas because we expect greatness that can only be achieved by winning the Super Bowl. I wanted to blow it up and go young. But the route we are going is the one in which I will support. Who really knows what is/was needed to get this team over the hump. We shall see if this is the year that they got things right or are still once again talking out of their donkeys when the new season rolls around. Hope, it is all we have.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning 12 games for three straight years would pump up some fan bases around the league. But not in Dallas because we expect greatness that can only be achieved by winning the Super Bowl/
tenor.gif

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
here is the issue I have with this.

if we had a real GM, then he could probably make some moves for a 12-5 team and get them closer and perhaps over the top. however we have Jerry, so we know that isn't happening. so if we blow it up, do we think this GM is capable of building from ground up!?
I can meet you half way there, I see where you are coming from, and agree that I struggle to see Jerry making moves to take this from a 12 win early playoff exit team to a legit championship contender. Thats exactly why I'm ok with the blow it up scenario though. My biggest fear in all this is we don't change anything and just see a gradual decline from 12 wins to 10 wins to 7 wins and then decide to go the rebuild route, but by that time you're also in the expensive years of new Dak deal + Parsons, Lamb, etc. At least now you have some assets to trade off that could actually net you valuable draft capital. I'd much rather rip the bandaid now unless Jerry is 100% serious about the all in approach.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is going to give you a #1 for a quarterback who cannot compete against good defenses?
Any season with Dak under center is a wasted season. I don't know if the next QB will be as good, but I know Dak will never win a championship. If winning the Super-Bowl is the goal, Dallas must find a way to get an elite QB. There may be busts along that path, but it's the only path to a championship.