Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
It has to start with Prescot and his inabilities to be competitive in meaningful games. Personally, I'm tired of watching this team beat-up on bottom feeders in the league, aren't YOU? His record against the stud teams on the road is horrible at best!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Winning 12 games for three straight years would pump up some fan bases around the league. But not in Dallas because we expect greatness that can only be achieved by winning the Super Bowl. I wanted to blow it up and go young. But the route we are going is the one in which I will support. Who really knows what is/was needed to get this team over the hump. We shall see if this is the year that they got things right or are still once again talking out of their donkeys when the new season rolls around. Hope, it is all we have.
36 wins over 3 years is great don't get me wrong, but I think it has more to do with the trajectory of the team at this point. You have a team that has serious holes to address on both lines, Linebacker, Running back, and possibly CB if GIlmore does not return. Maybe Jerry is serious about going all in this year and pushes cap hits down the road to truly round out the roster, however in its current state it's difficult to see how this team improves from 2023 while possibly giving record setting money to Dak/Lamb/Parsons.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.
That's a big jump. Not sure I agree with this. He makes HUGE dollars off the field and going to a different market would change things.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That Green Bay game exposed something about this team. Something deep down inside it's core is rotten. It needs to be rooted out and I am not talking about Tyler Biadasz. Pretending that game did not happen is not a solution. I don't care what it is but it has to be something new.
And management doesn’t see it that way.

They think they are “close.”

The last year or two was the peak of this group. They routinely misevaluate most things, so no big surprise.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
they're not going to blow it up because they kept mike McCarthy to not blow it up, so this is fantasy land, it wont happen for 2024,

So scenario 2 can happen IF you do not extend anyone this offseason, roll out what you have ie keep parsons and Lamb under rookie deal ,don't extend dak and only restructure enough to field a solid team this year,

SO in 2025 you make as many trades as you can before FA and the daft, total reboot.....

i mean you gotta be realistic they just won 36 games two division titles ,& been to 3 straight playoffs the last 3years... that not normal to just tear it down in that scenario. So jerry wants to run it back this year, decision already been made again keeping MM for his last year to see what happens. staffs hired, league year is about to start.. your plans are way behind.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would have blown it up.

But with McCarthy back, it seems clear they are gonna run it back. Dak is going nowhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who is going to give you a #1 for a quarterback who cannot compete against good defenses?
The Colts traded a 2021 third round pick and a 2022 conditional first round pick for Wentz who had been terrible in Philly at the end and got benched. So it's not exactly a stretch that some team desperate for a vet QB might throw a first round pick at Dallas. Prescott has his flaws but he's a much better QB than Wentz was at the time Wentz got moved to Indy.

nobody

Reaction score
The odds of replacing all that talent in the next three or four years would be slim and none. Good luck finding a WR as good as CeeDee in the next few years or an LB as great as Parsons. Good luck finding a QB as good as Dak or a corner as good as Diggs. You’ll end up downgrading with all or most of those first round picks. Someone would have to be totally out of their minds to trade away the four best players on the team for draft picks. No way is that going to make the Cowboys a better team. Get real! They would be picking in the top 10 every year if they made a move like that. Lol
What good is all that talent if when push comes to shove they always fold? I'll take a slightly less talented player with a lot of intestinal fortitude over a supremely gifted player that chickens out in every big game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
here is the issue I have with this.

if we had a real GM, then he could probably make some moves for a 12-5 team and get them closer and perhaps over the top. however we have Jerry, so we know that isn't happening. so if we blow it up, do we think this GM is capable of building from ground up!?
They should have made moves to improve the 12 win team from two years ago, and also one year ago.

Honestly what was the point of going cheap if they are headed for cap issues anyway?

At least give yourself the best shot before the dead money takes full effect and when the NFC wasn’t insurmountable.

The kings of misevaluation who think they are smarter than everyone else. They deserve the impending misery much more than we do.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Blow it all up. Start with Jerry's yacht.
That is the only true way you'll see a change.

Otherwise, he'll just find another "lost puppy" or
potential "heartwarming story" to hang onto for
another 8-10 years.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I would turn over the entire coaching staff and find the best leader available. I would draft the best QB and even consider a realistic move higher in the draft if there was a qb there we liked. The Dak thing would take care of itself with him waiving the clause, or deciding to compete. I would be willing to drop him post June1.

I’d try to use a big part of the draft to strengthen the LB and O line group. I’d try to use free agency to grab an elite D tackle if one is available. I also would trade for a great D tackle and use any one of our primary assets to get one.

I would trade any primary asset at WR and CB if we got a primary O line or D line asset in return.

This team need huge changes to its leadership. Dak, Lawrence, Parsons, and the coaching staff all have attitudes and a softness that needs to be replaced by mental and physical toughness. Any or all of them are expendable to me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
36 wins over 3 years is great don't get me wrong, but I think it has more to do with the trajectory of the team at this point. You have a team that has serious holes to address on both lines, Linebacker, Running back, and possibly CB if GIlmore does not return. Maybe Jerry is serious about going all in this year and pushes cap hits down the road to truly round out the roster, however in its current state it's difficult to see how this team improves from 2023 while possibly giving record setting money to Dak/Lamb/Parsons.
Exactly…this group has already peaked.

The last couple of turd drafts are going to begin to show on the field even worse than it already has.

They can try to patch it up by signing multiple top free agents but there’s absolutely zero reason to think that’s going to happen. They want to stick to the proven plan.

Kwyn

Reaction score
8NnTcn9_d.webp

Mannix

Reaction score
#2...blow it up...we have a QB with EIGHT years under his belt, who STILL takes sacks for losses instead of getting rid of the ball....that alone tells me ALL I need to know about his intellect and future as the starter.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What good is all that talent if when push comes to shove they always fold? I'll take a slightly less talented player with a lot of intestinal fortitude over a supremely gifted player that chickens out in every big game.
You may end up with a dud player with his #2 scenario. If you end up with a slightly less talented player how do you know they’ll have a lot of intestinal fortitude? To win championships you need highly talented players with a lot of intestinal fortitude. If you read the posts on this board, most of the fans wouldn’t have a clue how to build a championship team. Lol