Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Any season with Dak under center is a wasted season. I don't know if the next QB will be as good, but I know Dak will never win a championship. If winning the Super-Bowl is the goal, Dallas must find a way to get an elite QB. There may be busts along that path, but it's the only path to a championship.
:hammer:

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think is ridiculous because they have a good team and will be a contender again this year. We will see if they can make the improvements that they need at center, linebacker, dtackle, and running back to get over the hump. It can go either way.
They’ve been pretenders not contenders

Verdict

Reaction score
I would do some sort of “modified blow up”. Martin, Tyron, LVE, Biadasz, Gallup, Tank, Pollard, Kearse, Wilson would be shown the door in one form or another. I would trade for picks out of these guys if possible.

Dak, Micah, Cee Dee, Diggs, Bland, are all guys you have to take a good hard look at and decide which way you are going to go with them.

I think you keep Cee Dee. Micah is a dominant, dominant player, but can you afford to pay him his cap hit at re-signing time? He’s going to want to break the bank but is he worth the highest defensive salary in the NFL? Doubtful. The cap his is going to be prohibitive. He’s probably worth two firsts and change right now. Take your profit, reinvest those draft picks and keep your cap viable.

This wouldn’t be popular, but I would keep Dak but not give him a new contract. I would explore trade options with him and evaluate this QB crop. I would be looking to develop the young QB we traded for last year and add another QB through the draft or a cast off from another team (like Mayfield was last year) to rehab/develop.

I also think I would be looking to shop either Diggs or Bland. Paying two #1 corners is just not viable and one or the other will net you viable replacement level picks/players.

This team desperately needs linebacker help, RB, and help on both lines. Go get that and play physical football.

tunahelper

Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
Neither. Go all in on FA and draft. Blow the cap up with spending and ride it out. Then in a few years will rebuild from scratch.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would be more excited about the 24 season if they brought in a new/young coach and were clearing the cap and building something new. I've seen enough of this roster. Tyler, Lamb, Ferguson, Micah, Diggs and Bland would be safe and everyone else would be tradable or cutable.

kskboys

Reaction score
Any 12 win team is certainly a contender. The Super Bowl winner looked like crap when they lost to the Eagles and the Bills.
No, that is not how you determine super bowl contenders. Lazy man's way.

kskboys

Reaction score
We struggle in the playoffs so let’s just blow the team up so we can’t even make the playoffs. :rolleyes: Let’s just tear it all down and try and build it back up. Glad fans don’t run the team. There’s fans on this board that would rather have top 10 picks every year than compete in the playoffs.
That's what KC did.

rambo2

Reaction score
No, that is not how you determine super bowl contenders. Lazy man's way.
Any 12 win team is a contender. You can throw out any bs that you want. A team in the 2 spot is a contender. A 3 actually won this year. Stop with the bs.

jsb357

Reaction score
Dallas knew what Dak was before the last contract. Are they any more satified wih the on the field results or has he played up to the contact numbers?

Dak is what he is and we have seen his ceiling. Time to move on. One contract too late IMO.

But Jerry like his guys but that cost him time and money. He has enough of the later to keep playing the "another contact" game. Time not so much.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
No, I would not blow it up.

First of all, are you confident in Jerry and his idiot boy to make all those picks? Last year's draft is looking like a total bust, even our 1st round pick busted. Dude had 4 snaps in our playoff game. I'm sorry, but if your first round DT cant take more than 4 snaps in a playoff game and he is totally healthy, that is a bust.

How about our 2nd rounders? In like the last decade we have what, Diggs as the only stud? Everybody else is either a gimp or a drug addict.

Secondly, if you win 12 games a year for three straight years, you try to see what you can do to get a little bit better. You dont nuke the roster and become the Carolina Panthers just because you keep losing in the playoffs.

Good example is the Boston Celtics. A friend of mine from my UT days is a huge Celtics fan and they drive him crazy. The Celtics have been to the Eastern Conference Championship Series 5 consecutive years, but they have never won a ring. They always either get beat in the conference series or they lose in the finals. This has happened 5 consecutive seasons. My friend gets pissed off, want to fire the coach, trade away the players like Tatum and Brown, and start over because he says this core just cant get it done.

My response to him is, well at least your team is in the playoffs every year. My team (the Spurs) is one of the worst teams in the league and even with Wemby, they still lose almost every game.

And fyi, the Celtics currently have the best record in the NBA, we shall see if this is the year they finally break through. That is my whole point, you got to just keep at it and not go crazy and blow up your team just becasue you are disappointed with playoff resutls each year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Looking like a bust right now means nothing. You draft for the future not rookie years.
That is true, but you do like to see contribution during their rookie year.

Considering that the average NFL career is 3.3 years (data as of Sept 2023), a rookie year is almost 1/3 of the average career.

If you dive into the numbers, it is interesting to see that by position the longest career lenght is 4.87 for kickers and punters, and 4.44 for QBs. Obviously the rules that have been put into place to protect QBs have given them the second longest career by position.

The lowest position, RB at just 2.57 years. That is why all the analytic models say you never give a second contract to a RB.

So, my point is that a rookie year can account for 1/3 or even 1/2 of the average player's career, so you want them to contribute. There are no red shirt seasons in the NFL.

For anybody curious about other positions, here is the link............https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

LysleE

Reaction score
Blow it up…market all your star players for draft picks; get rid of those players with unfavorable contracts relative to the salary cap; hire a bright, innovative coaching staff and build the team with passionate players who perform at a high-level and hold themselves accountable; place an emphasis on the OL and DL
This team is going to be blown up either way…question is do you do it now, or at the end of the Dak era.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I would be more excited about the 24 season if they brought in a new/young coach and were clearing the cap and building something new. I've seen enough of this roster. Tyler, Lamb, Ferguson, Micah, Diggs and Bland would be safe and everyone else would be tradable or cutable.
I'd trade any and all for huge resources. After the mask slipped about the character of this team against Green Bay... I have no problem at all moving on from any of these "Hot Boyz" for some actual football players.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd trade any and all for huge resources. After the mask slipped about the character of this team against Green Bay... I have no problem at all moving on from any of these "Hot Boyz" for some actual football players.
Completely understandable.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Good example is the Boston Celtics. A friend of mine from my UT days is a huge Celtics fan and they drive him crazy. The Celtics have been to the Eastern Conference Championship Series 5 consecutive years, but they have never won a ring. They always either get beat in the conference series or they lose in the finals. This has happened 5 consecutive seasons. My friend gets pissed off, want to fire the coach, trade away the players like Tatum and Brown, and start over because he says this core just cant get it done.
IMHO there is a massive difference between us and the Celtics. The Celtics are knocking at the door. We get completely embarrassed by a 7 seed. The Celtic belong. We do not. A better example is the Maple Leafs in hockey. A bunch of highly paid "super stars" that are quickly dismissed every year in the first round of the playoffs but never change anything.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would do some sort of “modified blow up”. Martin, Tyron, LVE, Biadasz, Gallup, Tank, Pollard, Kearse, Wilson would be shown the door in one form or another. I would trade for picks out of these guys if possible.

Dak, Micah, Cee Dee, Diggs, Bland, are all guys you have to take a good hard look at and decide which way you are going to go with them.

I think you keep Cee Dee. Micah is a dominant, dominant player, but can you afford to pay him his cap hit at re-signing time? He’s going to want to break the bank but is he worth the highest defensive salary in the NFL? Doubtful. The cap his is going to be prohibitive. He’s probably worth two firsts and change right now. Take your profit, reinvest those draft picks and keep your cap viable.

This wouldn’t be popular, but I would keep Dak but not give him a new contract. I would explore trade options with him and evaluate this QB crop. I would be looking to develop the young QB we traded for last year and add another QB through the draft or a cast off from another team (like Mayfield was last year) to rehab/develop.

I also think I would be looking to shop either Diggs or Bland. Paying two #1 corners is just not viable and one or the other will net you viable replacement level picks/players.

This team desperately needs linebacker help, RB, and help on both lines. Go get that and play physical football.
IMHO this is spot on. The only two things I would change would be Diggs needs to go away and Dak needs to be running an offense closer to the 2016 version.

kskboys

Reaction score
Any 12 win team is a contender. You can throw out any bs that you want. A team in the 2 spot is a contender. A 3 actually won this year. Stop with the bs.
You're the one throwing out lazy BS. Are you even capable of adult conversation?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No, I would not blow it up.

First of all, are you confident in Jerry and his idiot boy to make all those picks? Last year's draft is looking like a total bust, even our 1st round pick busted. Dude had 4 snaps in our playoff game. I'm sorry, but if your first round DT cant take more than 4 snaps in a playoff game and he is totally healthy, that is a bust.

How about our 2nd rounders? In like the last decade we have what, Diggs as the only stud? Everybody else is either a gimp or a drug addict.

Secondly, if you win 12 games a year for three straight years, you try to see what you can do to get a little bit better. You dont nuke the roster and become the Carolina Panthers just because you keep losing in the playoffs.

My response to him is, well at least your team is in the playoffs every year. My team (the Spurs) is one of the worst teams in the league and even with Wemby, they still lose almost every game.

And fyi, the Celtics currently have the best record in the NBA, we shall see if this is the year they finally break through. That is my whole point, you got to just keep at it and not go crazy and blow up your team just becasue you are disappointed with playoff resutls each year.
I agree with most of what you said except about last years draft. I think it’s too early to call anyone a bust. And you have to give credit to the Cowboys as they’ve been a very good drafting team as of late.