Would you make this trade?

Sydla

Reaction score
Well I'll play devils advocate and say it depends who else is on the board and how you grade each player. After this disaster of a season, us as fans deserve a player that we can build around, a player that can change the outcome of games and picking at 4 gives us a better chance than picking at 15. It is certainly nice to have multiple second round picks but there is no sure thing that you will hit on those players.

Other than Elliott, who we are likely not going to take anyway given our philosophy at TB, there's really no one at 4 that's going to change the outcomes of games. This is a draft short on stars but long on depth.

If Wentz, Goff and Ramsey are off the board, you move that pick if you can IMO. It's a no brainer.

Sydla

Reaction score
I absolutely would not make this trade - yes, the value might be there from a points perspective, but in doing so, the Cowboys miss out on one of the five or so true difference makers in this draft. And by difference maker, I mean Ezekiel Elliot. Those extra two second rounders are going to pale in comparison to EE in terms of the impact they make on their respective teams and his impact would be maximized on the Cowboys. So no, I instead make a trade with the Ravens, get one of those additional second rounders instead of two (or possibly a third rounder, whatever equal value), and still draft EE at six.

They likely aren't taking Elliott at 4.

So does that change your thinking?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
You had me until Hackenberg. LOL.

We gonna have to gamble on a decent QB prospect sooner or later, he has all the physical tools and with two years to sit he is the best gamble after the top 3 IMO

robjay04

Reaction score
Other than Elliott, who we are likely not going to take anyway given our philosophy at TB, there's really no one at 4 that's going to change the outcomes of games. This is a draft short on stars but long on depth.

If Wentz, Goff and Ramsey are off the board, you move that pick if you can IMO. It's a no brainer.

Well all we know the team could grade Bosa as the next JJ Watt or Elliott as the next Emmitt Smith and so on. The majority of us have not done the homework ourself, we just go by what the pundits and media tells us. All I'm saying is that if the team grades a player high enough, take him at 4. This team deserves a game changer after the year we had. A fourth pick gives us a much better chance to land that player than a 15th pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
We gonna have to gamble on a decent QB prospect sooner or later, he has all the physical tools and with two years to sit he is the best gamble after the top 3 IMO

Not with the 43rd pick, though.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread but i will say it here. Hackenberg and Brissett are the only QBs after the top 3 that i believe has a chance to be legitimate NFL starting QBs

cowboys2233

Reaction score
They likely aren't taking Elliott at 4.

So does that change your thinking?

Says who? You? Sorry, I don't buy it for one second. I think EE is VERY high on their list and if they don't find a suitable trade partner that allows them to get an extra pick and still pick him up (i.e. the Ravens at 6), they'll pull the trigger at 4.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This trade could be influenced by how many 1st round grades we allocate. In essence we could be moving back to take a guy we have a 2nd rouns grade on at 15.
Is that what you want? If so i would ask for more compensation.
I know typically there are 16-20 1st round grades but what if 16-20 are all OL? Do you want to move back and select Jason Spriggs or Taylor Decker if you follow your board.
Have to be careful not to get too cute in all this

Sydla

Reaction score
Says who? You? Sorry, I don't buy it for one second. I think EE is VERY high on their list and if they don't find a suitable trade partner that allows them to get an extra pick and still pick him up (i.e. the Ravens at 6), they'll pull the trigger at 4.

Says paying attention to what the Cowboys have said and done for two years with regards to the TB position.

1) Jones has been clear that they will not invest a lot of money into the TB position. That's why they only offered $12MM in guaranteed money to Murray, it's why they bowed out of the Miller sweepstakes this FA period when he was going to get $14 million in guaranteed money, it's why they quickly backed off any thought of trading for Murray from the Eagles when they knew he would still be too much money even with a restructure. If they pick Elliott at 4, he will be guaranteed nearly $25MM in salary. That's more than double they were willing to pay Murray and almost double what they were willing to pay Miller.

2) I don't believe they sign Morris if they are seriously considering Elliott. Morris wasn't a hot commodity in free agency and a guy they probably could have waited on if the intention was to pair Elliott with McFadden. I think the plan all along was Morris was brought in to backup McFadden and then they'll use a later pick on a project TB.

The only way I think they will take Elliott at 4 is if they just panic when Goff, Wentz and Ramsey fly off the board 1-2-3 and they can't find a realistic trade down exit plan. In that sense, they may just grab Elliott because they feel boxed in.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hell yes

From the value chart...

#4=1800

#15 (1050) + #43 (470) + #45 (450) = 1970

What about this trade:

Dallas gives #4(1800) & #67 (255) = 2055

Dallas gets the Titans #15 (1050) #33 (580) & 43 (470) = 2100

they probably wouldn't go for this but which would you prefer? Points wise Dallas' comes out better with your trade plus they keep their 3rd rounder.

Since I prefer more picks, I think I'd lean toward your trade

Thing is, in this scenario TEN is getting a player you know they had rated higher than the 4th overall player in this draft. So Tunsil's worth something more than the 1800 points from the chart. That grey area ought to justify a small points differential in Dallas' favor. That is, if they actually want him enough to try to trade back up.