CFZ Would you prefer an all-in year?

btgboys41

Reaction score
I assume the Rams approach defines all in. I think Jerry is wrong that Philly took the same approach since they came out with more good draft picks, not less.

If the Rams approach, then it starts with getting a high profile, top QB and letting go of a middle-ish QB. Seems the only one of those out there is Rodgers. If they wanted to twist their current and future salary cap into a pretzel and offload Dak, and bring in Rodgers, I wouldn’t hate it. However, it would blow up in their faces cuz everything they seem to do blows up in their faces.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Absolutely. There is nothing like winning the super bowl...I cherish the 4 I witnessed as a fan. I want to witness 1 more before the grim reaper comes calling...

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely. There is nothing like winning the super bowl...I cherish the 4 I witnessed as a fan. I want to witness 1 more before the grim reaper comes calling...
I was fortunate to watch all five. I graduated from HS in 72, so I was able to enjoy the first SB win as a senior. The two Ice Bowls were rough and the three lost SB's were even worse. But the first win was magic! All said, I really hope this organization can get things aligned for a sixth win in the near future

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

What say you? You Risky Rick or Safe Sam?

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?

No!.......... I have zero confidence Stephen can get us out of the issues that comes with it IF it fails.

mcmvp

Reaction score
The “go for it year” is not an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing gamble. To me, the key to getting better is to know where your needs are and to be aggressive without selling all your assets.

For example the eagles got very aggressive this last off-season with both trades and FA acquisitions. BUT- they did not do what the rams did by giving away all their draft assets. In fact, the eagles draft next year includes this:
  • Two first round picks
  • 2nd round pick
  • 3rd round pick
  • Two 7th round picks
The eagles actually have FOUR picks in the top 100 next draft. So they went from a 9-8 #7 seed playoff team in 2021 (with an early exit) to a 14-3 team with the #1 seed and a berth in the SB. In one year.

The key problems for the Cowboys front office IMO is this:
  1. They overvalue their own talent. Jerry looks at his players like a dad watching his sons play high school football. He’s proud of them! Real GMs look at their players with a wary eye, not the eye of a father. They aren’t afraid to cut or trade anyone at any time.
  2. They have to be able to accurately evaluate their team’s weaknesses. When you have a hard time admitting you made a mistake on a player, or are sentimental about a player who no longer has the same value they once had, it’s very hard to get better.
So again, this organization will repeat the same mistakes until they learn how to get more aggressive in the off-season. In fact, the most Important part of every season CAN be the off-season.
Good post...people think Eagles went all-in because of their mid-season pickups and signing one year deals to someone like Bradbury. That is hardly giving up the future for the present like the Rams did. No, the Eagles won't be able to keep every player - no team ever can. But even if they have to part with Bradbury (or any one year rental), they get a comp pick when the next team signs them. Possibly as high as a 3rd rounder for a guy like Bradbury. It's using the system to the team's advantage. They also value the QB position more than any other team. They drafted Hurts in round 2 right after extending Wentz. I expect them to continue this practice...

And completely agree with JJ's fault being overvaluing their own talent. He is loyal to a fault. Zeke and Dak should never have received the contracts they did. I think Jerry is the last GM to still believe that RBs can have long careers and remain productive.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yes. Wouldn't have said the same thing a few years ago, but I, like Jerry, ain't getting any younger.

And it would shut up the Saints fans where I live, with their ONE Super Bowl, from saying "Yeah, but we won one more recently than you".

:thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was fortunate to watch all five. I graduated from HS in 72, so I was able to enjoy the first SB win as a senior. The two Ice Bowls were rough and the three lost SB's were even worse. But the first win was magic! All said, I really hope this organization can get things aligned for a sixth win in the near future
Two Ice Bowls???

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. Wouldn't have said the same thing a few years ago, but I, like Jerry, ain't getting any younger.

And it would shut up the Saints fans where I live, with their ONE Super Bowl, from saying "Yeah, but we won one more recently than you".

:thumbup:
I’d remind those Who Dat fans that it took them 43 years to win one. And they had bags over their heads for most of it. Shouldnt have to take any crap off of them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Like many have said.

At some point you have to go all in. You don't have to pay non elite guys elite money because your scared to loose a good player. Imagine having a better WR next to Lamb last year and a better RB after Pollard got hurt. maybe the offense doesn't struggle and maybe they have a chance to compete with the big boys.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I wouldn't go all in on this roster. We aren't 1-2 players away, unless it is a better QB, which isn't happening.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
This FO wouldn't know how to go all in!! especially with that clown Stephen Jones in the mix, All in for them would be signing OBJ!!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm going to echo what some others in this thread have already said......................we don't even need an "all in" season. Just show us fans some ambition that you want to improve this team. Grab some players in FA. Stop being cheap. It's incredible that Dallas has the most valuable franchise in the entire galaxy, yet they have the cheapest owners. Our owner Jerry "it would be shocking if you knew the size of the check I would write if it guaranteed me a Super Bowl" Jones, yet the guy refuses to open his checkbook to bring in actual talent.

I actually miss the crazy wheeling and dealing Jerry Jones making dumb decisions like trading away draft picks for a Joey Galloway or Roy Williams. Yeah, those were not great trades, but at least they were exciting. They showed us chance. They showed us willingness. They showed us something!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The owner likes shooting his mouth off about what other teams do, particularly the last SB winner and the NFC rep this year. He doesn't like the risk.

Would you take an all-in year if it meant losing seasons for the following 2-3 years? And no assurance your all-in risk even pays off in the season.

Ya see, that's his problem, being irrelevant so he doesn't get so many interviews and face time. That's all it is, it isn't about the downside of the risk because they will still buy tickets, he won't lose anything monetarily by going all-in.

It is an interesting situation if an owner does say go for it as Kronke did in LA and Lurie has in PHL because they're won the bet. Now, how long it takes LA to recover to contention status remains to be seen. And we have yet to see the 2023 PHL roster.

How bad do you want that 6th ring? Willing to have a couple of back-to-back 6 or 7 win seasons to go for it? It's one thing to win it all but are you prepared to lose it, not make the SB and then suffer for a couple of seasons?

No definitely not. Not an all in year where the next 3 years are toast. Maybe an all in year where you give yourself a 3 year window.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Is there any Cowboy fan that would trust Jerry with planning, managing and executing an “all in“ year that would be successful?

fansince68

Reaction score
I would if we had an all in roster. This team is far from all in. If we are going to stick with Dak, he is going to need everything prefect for him. 3 very good wide receivers, a good running game, good O-line and a great defense. Too may holes to fill for sub par QB play.
Well said my friend...

mrmojo

Reaction score
This FO would go all in and end up missing the playoffs....so Cowboys now a days...