Would you take a RB in the 2nd?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So the Saints had great success with 2 running backs, therefore the Cowboys need to be a copycat and do the same, right?

The Lions drafted the "BPA" a few years back, wide receiver in the first round for three straight drafts. How's that work out? Multiple SBs?

No.

At this point the Cowboys have built the offense around Zeke and a stout offensive line. Worked very well in 2016 even with a rookie quarterback. Build on what you have, jerking back and forth between offensive philosophies every 2 years is not a good idea.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
" I just don't trust Elliott to stay out of trouble. That video of him pulling down that girls top....just stinks of a sexual preditor. The guy is gonna mess up a again....Just watch. Something just isn't right w/ that guy"

Oh I see, ONE minor incident of an young guy getting caught up in the excitement of an event and you can call him a sexual predator, right?

Care to list for us all your degrees and experience in psychoanalysis?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If he is the best player on the board, and that's a big if, then maybe. I think 2nd round is too high for a RB, myself, I think this draft is pretty deep at that position. I will say this, I am not sure that we should be comfortable in the fact that we took Elliott in the first and that because of this, we should be opposed to spending another high pick on a back. I mean, normally I would follow this theory and be opposed. However, I am not as convinced that we will re-ink Elliott, once his initial contract is up. It could happen but honestly, I can see us not doing that as well.

We may need a feature back option who can come in and start for us. JMO

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably not. Our running game needs better coaching more than additional talent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I like the kid from North Carolina St., Jaylen Samuels. I think he might surprise some folks. He can do it all, he just doesn't have that burner speed everybody wants. I think he will be around later and I think he might be an everydown back eventually.

I like Kalen Ballage from ASU. He reminds me a little bit of David Johnson. He may be around a little alter as well, depending on what he does at the Combine.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hell no. A backup RB is nowhere near the top of our needs list

kskboys

Reaction score
OMG, why would this even be asked!!!! A RB? Of all things.

conner01

Reaction score
So the Saints had great success with 2 running backs, therefore the Cowboys need to be a copycat and do the same, right?

The Lions drafted the "BPA" a few years back, wide receiver in the first round for three straight drafts. How's that work out? Multiple SBs?

No.

At this point the Cowboys have built the offense around Zeke and a stout offensive line. Worked very well in 2016 even with a rookie quarterback. Build on what you have, jerking back and forth between offensive philosophies every 2 years is not a good idea.
I don’t think it changes your philosophy
More like having a guy they can use like they used Dunbar who when healthy was very effective

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
More like having a guy they can use like they used Dunbar who when healthy was very effective
Yep. Don’t think of drafting someone to take Zeke off the field, think of a guy like a WR who would be effective in this offense. For this team it’s like a Kamara type guy who can do screens, jet sweeps and occasional up the middle runs until you can trust Dak’s accuracy.

In a perfect world I’d want 6-4 Courtland Sutton but I don’t think we’ll see him reach his potential until we have a reliable downfield passing offense.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What about if they went dual back in same set? Take Keith Smith off field and with both backs you could do some triple option 2-3 times a game.

Also the back could be the real Jet Sweep back where you fake to him and hand to Zeke. It would give defense pause.

I don’t believe Zeke should come off field often. I would rather take guys like Keith Smith or Witten off from time to time.

Give the other back a full series in each half (avg 5-7 plays each drive)

Use dual backs 5-10 plays a game that’s anywhere from 15-24 plays a game plus special teams if they can be another returner.

As long as they make big plays 3 times a game and get 5-10 touches a game I think it’s worth it. Even if they don’t touch it a lot they are still giving the defense something to think about.

Right now defenses key on Zeke and man everywhere else with some brackets on Dez and Beasely. It’s very easy to stop.

I’m thinking of non traditional ways to have more threats. I’m not sold on adding another typical WR because I don’t trust Dak to get the most out of them.

However adding another threat out of backfield behind this line and using Dak’s mobility more can get you another 50-75 yards a game.

Nicely stated. I think we would all prefer not to take another RB in the second BUT we cannot take a guy just because it happens to be a position of need. We have to take talent first & foremost. If RB & a position of need player are rated very similar, fine take the other guy.

Also, i think it is important to point out that we aren't talking a one horse pony kind of player (strictly an "in space" guy like Dunbar). We are talking a player who can do it all so that if he is in a single back set, it doesn't tell the Defense diddly. As much as I like Zeke & understand he can be on the field 3 downs, it would be nice to know your offense is still just as potent if he isn't.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"We have to take talent first & foremost."

Generally speaking, that's a good philosophy. Landry drafted Mel Renfro, who mostly played running back in college, but made him a safety/cornerback. Thing is, Renfro also ran track very successfully, so he was a huge talent overall. So that worked our very well, 10 Pro Bowl/HOF player.

But you also cannot ignore need, let's say T. Smith pops up this month and says he's retiring due to his back, and L. Collins tears up a knee while weight lifting. (Extreme example, yes but bear with me).

And the best talent at no. 19 is a running back. Are you going to take him and have to rely on Green and Bell at the tackle spots? How's that going to work? Think Elliot or your brand spanking new running back is going to have good success running the ball, and is Dak going to have good protection in passing situations? Nope. So your offense will probably be awful.

How many crunching hits can Dak take before he turns into another David Carr? He'll have to run more because he has no time to find receivers and the chances of injury increases dramatically.

Have to balance talent (bpa) with need, can't go 100% either way...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

We have Switzer already, yes he's a receiver but the Packers converted their receiver Montgomery to running back and he did pretty well.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you look at this team position by position, one thing stands out - the Cowboys have talent at every position - quarterback, running back, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line, etc.

What they don't have at MOST positions is either more than one very talented player at a position (Lee, Martin, e.g.) or no depth.

You can draft just about any position for talent, and he'll be able to contribute to the team. So in that regard drafting for talent is good, but again if that talent is at one of the few well stocked positions (receiver, cornerback) you need to pass on him and take another talented player at a most needed position.

Let's face it, even at no. 19, whoever you draft will have "talent", so even drafting for need won't hurt you...

The Realist

Reaction score

conner01

Reaction score
Yep. Don’t think of drafting someone to take Zeke off the field, think of a guy like a WR who would be effective in this offense. For this team it’s like a Kamara type guy who can do screens, jet sweeps and occasional up the middle runs until you can trust Dak’s accuracy.

In a perfect world I’d want 6-4 Courtland Sutton but I don’t think we’ll see him reach his potential until we have a reliable downfield passing offense.
I really like Sutton but I think he goes before 19
There may be other rb’s but one thing I like about him is he is a good runner on top of his receiving ability

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Someone on a local sports talk show here in ATL brought up Michel's fumble rate last week and all of the hosts and callers were really surprised. No one could remember many of his fumbles. Turns out that if you look at his record of fumbles, 7 of them came in his first 2 seasons. 5 came in his Soph year alone when he was the primary ball carrier (nick chubb missed that season with an ACL tear). His 4 year fumble totals go 2-5-3-2. Out of his 12 career fumbles, he's lost 5 of them. 2 in his fresh year, then 1 each in each of the next years. That soph year when he had 5 fumbles, only 1 of them was lost. I don't think anyone should be concerned about his fumble rate - his Jr and Sr years he fumbled 5 times in total and lost 2.

This is all moot, though, because im pretty sure he's going to end up sneaking into the back part of the 1st round. Even if he's there in the 2nd, this team has other needs asides from a home-run threat part time back. Namely OL depth. and WR WR WR.