Twitter: Would you trade for Robert Quinn?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dan Quinn had known that they would draft Sam Williams and sign Fowler, I don't think he would have wanted to re-sign Gregory.

Conspiracy Theory:
- I don't think Stephen Jones wanted to re-sign Gregory.
- SJ knew that Gregory was a favorite of Jerry; therefore, SJ intentionally irritated Gregory and his agent.
- That made it appear to Jerry that Gregory made the decision to leave.
I think that’s actually possible that SJ did that. But what kind of strange organization do we have that has to play these kind of mind games to keep the 80 year old owner/GM/sock sorter happy?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Indeed, Quinn, Parsons, Dlaw, Armstrong, Fowler & Sam Williams? Fierce group sure. But Quinn is 32. Keep moving forward w/those young studs Jerry. It doesn't pay to go backwards any longer in this young NFL league.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Cowboys acquired Quinn for 1 year, 6M with a 6th round pick

They acquired Fowler as a free agent for 1 year, 3M.

Robert Quinn would never have an 18 sack season with Dan Quinn as his D-Coordinator, because Robert Quinn is a terrible run defender.
- His snaps would be limited with Dan Quinn as DC because somebody else would play base downs.

That's if Quinn could see to welcome and endure him as a full time player despite his run defense flaws.
NFL teams are suffering from lack of pass rush and desperate for pass rushers that they''ll risk those type deficiencies.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I would if they would take a 6 or 7. Anything more would be a waste. I prefer help at LB and OL instead.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Dan Quinn had known that they would draft Sam Williams and sign Fowler, I don't think he would have wanted to re-sign Gregory.

Conspiracy Theory:
- I don't think Stephen Jones wanted to re-sign Gregory.
- SJ knew that Gregory was a favorite of Jerry; therefore, SJ intentionally irritated Gregory and his agent.
- That made it appear to Jerry that Gregory made the decision to leave.

Conspiracy Theory II
- The Jones were well on track in wanting to re-sign Gregory to a multi-year deal; They were committed in continued investment in Gregory
but apparently not by all and any means.

- The big monkey wrench was purely the terms conditions and clauses that was input into Cowboys- Gregory contact, much to his dismay.
- Cowboys apparently did not trust Gregory, per past suspensions and made escape clauses to protect themselves.

- Broncos were in the mix of recruiting Randy to Denver, Cowboys had first dibs on RG as he had interest to remain a Cowboy,
but not at those contract terms,
Cowboys called Gregory's bluff, Jerry attempted to save the deal but it was too late. Likely dissention in the ranks among the Jones.
Rumors persist that one of Stephen's capologists was allowed to write up the terms and conditions per Stephen's permission..

- Reports were Denver's offer wasn't much if any different than Cowboys dollar amount- but it included no clauses and terms
Such Randy bolted to Denver, leaving us with Plan B at RDE.

- What happened to those who believe and totally convinced that Jerry has the final say so and green light on Cowboys operations ?
Everything starts and stops with Jerry ?

- Also if this is Stephen vs Jerry, a Jones civil war, then expect a great deal more to come out from behind closed doors
than what was previously so well hidden.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Mr_437

Reaction score
Albeit a very good one, Robert Quinn, would be a progress stopper. You can never have enough pass rushers is the motto, and Quinn would supercharge the pass rush. Tough call, but after paying DA and using a 2nd rounder on Sam I say trust the process.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I acknowledge he is a good pass rusher ... but this is the same guy we picked up as a free agent for the 2019 season who is now three years older.

He may very well have another productive season but I'm not trading anything for a one dimensional player of that age unless I am absolutely desperate.

We have a good mix of youth & experience and we need to get them on the field. Plus we are trying to get better at run defense rather than plug a known liability into the rotation.

So, no offense to the player, but this is a non starter for me.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m certainly not saying Quinn sux or that he’s not more proven than the two guys I mentioned. I just think at 32 Quinn’s not worth a draft pick or $12 mil a yr. Maybe 3 yrs ago.

1) He had 18.5 sacks last year.

2) He's better in his 30's than those two stiffs you mentioned have ever been.

conner01

Reaction score
The Cowboys acquired Quinn for 1 year, 6M with a 6th round pick

They acquired Fowler as a free agent for 1 year, 3M.

Robert Quinn would never have an 18 sack season with Dan Quinn as his D-Coordinator, because Robert Quinn is a terrible run defender.
- His snaps would be limited with Dan Quinn as DC because somebody else would play base downs.
I agree
And those pass rush snaps should go to Sam

Proof

Reaction score
That first 4 sack season was when Quinn missed half a year due to injury. Fowler was getting 3 and 4 sacks in full years, so it’s not just 2021 that’s an anomaly in this comparison.

Part of what’s being omitted there is Quinn had 11.5 for the Cowboys. He had 18.5 for the Bears, he had 8.5 for the Dolphins, he had 19 in the pre-Donald Rams. He is producing in every single system he’s put in. He’s reliable production.

Fowler was not producing under Quinn in Atlanta, and he had 1 sole year in Jacksonville where he had more than 4 sacks. 8 sacks is a huge success story for him there. That’s less than half of what Quinn did last year. They traded him to LA because he was a bust.

Jacksonville dumped him. Atlanta’s big contract with him was a complete failure. You have him at 2.9m$ because that was his best valuation around the league. When you traded for Quinn, that ended up being a steal. When Chicago got a 18 sack player for what they did, that ended up being a steal. The narratives are not wrong in this comparison.

There is Aaron Donald Dante Fowler and no Aaron Donald Dante Fowler. They are two very different players.

I agree. But now we get the Micah Parsons Dante Fowler. Fingers crossed

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’d rather use Sam in that role
Why draft a promising rookie if you aren’t gonna use him

See what you are saying but a couple of days ago, DLaw said he had a long way to go. So I'm not sure we can expect much from this year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Quinn didn't show up for mandatory mini camp. Do you think it's because he wants to play for a winner? Or do you think he wants to see extra money be put into his contract? Difficultly level to this question is a 2 on a scale of 1 to 100.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Would I trade for him? Hell yes.

Now the real question is what would you give up to get him and what contract will he accept so he's not disgruntled? Decent base salary with lots of incentives? yes, huge guaranteed money probably not.

conner01

Reaction score
See what you are saying but a couple of days ago, DLaw said he had a long way to go. So I'm not sure we can expect much from this year.
Reps are how you get better. But I expect they use him on obvious pass downs so he only has to do one thing. Quinn only does one thing so they would pretty much be doing the same thing
I think on some pass downs they slide Dlaw inside with Sam and Micah on the edge
I don’t see them adding a DE myself