Would you trade him for Dak?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Probably none of them. I don't think any of the young QBs are incredibly special. I like Carr and Winston more than any of them, but I don't think they're that special. I think Bortles and Mariotta are overrated. Wentz is the only one I'd consider. He might actually be something special, and he's also a rookie. Just not sure if he's a better fit for Dallas than Dak, although he might ultimately be the better QB. The other guys I don't think will be better QBs.
Romo is way better than Carr

Gabe

Reaction score
I love what Dak is doing here in Dallas. The leadership, the poise, the accuracy, decision making, etc, etc. I firmly believe he's the future. We have not seen this type of excitement for a young player, especially at QB, in a long time here in Dallas.

But I want to change the conversation a little and look at some hypotheticals which involve the other young QB's in the league. A would you trade Dak right now for QB X or QB Y.

We have spent countless hours debating Dak vs. Romo or Dak vs. Wentz. but lets compare Dak versus the careers of some of the QBs around his age (23). Most of these guys have more experience than Dak but with varied results. A few guys were top 5 picks. This is just for fun and conversation sake.

Dak Prescott - Age 23. 4th round pick. Rookie year. 3-1 as a starter. Stepping up for a team that desperately needed quality QB play after losing their starter for the 2nd season in a row. 3 Tds and 0 ints.

Would you trade Dak for any of these guys?

Jameis Winston- Age 22. 2nd year. Former Heisman trophy winner and National Champion. #1 overall pick. Over 4,000 passing yards and 22 Td's as a rookie. 7-13 so far as a starter in the NFL.

Marcus Mariota- Age 22. 2nd year. #2 Overall pick. 2,800 passing yards and 19 Td's as a rookie. 4-12 as a starter.

Derek Carr- Age 25. 3rd year. 2nd Round Pick. Has improved stats each year. 3,200 yards and 21 Tds as a rookie to almost 4,000 yards and 32 Td's in his second season. Carr is lighting it up in his 3rd season 9 Td's to 1 int. 13-23 as a starter on a much improved Raiders team

Blake Bortles- Age 24. 3rd season. #3 Overall pick. Big jump from season 1 to season 2. Threw for 2,900 yards and 11 Tds rookie year but broke out with a 4,400 and 35 Td season in year 2. Interception prone with 41 career ints. Hard to praise him or fault him for his stats due to playing on such a bad team that is always throwing the ball. 9-25 as a starter.

Jimmy Garapolo- Age 24. 3rd season. 2nd round pick. Very limited stats in 13 games played, but has looked like a future star in his short time. Coached by Belichick and the under-study of Brady has to give him an edge on the field.

Before the year started it might have been a no-brainer to trade our 4th round pick for any those guys. But now you've seen him on the field. You've seen him play great with a star on his helmet. He's the future. Would you trade him for another teams future at QB?
I wouldn't trade him for any of those on the list. He's THAT good and I have that much faith in him.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Carr probably, but maybe not by the end of this season if Dak keeps progressing like he has here early.
What did Carr do in his first 4 starts. Dak will only get better.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
He plays for NE.

Cassell was all pro with NE. An 11 win season.

It's the system, IMO.

Really it's the system? Then why did the 3rd string quarterback get kicked by the Bills yesterday? If you don't have some talent the system isn't going to be much use to you. Is the Dallas system good? Why has Dak done well with it, because he obviously is very talented.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Of those guys listed, hell no to any of them. I'd much rather have Dak. Wentz is the only one that is even in the running, IMO.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Really it's the system? Then why did the 3rd string quarterback get kicked by the Bills yesterday? If you don't have some talent the system isn't going to be much use to you. Is the Dallas system good? Why has Dak done well with it, because he obviously is very talented.
I gave you a seasons worth of evidence with Cassell......You got one game with a rookie third stringer.

It's the system.

And of course talent is essential.............across every team in the NFL.

marchetta

Reaction score
Garapolo is better than most think. Watch out for this guy.
They said the same thing about Cassel, until he left NE. (Yeah, I know he made the Pro Bowl with the Chiefs, but that negates my narrative). :p

Eddie

Reaction score
Garapolo is better than most think. Watch out for this guy.

Someone is going to pay him handsomely. NE will let him walk in order to keep Brady. Bad move. They have their future franchise QB, and they're going to let him walk.