Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

cowboysooner

Reaction score
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

Eddie

Reaction score
I would trade any of our players for top round draft picks.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
im not opposed to this at all, but who would we use for the #1 overall? is there anyone that stands out other then Clowney maybe?

edit: nevermind forgot Clowney will not be aviliable until next year

RS12

Reaction score
Top pick this year is likely Luke Joeckel.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Not unless we get a pick that insures drafting a proper replacement QB and another high pick as well no later than next year and in the first round. Preferably the top of next years draft as well.

In fact it'd likely take a high one this year with the above plus another 1-3 round pick this year plus a pick next year.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Year or two too late, IMO....the time to do the was last year for Luck, better yet, they should have tanked and traded the year before so maybe they get the #1 pick to use for Luck plus have a slew of picks for trading Romo, etc

They probably would be in better shape cap wise and just as competitive in 2013 as they will be without doing this but the long term future would have been brighter

rkell87

Reaction score
Future;4943130 said:
Or in 2012.

really? I think especially with hind sight I would trade tony for luck but even without hind sight I would have done it last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is not a player I would not trade if the offer was good enough. I would want more than a 1st rd pick, if that is all that would be offered then keep your 1 I'll stick with Romo.

silver

Reaction score
rkell87;4943142 said:
really? I think especially with hind sight I would trade tony for luck but even without hind sight I would have done it last year.
I would've traded the whole draft for Andrew Luck or RG3. Everybody.

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
Yes, i would.

Then trade down, get a bunch of great picks, re-tool our O-line and D-line completely, use Orton for next year where we would draft a QB.

Of course, it would probably mean no playoffs next year, but it would be worth it if we can get 3-4 SOLID core pieces for our lines in 1 draft.

Of course, from what i see i'm in the minority. :p

RS12

Reaction score
In 2014 you are talking Bridgewater, Clowney or Lee. Like that alot better.

DFWJC

Reaction score
rkell87;4943142 said:
That's what he was saying.

I think all GMs would make that trade for Luck.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Yes, I'd do it, but then I'd consider flipping that pick for a package which would include a #1 pick next year (preferably to a terrible team with a poor QB [to insure losses] i.e. Jax, Raiders, Cards), so that we could have ammo for a potentially better QB draft next year.

We need the closest thing to potential fanchise QB possibility as possible so I would want options...plenty of options.

As it is now, I don't dislike Romo, but I just feel like we're riding out our time with him, instead of being proactive.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If KC resigns Bowe, that would be ideal for Romo and KC. With Jamaal Charles and Hillis, Romo could play action all day long to Bowe and Breaston.