Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you are the Chiefs holding the number 1 overall, I could see them offering that pick for Dallas' #1 plus Romo. Maybe even out #1, ## and Romo.
I suspect that is what they mean.
The trade would never be straight up 1st overall for Tony.

The value of the 1st overall--most years--is about the vlalue of nearly THREE mid-late 1st rounders (18th). Would you trade Tony for three 1st rounders in this year's draft Most certainly anyone would.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
RS12;4943105 said:
Top pick this year is likely Luke Joeckel.

I doubt it. He's a good player but I think you have to believe that if we made this trade, the Cowboys would not take a OT first. It would depend on who's picking 1st as to what player would be taken 1st IMO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943184 said:
I doubt it. He's a good player but I think you have to believe that if we made this trade, the Cowboys would not take a OT first. It would depend on who's picking 1st as to what player would be taken 1st IMO.

We would roll that 1st overall into a couple of 1st rounders this year and maybe a 2nd and 3rd rounder too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

C'mon the Cheifs aren't going to give up the #1 overall pick for Romo. :rolleyes: We have some real dreamers on this board. Romo is almost 33 and has a losing record the last 3 seasons plus his latest choke job has caused his stock to go down. He may only be worth a 2nd round pick if even that and he's certainly more valuable to the Cowboys than a #2 pick would be. I've said it over and over you can't move Romo until you have his replacement on the team. It has to be a QB that gives the Cowboys at least as good a chance to win as he does.

DFWJC

Reaction score
KJJ;4943188 said:
C'mon the Cheifs aren't going to give up the #1 overall pick for Romo. :rolleyes: We have some real dreamers on this board. Romo is almost 33 and has a losing record the last 3 seasons plus his latest choke job has caused his stock to go down. He may only be worth a 2nd round pick if even that and he's certainly more valuable to the Cowboys than a #2 pick would be. I've said it over and over you can't move Romo until you have his replacement on the team. It has to be a QB that gives the Cowboys at least as good a chance to win as he does.
I think they mean Romo plus our #1 pick.

Zordon

Reaction score
Derekmtl85;4943147 said:
Yes, i would.

Then trade down, get a bunch of great picks, re-tool our O-line and D-line completely, use Orton for next year where we would draft a QB.

Of course, it would probably mean no playoffs next year, but it would be worth it if we can get 3-4 SOLID core pieces for our lines in 1 draft.

Of course, from what i see i'm in the minority. :p

The majority of the smart posters agree with you. A proactive franchise would do this. Cowboys used to be that. Not anymore. They will ride romo, witten, and ware until they're applying for social security.

rkell87

Reaction score
DFWJC;4943157 said:
That's what he was saying.

I think all GMs would make that trade for Luck.

ah, I took the first part of the comment he responded to as the phrase he was commenting about and not the second part, my bad

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Depends on who they are targeting to draft. I hope it's not a QB because none of them in this draft is worth starting a team around. The QB class is extremely weak this draft.

If we can get a franchise OL or premiere pass rusher, then I'm all for it. Might as well get something for him. I don't think he warrants a #1 pick, though.

superpunk

Reaction score
CATCH17;4943155 said:
This year no. Next year yes.
The bonus is that if we did it this season we'd be picking #1 again next season.

It's a process.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
DFWJC;4943173 said:
If you are the Chiefs holding the number 1 overall, I could see them offering that pick for Dallas' #1 plus Romo. Maybe even out #1, ## and Romo.
I suspect that is what they mean.
The trade would never be straight up 1st overall for Tony.

The value of the 1st overall--most years--is about the vlalue of nearly THREE mid-late 1st rounders (18th). Would you trade Tony for three 1st rounders in this year's draft Most certainly anyone would.

I think that was some of the point. KC needs a QB and they really don't need a whole lot else. They are very similar to Denver last year. There is not a top 5 worthy QB.

There is not much difference in player quality between the #1 pick and the #5 pick.

Dallas would never do the deal simply to move up. That would defeat the purpose of having multiple high picks to rebuild.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Lets draft an O-linemen with first round pick we get for Romo.

THEN we will have a better line and no QB :laugh1:

But seriously, even I would consider it.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I would trade him in a second for a #1 draft pick. This is the only year we would have left to do it though and Jerry can't wait to resign Romo to a longer contract, so it will never happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;4943187 said:
We would roll that 1st into a couple of 1st rounders and maybe a 2nd and 3rd rounder too.

I'm sure we would and I would make that trade if it were me but I'm specifically talking about Joeckel being the 1st pick in this draft.

If it were me and I had the chance to trade with KC, I would take it. I would then immediately hit up Az, Cleveland and the Jets to see who would put together the best package for a trade. I would run with Orton, maybe pick up Sanchez for insurance and draft a QB in this draft for development and that QB might be Manuel from FSU or Klein from KSt.

I would position myself to get Clowney in next years draft.

I would franchise and trade Spencer, flip Ware to the left side and make Clowney my new ROLB.

That would seriously fix our cap, would provide extra picks to bring in much needed help at OL ,DL or Safety and would allow us to sign some quality FAs.

I would do that in a heartbeat, in a perfect world of course.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
KJJ;4943188 said:

If the #1 pick is a left tackle or defensive end who is about as good of a left tackle or defensive end as is available at #5, then those are going to be the values that people use. Every #2 pick is not RG3 who is worth #6 + 2 1's and a #2. This year the #1 pick is probably not going to get you a player as good as Matt Kalil.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DFWJC;4943192 said:

That wasn't mentioned in the post I addressed but still the Chiefs would be foolish to make a trade for a soon to be 33 year old QB who has a 1-3 playoff record and folds in pressure situations. The Cowboys have a losing record under Romo the past 3 seasons if you have the #1 overall pick you're looking for a player who'll make a huge impact on your team and be around for the next decade not a 32 year old QB who could be on the way down in the next couple of years.

The Cowboys haven't made the playoffs with Romo since 09 so I can't imagine the Chiefs would be thinking he's just the guy to turn them around. Plus if you trade Romo this offseason there could be a pretty significant cap hit. I haven't looked into it but I believe there's some ramifications that could make trading Romo difficult.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;4943192 said:

No. I would not do this if it costed us Romo and our #1. The problem for KC is that there really is no sure thing QB in this draft. Geno is not a sure thing and neither is Barkley. Romo is better then both of those guys IMO. He is older but he's a young 32 because he didn't play much his first 3 years.

Would KC do this? Well, you first have to ask what Pork Chop thinks of Romo. I suspect he has a pretty high opinion of him. You also have to think about what he has done in the past. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility because I think that Reid believes that he could draft a QB later and develop him and lets face it, Reid is pretty good at doing just that.

KC is a lot closer then a lot of people think. Offensively, the are 5th in the league in rushing. They have a good young OL and talent at WR.

They gave up a lot of yards but they were something like 8th in pts per game. That's what defense is really about. They have some good young talent in KC defensively. They get a good QB and they could be competing for a championship in a matter of a season or two.

Seriously, this is not as far fetched as you might think.

Will it happen? I don't know but I believe that if the Chefs cut Cassel, they free up something like 5 Million in cap space. Would be interesting.

RS12

Reaction score
The problem with owning the number one pick in 2013 is nobody is going to give you three ones and a two for it. No franchise QB this year. Not as valuable as last year or next year.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Absolutely not. For Who????
Next year ,maybe.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Eddie;4943085 said:
I would trade any of our players for top round draft picks.

Even Dez?

Smh....he's the only Cowboy worth keeping without thinking

cowboysooner

Reaction score
KJJ;4943234 said:
That wasn't mentioned in the post I addressed but still the Chiefs would be foolish to make a trade for a soon to be 33 year old QB who has a 1-3 playoff record and folds in pressure situations. The Cowboys have a losing record under Romo the past 3 seasons if you have the #1 overall pick you're looking for a player who'll make a huge impact on your team and be around for the next decade not a 32 year old QB who could be on the way down in the next couple of years.

The Cowboys haven't made the playoffs with Romo since 09 so I can't imagine the Chiefs would be thinking he's just the guy to turn them around. Plus if you trade Romo this offseason there could be a pretty significant cap hit. I haven't looked into it but I believe there's some ramifications that could make trading Romo difficult.

From the Chiefs point of view, they desperately need a quarterback. Tony Romo would get them closer to the super bowl over the next 3 years than Matt Flynn, Mark Sanchez or Alex Smith. Geno Smith is Alex Smith part deaux.

Trading Romo lightens our cap. He is going into the last year of a deal, so there is no more bonus to accelerate. Romo will cost $14-$17mm going forward.